Hardware Best way to tell if a new 3ds xl is old firmware or new

Xellos2099

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I drop by target today and look at the 3ds since they are on sale for 175. I took a close look at the red and the black 3ds xl. The red one on the box it say copyright 2012 and the black one say copyright 2013. Is that a reasonable deduction that a unit that have a 2012 box is firmware 4.5 or below.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Doesnt really matter, the first thing it will prompt you to do is update, stick a gamecard in, Update to Play. If your getting one for Gateway, I would buy a like-new used one off Amazon or Ebay.

It will only prompt you to update if you set up an internet connection. And from what I assume, the Gateway overrides the whole "update to play" thing with their roms.

Josh Lees

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
3DS' with 2012 on them have 4.5 or lower. Has been said on multiple threads and I can confirm I bought a console with 2012 on it yesterday and it runs on 4.4

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I brought a brand new red 3ds xl with copyright 2012 on it and it came with 4.2 firmware. My guess is that possiblely boxes with coyright 2012 on them will have 4.5 or below firmware where as copyright 2013 may be higher fimware. Ask to look at the box before purchasing to see if its 2012 or 2013. Also just don't set up internet connection to avoid updating and turn off wifi. Newer ROMS will require to update its the same with any console just avoid updating unless been told its safe to do so.

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
Don't look at copyright as since this was posted in 2013, it was prooven than copyright means nothing. For 4.5 or below you need to look at the serial number. (Need to start with sw12 or below in USA if I remember correctly)

Reactions: 4gionz

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Don't look at copyright as since this was posted in 2013, it was prooven than copyright means nothing. For 4.5 or below you need to look at the serial number. (Need to start with sw12 or below in USA if I remember correctly)

You are correct, but I would guess OP probably isn't reading this old thread anymore or has already bought a 3DS somewhere. :D

Here is the GBAtemp wiki page that shows the serial numbers for different regions:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_ha...the_System_version_before_buying_a_new_3DS.3F

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free