Best ways to prevent a bricked wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chaosdesigner, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. chaosdesigner
    OP

Newcomer chaosdesigner Newbie

Germany
    Hey Guys,

I have been researching alot about wii hacking recently and I have got a few questions. In every Guide and Tutorial you find in the web they warn you about bricked Wiis. So what is a bricked Wii? And how can you prevent it? I only found limited answers to these questions. What exactly a bricked Wii is, is pretty easy to understand, but there seem to be alot of ways to cause this state. I have only found 2 ways sofar, please correct me if these are false. The most common case seems to be that games with a different region code have updated the wii, and so bricked it. Another way appearantly is when you delete ios Files. So what else can cause a bricked wii? Im planing on doing this on my brithers wii so I want to make sure I tell him the risk and I really want to tell him that I have everthing under control.

Thank you for your help

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    a brick is simply said making your wii as useful as a brick (which is not very useful...)
    You already named two of the bricks, but yes there are more of them:
    Semi-brick (opera error screen in settings), Full-brick (opera error screen), Region brick (wrong region disc update) and Banner brick (some kind of full brick, occurs when installing a wad with wrong dimensions of the banner)

To protect/recover from bricks, installing preloader is advised

3. ClaKK

Member ClaKK GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Those are two common ways, another is installing a channel with a banner of the wrong size...

To prevent bricks, install Preloader. With it, even if you brick, you'll have access to many functions to un-brick the console!

Bye!

4. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The best way to prevent a bricked Wii is to not fuck about with it.

5. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    The best way to prevent a brick, is by doing your research, and not rushing into modifying your Wii. There are tons of tutorials which are usually pinned (or "Stickied") at the top of every forum. I suggest reading everything in there first, since a lot of your questions will be answered.

Know your Wii, your system menu version, your region, and which methods/hacks are compatible. Never install anything, especially .wads, unless you can read confirmation of it's legitimacy, or proper functionality. If you aren't 110% sure of what your doing, you'll probably brick your system. I'm a very careful person, and I'll spend countless hours reading in the forums and researching, for what only takes 10 minutes of actual modifying.

6. chaosdesigner
    OP

Newcomer chaosdesigner Newbie

Germany
    How big is the danger of a bricked wii when downgrading from 3.4E to 3.2E ? For Eaxmple if you use this Guide?

Thank you for all of your help

7. TheRocket

Newcomer TheRocket Newbie

Germany
    If you do all the things exactly how they are descibed in the tutorials, I think it is not very dangerous to downgrade your Wii. But you have to know what you are doing.
    I have already downgraded my Wii twice and it still works [​IMG]
    I recommend to use the Preloader to prevent the Wii from a brick