Hacking Best way to store Wii backups

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do most people use to store their Wii backups when not in use?

All this time I have put them in a large 300 disc album, like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4755757

Lately I have started to get reading errors on the discs.. I attributed it to my 3 kids who have never grasped the concept of keeping the DVDs clean and scratch free ("Look, I can ski on these!")..

But I started looking closer and noticed the same triangle smudge on each of them.. It is the top triangle flap on each pocket and it leaves a bad smudge that I can't easily get off..

Because of this, I'm thinking about going to individual DVD cases and printing out color sleeves for each case. Although it will take up much more room, I think there will be less scratches and smudges..

At least until the play-the-iso-off-a-usb-hard-drive homebrew works.. Then I'll just put them all on a hard drive, which will be much easier..

-Matthew

teonintyfive

Trophies
Website
ispeelgood.trap17.com
XP
Country
Greece
I use the awesome TDK case that came with my DVD-R 10 pack. Taking pics now.

edit:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/Some...ne/gamecase.jpg
The orange color is a lot better IRL but the Webcam kills the colors.

Direct link because I realised the image is huge

edit2:
Oh whoops, forgot to take a pic of it open.
can't be arsed now.

andreq

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I usualy pile mine in a neat and balanced pile of 10 or more over my Wii/Xbox360

But back when I got my Wii, I was printing nice label with photo paper.

trancegemini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also keep almost all in the dvd spools they come in. This is due to the fact that i have so many dvds that even the spools take up quite alot of room. If its a game that i am going to play and not collect i will put them in cases ( easy to play then ). I don't need to worry to much about the ones in cases as i always store the games in the format ( ie rar ) they come in on another dvd. if you collect them i would recommend to do this. However if all you want is the games you will play then i would put them in cases as most of that games for any system that come out will not be of interest to you and you will not need much space. I am not saying its best to keep the dvds in spools as i dont think it is but i just dont have a whole room to devote to dvd/cds. Cases are by far the best way to keep dvd/cds

that1dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
that1dude said:
I keep them in the dvd spools they come in.

must be very difficult trying to find a game you want, you have to flick through the whole pile to find what you want.
Nah. 10 seconds flipping through some dvds isn't a bother to me.

Especially when my biggest collection is ~20 dvds for the ps2.
tongue.gif

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no purpose on saving backups on individual DVD. The brick and mortar store "Frys" here in California regular sells RETAIL BOXED 1TB drives for 150-160$ . Do the math your self but by using scrubbed ISOs you could save every WII game made to this point with room to spare.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ciper said:
There is no purpose on saving backups on individual DVD. The brick and mortar store "Frys" here in California regular sells RETAIL BOXED 1TB drives for 150-160$ . Do the math your self but by using scrubbed ISOs you could save every WII game made to this point with room to spare.

I think you're misunderstanding the question. By using the term 'backups' it doesn't mean that he has the original for every Wii game he has. Your method would require burning a game (on DVD+/-RW?) everytime he wants to play it? Doing the math myself (Verbatim DVD-R @ .25/piece) I can have 600 non-scrubbed 'backups' for $150 ready to go.

I store mine nicely labeled with a Sharpie in a case like this:
http://www.meritline.com/800pcs-aluminum-c...-white-128.html

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lazycus said:
I think you're misunderstanding the question. By using the term 'backups' it doesn't mean that he has the original for every Wii game he has. Your method would require burning a game (on DVD+/-RW?) everytime he wants to play it? Doing the math myself (Verbatim DVD-R @ .25/piece) I can have 600 non-scrubbed 'backups' for $150 ready to go.

I may be assuming too much but I would imagine that you and him both play less than 10 games regularly in a month. At 25 cents a piece the DVD's are disposable. Why burn a copy of every single one just for it to sit dormant?

Another point is laser rot. Although not the same phenomenon as laserdisc old recordable media does break down with time. Usually the reflective coating starts to delaminate, especially if you use the wrong type of marker like a sharpie. Ever wonder why they sell special pens for writing on CD/DVD?

In the end it sounds to me like a pissing contest - "Look I have a dvd of every game ever released"

trancegemini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I collect games because i enjoy it that is the only reason. If having a complete collection make me happy that is what i do. I understand that to some people this may sound crazy and be a big waste of there time it just happens that it is not a waste of time to me. I do agree that the lifespan of dvds is a issue but there is nothing that we can do about that as dvds are the only cost effective way/ efficient to store this content. A hard drive will fail long before a dvd. if a hd works for you then by all means use it.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ciper said:
Lazycus said:

I may be assuming too much but I would imagine that you and him both play less than 10 games regularly in a month. At 25 cents a piece the DVD's are disposable. Why burn a copy of every single one just for it to sit dormant?

Another point is laser rot. Although not the same phenomenon as laserdisc old recordable media does break down with time. Usually the reflective coating starts to delaminate, especially if you use the wrong type of marker like a sharpie. Ever wonder why they sell special pens for writing on CD/DVD?

In the end it sounds to me like a pissing contest - "Look I have a dvd of every game ever released"

Read the original post again. He's asking for the best way to store his backup DVDs until a 'play off a harddrive solution' becomes available. For me this is the best way. If your method of having a dedicated harddrive works for you then great - but it doesn't answer the original post.

A sharpie (if it's labeled for CD/DVD use or just good old permanent) isn't going to cause delamination. I'm writing on the plastic/lacquer surface and certainly not hard enough to scratch through it. The ink isn't going to eat through the surface either unless you sit there and try and coat the entire surface repeatedly. I would assume they sell special pens for writing on a CD/DVD because they can charge a premium price for them.

Of course the DVD media will break down over time but so will a hard drive. DVDs should last 30+ years unless you expose them to crazy conditions and don't store them well.

By quoting you originally I was just attempting to state that there is a "purpose on saving backups on individual DVD". I'm not sure why you perceived it as a "pissing contest" but why do you care how many backups I have and what media they are stored on?

ciper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lazycus said:
Read the original post again. He's asking for the best way to store his backup DVDs until a 'play off a harddrive solution' becomes available. For me this is the best way. If your method of having a dedicated harddrive works for you then great - but it doesn't answer the original post.

A sharpie (if it's labeled for CD/DVD use or just good old permanent) isn't going to cause delamination. I'm writing on the plastic/lacquer surface and certainly not hard enough to scratch through it. The ink isn't going to eat through the surface either unless you sit there and try and coat the entire surface repeatedly. I would assume they sell special pens for writing on a CD/DVD because they can charge a premium price for them.

Of course the DVD media will break down over time but so will a hard drive. DVDs should last 30+ years unless you expose them to crazy conditions and don't store them well.

By quoting you originally I was just attempting to state that there is a "purpose on saving backups on individual DVD". I'm not sure why you perceived it as a "pissing contest" but why do you care how many backups I have and what media they are stored on?
I read the original post and I see his question. My response is that DVD's are disposable and instead of trying to find a better storage solution for the media he should just retain digital copies of the games and write a new DVD as they become damaged.

I may have a few CDR (if they aren't already in the trash) where a sharpie did damage the reflective coating. The top surface of the disc is NOT plastic. It's the reflective coating. This is why scratches to the "label" are far worse than to the lower side of the disc.

Factory pressed DVDs may last for 30 years but I know for a fact that writable units do not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: oh cool, I saw Space Invaders on that Nintendo Syl :D