Best way to run a windows game/app on Mac?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by TheStump, May 6, 2008.

May 6, 2008
  1. TheStump
    OP

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    I'm buying a MacBookPro soon and am interested in the capabilities of it playing windows base software and games.
    I am using the laptop for mostly graphic and video work and would like to keep the whole thing fairly clean.
    Im just interested in what the simplest, cleanest and most effective method is of performing such a task.

I've read a little about;
    -CrossOver
    -VMware
    -Parallels

and just wanted to know if anyone has had good or bad experience with any of these, and if their is a general recommendation.

also i'd mostly like to be able to run my steam games on it, such as;
    -TF2
    -CS:S
    etc.

thanks.

2. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Bootcamp is your only option.

3. TheStump
    OP

Australia
    ^ i find that hard to believe.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I assume this is an intel mac.
    There are three main methods, I will leave out discussion of licenses/costs/whatever as it does not seem too applicable:

API reworking software: this is wine in its many incarnations. MS are rather bad at documenting the APIs though and people are rather bad at using them so stuff may not work well (or at all).
    Crossover is based on wine and Cider is the other one you will hear most of.

Bootcamp: boots windows (or whatever). Everything works as if it was a windows machine. Macs may or may not have as nice hardware as a normal box but it works. Downside is you have to boot windows.

VMware: aka virtualisation. Various levels of emulation available but a bit slow owing to the fact you are running an OS within an OS. Tests tend to indicate about a 40% drop in performance on a bad day with worse to come. Assuming nothing too fancy it will equally work "flawlessly".
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Guide-Macs-G...view-30289.html

Just one thing: I hear on occasion that macs are better than whatever for video and images, I have yet to see any proof however. Care to offer something up so I can read it?

5. Strokemouth

Member Strokemouth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nope, if you want to play games, bootcamp is pretty much it until the other options get 3D acceleration working properly. VMWare Fusion currently has DirectX 8.1 acceleration working and DX9 without pixel shaders. The 2.0 version is supposedly going to have full DX9 support when it is released though.

Both Crossover and Parallels tout 3d support, but it is very limited. Both products list compatible games on their respective sites and neither have a very thorough selection. I believe Crossover only supports less than 20 games and Parallels is slightly higher.

EDIT: My recommendation would be to use a combination of Bootcamp and VMWare. When you want to run a game, just reboot into Windows. Boot time on my MacBook Pro is under 30 seconds. If there is a different program you want to use that doesn't require full 3D support, open VMWare and let it boot your Bootcamp partition. Parallels supports using a Bootcamp partition as well, but when I tried it, it royally fucked up XP's activation on an install that was slipstreamed with a VLK and didn't require activation, so I had to remove my Bootcamp partition and start fresh.

6. Strokemouth

United States
    That's pretty much not the case anymore. In the past, Macs were preferred for video and imaging as it had a better catalog of software for professional work. Also, for graphics, Macs were known to have displays that were more accurate as far as color reproduction and font rendering. Nowadays, neither of which are especially true anymore. But many people will still associate graphics, video editing, sound editing, and even layout production with Macs. Not necessarily because they are better at, but because that's how things were always done.

I don't have any hard numbers or anything to back that up...just my feeling. When I was in college, I spoke with the head of my university's computer art department about their computer lab (which was running a bunch of outdated B&W G3s running OS9) and asked him why they hadn't upgraded. His answer was because these were the types of machines that were still most common in the "real world." I'm sure things have changed since back then, but if these graphic/video industries are so entrenched in Macs, they'll stay that way instead of switching to a different platform that has the very good chance of introducing a metric shit-ton of new problems into the workplace.

Or I could be way off base on that....who knows. [​IMG]

7. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Only one thing I can possibly think of: Final Cut Pro. Even though there is Premiere CS3, a lot of movie makers use FCP. However only Mac Pro level machines will work for hollywood cinema.

