best way to protect wii from brick ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kazekun, Mar 15, 2011.

Mar 15, 2011
  1. kazekun
    OP

Member kazekun GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Well, i installed homebrews recently, and i want to be sure my wii is as protected as it can be, atm, i have the following, i have an wasabi dx with update block on, i have priiloader with both dvd / internet update blocks on, and i have wiiconnect 24 off, am i in any risk ? and there is some protection missing ?

2. alexh

Newcomer alexh Member

United Kingdom
    Install bootmii as boot2 and make an NAND backup. This way you're (100%?) protected from bricking.

To reduce the possibility of bricking further you can install SNEEK or UNEEK and emulate your NAND so all future installs of WADS do not write to the physical NAND flash.

3. kazekun
    OP

Portugal

Alright, doing my "homework" now to learn how to do that.

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    *advocate of the devil-modus*
    The safest way to make sure your wii doesn't brick is not to hack it in any way. And not use discs that may contain firmware upgrades (if you lose power during the upgrade, it'll be bricked). And not turn on the wii (if lightning hits while the wii is on...you guessed it: brick). [​IMG]

But for realistic purposes, I have to agree with alexh. Sneek/uneek isn't the simplest program to set up, but it has the least bricking potential whatsoever (at worst, you just remove the files from your USB/SD and start over).

Bootmii as boot2 (and have a full nand backed up in advance) is a good second, but not all wii's can have bootmii installed that way (the newer can't).

Bootmii as IOS + priiloader (+nand backed up) is still reasonable. Not the most reliant solution possible, but it's better than nothing.

There is also this program from giantpune (it sounds like "Obi-wan meets governator") that's worth checking out...but I'm too unfamiliar with it to say anything about brick protection.

Still...the safest way is to have a backup plan, but know what you're doing to the wii. Find out what kind of bricks are possible and then avoid those situations. More often than not, the main reason for a brick is "user error". This link may give some information on what is dangerous and what is safe to do (I think Mauifrog has a thread on this forum with a list of all sorts of bricks as well...don't have the link for it, though).

5. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Is your Wii at risk from flying bricks? Woah, thats mental

6. mike333

Member mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Use thin foil to wrap around Your Wii. Do it four times clockwise. It should be safe.

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Warning: joke at the expense of Japan coming up. Only open if you have no relatives from the region.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Ouch, not really cool

9. Garro

Member Garro Pendulum of souls!

Chile
    Well as long as you know what you're doing, theres no reason to worry about brick. I only have BootMiimon Boot2 and everytime I do something I backup, but I haven't had the need to load a backup.

10. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Ive got 3 UNEEK NANDS and I use switch2uneek so I can switch between any of the 3 emulated and my real nand. Takes a bit to set up, but well worth it!!

11. kazekun
    OP

Portugal
    i decided to go with boot2, seing tutorials now, i dont really plan to do big deal with my wii to be honest, but you never know for future. I will have faith in priiloader and my wasabidx abilities to block any incoming updates [​IMG] .

Oh yea, almost forgot, after you alredy have it installed on boot1 like i do, is it still possible to change to boot2 ? and is it possible on 4.3E version?

12. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Huh? [​IMG]

It's impossible to install anything to boot1. Only to boot2. What exactly are you trying to say? You already have what installed?

13. ground

Member ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I think you are confused, because you can't install anything on boot1 it can be written once (even nintendo can't update it).
    If you are sure you have bootmii as boot2, you don't need to reinstall bootmii, just take an good nand backup. To check if you installed bootmii as boot 2 or os, just turn on you're wii and check the dvd drive of the wii. If it flashes once, you have bootmii as IOS. If the drive flashes multiple times, you have it as boot2.

14. kazekun
    OP

Portugal
    i am positive i have installed bootmii, but when i did, i dont think i did on boot2 i followed step by step a guide on youtube by DutsonEntertainment so i suppose i have it on ios, is it still possible to change ?

15. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Yup. It's possible to install Bootmii to both boot2 and IOS at the same time. In fact, it's recommended. You should be fine installing it to boot2 (assuming you have an older Wii that is capable of supporting Bootmii on boot2).

16. kazekun
    OP

Portugal
    Nehhh i cheked i dont think my wii suports boot2, i am saying this because, well, when i tryed to make a nand backup i couldnt because everytime i opened Bootmii i ended up in a blackscreen, so, i couldnt even make a nand backup on Ios boot, so what i did was, i remade the whole process, i reinstalled Homebrew Channel again, i reinstalled Bootmii, and this time i readed things with more atention and it clearly said there "your wii boot1 option doesnt allow to install bootmii on boot2" or something on this lines, well, on the good side i fixed my bootmii, and made a nand backup wich is now safely saved on my pc, thx for help peeps.