Hacking Best way to setup CFW and emuMMC on a clean iPatched switch ver 4.1.0

Lalapaloozer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother recently bought his own switch and he didn't realize its a patched unit BUT luckily its on ver 4.1.0. I setup Atmosphere on my own Switch about 2 months ago so I'm not a complete noob to this but reading about how easily brickable the iPatched Switches can be, I'm kind of scared to go through this without proper guidance. I see that some of the sites have guides (switch.homebrew.guide, NH Switch guide) for setting up emuMMC but only on the unpatched versions.

So my question is, does anyone have a method/guide to setup Caffeine/CFW + emuMMC and updating it with ChoiDujourNX to the latest while also keeping his sysMMC clean and 4.1.0? Not sure if I should setup CFW first or emuMMC, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: NoNAND and p1w1x

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Setting up emuMMC on an ipatched unit can be trick and tiring indeed.
Because for one, you'll have to boot Caffeine through the sysNAND thus leaving traces of CFW
I'd suggest you to set up emuMMC but don't turn autoRCM on in any given circumstance.
To make things simple change themes so that your emuMMC and sysNAND won't have the same one, thus making it easier to distinguish between them.

Lalapaloozer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally had some time this morning and got around to it and it works perfectly. Thank you to the two people who did reply :]

For anyone else who has the questions or trying to get similar up and running, you can follow these steps. Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you don't properly read these and skip steps and ultimately brick your Switch. Please read everything 4 times before attempting and please ask if you are ever stuck on any step before attempting anything else. Its always better to be safe than sorry.
  1. Get a large SD card, I suggest 64gb+, to make your life easy.
  2. Download Minitool Partition Wizard
  3. Follow this part of this guide https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/partitioning_sd/
  4. Read and then follow this guide https://switch.homebrew.guide/hacking/caffeine/forewarning
  5. Once you get up to the step "After Setup (Caffeine)", launch back into Hekate and then follow this https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/making_emummc/, just the very top part where it says "Making the emuMMC".
  6. Launch CFW but emuMMC version and set your theme to your preferred color (black or white) and confirm that you are in CFW in the settings under "system", it should say Atm with ver# and "|E" next to it I believe, for emuMMC. Turn off your Switch completely and power back into your sysMMC and set your theme to the opposite, as user NoNAND suggested, so you can easily tell when you're in CFW or not.
  7. Lastly, download ChoidujourNX and the most recent firmware you would like to use. Set it up as explained here https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualupgrade and make sure you launch your CFW emuMMC before going into ChoudujourNX. Finish following the guide and you should be on the most up to date version on your emuMMC while maintaining 4.x.x on your sysMMC, congrats!

crazydudearam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the guide!

So my understanding was that to be as safe as possible, we should do 3 things:
  • Minimize CFW footprint on sysNand
  • Set up an emuNand (dirty) for homebrew
  • Set up another emuNand (clean) for online play
A few questions:
  1. How do we minimize the sysNand CFW footprint? (I'm guessing the best we can do is install minimal tools on the sysNand during the creation of emuNands and only run the emuNands)
  2. Is there any way to backup a clean Nand on an IPATCHED switch? (I'm under the impression that there isn't, unless when running the initial hack/backup tool, nothing is installed on the system yet?)
  3. How do we set up a 'clean' emuNand if we can't backup a clean Nand?
  4. Does setting the Ninty Blocking DNS apply per Nand? Or does setting it in one affect the others? (I'm guessing the former)
  5. Can we set up multiple clean/dirty emuNands? (I'm guessing this is just limited by the space available on the SD card?)
  6. How does the release of 9.0 (and the removal of cartridge loading with it) affect any of this? Do these processes never touch 9.0? There's no reason to have it installed anywhere yet, right? Also, does this mean we should have the blocking DNS set on all Nands?
  7. If/when we need to update an emuNand, I know that it's the bootloader burning fuses, but how do we ensure that the right bootloader will run (Hekate vs Real) during an update? (I'm not sure if I made any sense with this last one)
Thanks again for your info! Sorry for all the questions. Switch noob here trying to get clarity :)

Last edited by crazydudearam,

FrozenFrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
found a video here:
the unit used in this video seemed to be an unpatched one, tho (serial XAW1004***)

if I format the sd card in FAT32, how do I copy large files into it?

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think you can use Goldleaf for that. Also not sure how far youve come along by now but id follow this guide for setting up one or multiple emunands: https://pubdev.switch.homebrew.guide/hacking/emummc

You basically flash the backup of your sysnand to a partition or multiple partitions on your sd card. I didnt really like that video tutorial you posted, i felt that he didnt explain some crucial things about the ipatched switch (like the update super nag).

Last edited by onibaku,
Reactions: klear

IPLbug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im setting up a ipatched switch and i havent found the answer to a problem how do you use a exfat card even on emunand as using a exfat formated card normal boot nags to update and wont let you used the card

RobinMeade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
im setting up a ipatched switch and i havent found the answer to a problem how do you use a exfat card even on emunand as using a exfat formated card normal boot nags to update and wont let you used the card
I used brand new unformatted (other than how card was formatted out of the box = exfat) 128GB Samsung SDXC and even though it gives me the nag about downloading update to format it seem to read it, just fine?? I think. However I'm having different issue completing the guide. I'm going to copy/paste here since maybe I'll get some answers here?

COPY/PASTE from another thread:
@RobinMeade follow this guide here it has everything you will need to know in getting started, you will be using caffeine. Hopefully you haven’t connected to the internet for sometime or you could have what is called supernag and it blocks everything. I personally have no experience with patched units but this will help you through the process.

If you can exploit your switch than I strongly suggest setting up emummc. It a must in your situation to play newer games legit or otherwise.

Good luck

Ok, so I am not sure what this means. I'm doing the DNS settings step and 3 time it told me it connected to the internet, however ONCE it told me that the network requires registration. I press NEXT and... nothing happened. I pressed connect again and this time and claimed to have connected to the internet (the 3 little icons) however when I run test it always claims it failed the test. I'm not sure if it indeed is connecting to the internet or is not, but it's connecting through the DNS specified. I'd rather not get the supernag.

EDIT: Is the PegaScape page supposed to load on it's own, just kick in, or am I supposed to turn on the browser? The guide makes it look like the page just launches on it's own?
EDIT2: You can see I was able to again get the registration screen, and when I selected NEXT, it immediately performs connection 2nd time and it just passes. Is it overwriting the DNS settings the second time? I know I set fake DNS on my PS4 and I never had that issue that it was redirected wrong. It always gets to the hack screen.
EDIT3: It went as far as:

Tap the Album icon. This should load hbmenu.

And it froze there! Is it possible that it's connecting to wrong DNS in the background on it's own in the mean time?
EDIT4: Nope, it gets stuck on the Album issue. I see ok, I can even press home button (takes me back to Pega Scape screen) and it freezes. Any ideas anyone?
EDIT5: WTF?? I pulled the SD card out and...... I can still perform the hack (it still goes only as far as the white screen after I press Album)

Also wanted to add that PegaScape reports detecting ver 4.0.0 while I have 4.1.0 I don't know where the discrepancy comes from.

Attachments

• IMG_3570.jpg
    IMG_3570.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3571.jpg
    IMG_3571.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 198

IPLbug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had this issue the problem was i had no homebrew nro in root folder. the caffein exploit will freeze for a couple of seconds just wait and then follow instruction after hitting blank space thats to count 3 sec to 5 to be safe and hit power button. if your running emunand cfw the boot take quite some time it will look like it frozen on black screen but it not give it 5 minutes to 10 and it will boot up fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1