The reason you hear it so much is because of the software(iMovie) it comes with preinstalled, and all the happy average folk post their experience, creating this image.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    yea
    you can do the the exact stuff on the PC also
    I dont know why people say that

they have the iLife Suite
    and we have the Adobe Suite

the Adobe Suite is a lot harder to learn how to use but have a lot more features and can do a lot more stuff just like photoshop if you know how to use it
    I dont know either just saying, only thing I know is DreamWeaver from Adobe...

9. Strokemouth

United States
    The Adobe suite is available on Macs too. iLife is not intended for professional use. For example, iWeb is not nearly as feature-rich as Dreamweaver and isn't marketed as such. Compare iMovie to Windows Movie Maker, iPhoto to Adobe Photo Album, Garage Band to Fruity Loops, etc.

A better comparison would be Final Cut to Premiere, Aperture to Lightroom, Motion to After Effects if you want to look at it from the professional angle.

Then there are the in-between versions, such as Premiere Elements vs. Final Cut Express.

Basically, it comes down to being able to do pretty much anything (except games) on both platforms. Both platforms have their own stigmas, most of which are unfounded or exaggerated.

10. TheStump
    OP

Australia
    Here the reason why i'm getting one, to extinguish flames and fanboyism.
    The Mac is for work related stuff, things like final cut and motion. These don't work on any other system. Though the CS3 also has a mac version. So in theory i can use all this software for my work (on one device), as apposed to restricting myself to only adobe software.
    Plus people i work for all use mac's anyways, so the compatibility won't be a problem when i need to work on a final cut pro file or motion one.

Make sense?

the reason i wanted to know about this for gaming was i will be traveling around OZ soon and wanted to know if i could get some forms of gaming on the mac. Which according to some sources says yes. Seems the software Crossover works, but only with a limited amount of software, though steam is one of them.
    So i guess ill go with Crossover, which was my first instinct, but i wanted some insight from others first.
    Many thanks to FAST.

11. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Bootcamp will give you the best chances of running a game and the best performance since the cpu and memory isn't tied up with having to run WINE/Crossover, VMware-alikes in the background.

12. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

What fanboyism?? The only person here who seems to be touting that one OS is better then another is you [​IMG]

Anyways, unless you fess up and buy a 50 dollar copy of xp, your gaming experience will not be a pleasant one. It isn't hard to nlite down a copy of xp to a very small footprint by only leaving it with the basic functionality needed for games (well under 1GB installed). I have been down your road several times, trying to get games to work with linux, and, in my experience, it just isn't worth it.

13. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I doubt many people on this forum have bought copies of XP.

14. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    You can buy XP????

15. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Buy? B-U-Y?

What is this word? I've never heard of it :3.

Is it a new method of piracy?

16. SeanoRLY?

Member SeanoRLY? GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    What is this Mac you speak of?

Also, lol @ buying stuff thesedays. Especially OS's.

17. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    When it takes less time to download and crack XP than it takes to Slipstream updates and shit into the Legit XP pro I have from when XP first came out, what do you think I chose to do?

18. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    my laptop is only 1.6ghz with intel x3100 videocard, and while using bootcamp i can play c&c3 without a problem.

on parallels or some other emulation software the game wouldnt even start.
    i heard from my friend with a macbook pro that it works fine when you only use emulation software for browsing/office work, but not for heavy 3d games like you name.

19. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The best VM software for Mac only supports DX8. If you want to play recent games bootcamp is the only way as that's really a native Windows install, which means it will actually utilize DX9 (or DX10 for Vista).

20. Strokemouth

United States
    Like I said, VMWare Fusion has full DX8.1 support as well as support for DX9 without pixel shaders. The beta for 2.0 includes experimental support for DX9 with pixel shaders (see the dxdiag output below from the current beta on my Macbook Pro). I don't really have anything to test some real 3D games, but Peggle runs like a champ. [​IMG]

[​IMG]