1. Ian095

OP Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I know this is a PS4 section but a PS5 one doesn't exist. Anyways, I want to know how you guys prepare a console for potential exploits and homebrew for later playing backups. Now I know the jist of things, nobody knows when an exploit will be found, it could be day one it could be years later. Could be after the console completes it's life cycle. With that being said there must be methods and plans people use to jump on board as soon as such things become possible though?

So what do you guys do to get prepared for Homebrew? Do you buy a day one console and hide it away to collect dust until the time comes? Do you buy a preowned console with the right firmware version? I'd just love some advice to prepare myself for a future potentially running unsigned code. I never use consoles online, so I don't see much use in it but then game discs force you to update to use them don't they, so not as if you can just use a offline console until it becomes possible without being made to update to more recent firmware, right?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Depend on the console price tag, most people won't buy one and have it sit around collect dust.

Stealphie and StrayGuitarist like this.
  3. Ian095

OP Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah exactly, if the price is high and it took years and no exploit was found I'd be at a huge loss otherwise it pays off as the console no doubt would devalue a bit. People get the right console somehow though and I'd like to think there's more opportunities than just storing a day one console away even if it's a reseller with a few hundred thrown on top of the price.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  4. schatzi24

schatzi24 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Yeah PS5 is out,hope for future 6.72 exploit for my Death Stranding PS4.

Attached Files:

5. KiiWii

KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    The best way is buy one for play, and one for spare to wait it out for hax.

It’s an expensive hobby, but guarantees memes.

6. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well Nintendo's systems get hacked so fast you blink and they're already hacked, so when I bought a Switch it was already hacked. I bought a PS4 never hacked it, Xbox One obviously not hacked it. So you can't really make any plans for the future when you don't know the future. You can certainly decide "I won't buy console x until it's hacked" but you will have no idea when that is, if ever. Xbox One has emulators in dev mode but it's never been fully hacked. If the console has games I want I buy the console and buy the games I want, and if it gets hacked later great. If not oh well.

7. Ian095

OP Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Seems like the most viable solution it can pay off if using "backups" though

8. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Buy a launch day ps5 and never update it. To be on the safe side I wouldn't use games either due to built in disc updates, and I wouldn't go online just in case of auto updates. Best to leave it in the box, maybe buy 2 if you're impatient.

Ian095 and KiiWii like this.
  9. Hambrew

Hambrew not your therapist

United States
    Maybe we can use the included USB-C port, or flash a firmware to one of the accessories, maybe the HD camera?

Last edited by Hambrew, Jun 11, 2020
  10. Ian095

OP Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah, unfortunately. I bought a switch day 1. Didn't care about hacks but you bet as soon as that exploit dropped I ordered one of those "jigs" and have used homebrew and auto-recovery mode to load into modified firmware ever since. Its been really useful and I've tried tons of games I never would've bothered with otherwise.

Playstation and Microsoft don't have as big a homebrew community though and are far better at patching things from what it seems. I'd just be gambling if I bought a console and hid it away. Unless I manage to buy a used one that's been sitting around for years offline I'd not have much luck

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

My exact thought, might not even pay off in the end

11. Jayinem81

United States
    Not true, well maybe Microsoft today is true because Microsoft has decided to port all their games to PC so the interest has less than from the days of 360 and the original Xbox. Playstation has a huge homebrew community. That's not the reason they're not fully hacked. It's because they're 1000x times harder to hack than Nintendo's consoles security wise. Every Playstation console before 4 has been hacked and had a huge homebrew community. 4 is hacked before 5.05 firmware but not todays firmware but because there's no interest.

Ian095 likes this.
  12. Ian095

OP Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah I get you. I hacked my PSP years back that was a ton of fun. Chances of me managing to keep a low firmware PS5 for loading backups potentially in the future and actually having it pay off is slim. One can dream though, I'll probably just go on a manhunt for some abandoned PS5 on low firmware if any form of exploit worthy is found.

13. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    If there's a web browser it's gonna get hacked, surely they won't make that mistake again.. or Nintendo's mistake of "hiding" it

14. Jayinem81

United States
    PS4 and Xbox One have a web browser so that doesn't guarantee anything.

15. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

United States
    All depends on how much hacking and homebrew are worth to you. I got my Switch, got the games I wanted, and then stayed offline and waited for hacks. For me I'd much rather have hacks or even a possibility of hacks than updating to play online and potentially losing the possibility.

But that tradeoff will be different for everybody. Some people have the cash to buy an extra console, and there's other people that don't see any value in a console if they can't play online with it.

16. Kraken_X

Kraken_X Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Safest thing to do is get two consoles, keep one in a box with day 1 firmware and use the other one completely normally. Best case is you have two hackable consoles and can sell one. Worst case is you sell the unused one at a loss and can enjoy online and recent releases with everyone else on the other.

The worst case overall is having one system and not updating or playing it. Then, a mid-term refresh like the PS4 Pro happens and the original PS4 becomes completely worthless. Still, an exploitable original model may be resellable towards a new Pro model.

Last edited by Kraken_X, Jun 12, 2020
    Stealphie likes this.
  17. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Yeah thats how the ps4 is hacked

18. Jayinem81

United States
    That doesn't make sense, then why isn't it hacked up to current versions? The last hack is from 2 years ago, and why isn't Xbox One hacked? Again, having an internet browser does not guarantee a hack otherwise both would be fully hacked.

19. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Same as the switch using pega, yeah its patched eventually but its still an entry point if your firmware is low enough

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And it could be the only entry point, who knows. If the RCM bug wasn't found the browser wouldve been the only non modchip way to hack your switch

20. MostlyUnharmful

MostlyUnharmful GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Maybe because this kind of attacks that exploit firmware bugs but don't compromise the "chain of trust" could be simply thwarted with a new firmware?

Having a standalone web browser means that possibly half the job — i.e. achieving "arbitrary code execution" — it's probably already done by other groups, so an interested party only need to achieve "privilege escalation".

Why Xbox One isn't hacked? Maybe no one was interested to hack it... ^__~

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - potential, homebrew, prepare