best way top play Wii GCN games on the same external drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by kaitlin, Jan 3, 2017.

1. kaitlin
    OP

kaitlin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2014
    United States
    Tucson, Arizona
    so i have a 750 gig external HDD and im wanting to know the best way to run both Wii and GCN games off the same drive im using Wii backup manager

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Make sure to format your drive to fat32, that way you will be able to run both GC and Wii game from it.

Wii games, use any loader, I personally recommend USB Loader GX, and GC games, use Nintendont.

3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    2 separate partitions (1st active as FAT32), second one as NTFS works also as FAT32 can be used for GameCube and NTFS used for Wii games.

4. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I can second USB Loader GX, and I usually use Nintendont as well. Nintendont is used in conjunction with USBLGX to play GC games, by the way, and is fully integrated into GX.

5. abdezca

abdezca GBAtemp Regular

May 11, 2014
    Mexico
    Between the south of Texas and north of Tamaulipas
    Double partition. One fat 32 with 32kb cluster i believe and another with ntfs. USB loadergx is really good. Im mean is getting to a point where you dont need anything else. The only thing is that they need a little revamped on their menu for sorting out games, but it is still the best loader out there.

6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Absolutely unnecessary. FAT32 works for everything and multiple partitions just causes issues. Wii games that are more than 4GB can be split and run as if they were one file.

7. abdezca

abdezca GBAtemp Regular

May 11, 2014
    Mexico
    Between the south of Texas and north of Tamaulipas
    Indeed you are technically correct, but what if he wants to put other files on that hdd and if they are larger like movies? It would be difficult to put anything. if you do double partition your hdd can be used for several things. Its more versatile, not only for wii homebrew purposes. Basically its up to the user needs. My two cents.

8. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Playing movies seems like it would be better suited for something like a $30 Roku. :P