Hacking Best way to prevent updates?

Gassy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the best way to prevent accidental updates? I think I read that there is an option on Preloader. Is this the best route?

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Pre-loader works. Or just update to 4.1 and you wont have to worry seeing as it is the latest System Menu.

Im on 4.1 and have Pre-loader to prevent checking for updates. It would not really matter though because all the updates on wii disks will be older than the System menu im running.

smile.gif

good luck

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well.. the best way is common sense, but after that I'd recommend preloader indeed.

Also if you're able to install Bootmii as boot2, make a NAND backup.

Jeomite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WalkerOfTheDay said:
Well.. the best way is common sense, but after that I'd recommend preloader indeed.

Even if you can't install Bootmii as boot2, but surely as an IOS, you can use your NAND backup as long as you have Preloader, correct?

I'm thinking this method (if boot2 doesn't work) to restore NAND:

Launch PreLoader > Go To HBC > Run BootMii (via IOS option in HBC) > Restore NAND

So... BootMii + Preloader = Still brick-proof with NAND??

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jeomite said:
WalkerOfTheDay said:

Even if you can't install Bootmii as boot2, but surely as an IOS, you can use your NAND backup as long as you have Preloader, correct?

I'm thinking this method (if boot2 doesn't work) to restore NAND:

Launch PreLoader > Go To HBC > Run BootMii (via IOS option in HBC) > Restore NAND

So... BootMii + Preloader = Still brick-proof with NAND??

No, unfortunately not. I thought so too. But the Bootmii forums state somewhere that you will get a message like: BootMii installed as IOS, too dangerous to continue, or something like that.

Jeomite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WalkerOfTheDay said:
No, unfortunately not. I thought so too. But the Bootmii forums state somewhere that you will get a message like: BootMii installed as IOS, too dangerous to continue, or something like that.
Well, that sucks
unsure.gif
Preloader is still somewhat of the brick-proof since you can use to launch HBC and install WADs (more specifically Systemmenu WAD, if you corrupt them)...

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Jeomite said:
Satangel said:
Best way is to just remove the update partition on your PC. That's how I always do it.

But you can still brick your Wii from installing "unoffficial" or custom WADs... if you don't have common sense
smileipb2.png

That's not the question. The question is to prevent updates, not to brick your Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Spot the difference, Deal or no deal, can't remember the others lol