Best way to play WiiWare off USB HDD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tagg7, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Tagg7
    OP

Tagg7 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    What is currently the best way to play WiiWare off of a USB hard drive? I know that SNEEK used to be good, but I'm having trouble finding a tutorial for it.

2. Paah

Paah Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2010
    Finland
    UNEEK (but can't play normal games with it then..)
    PUNEEK (if you can't get sneek installed, no chance for that)
    Triiforce (I recommend this)

You can even make forwarder ISOs, so your little WiiWare appear as games in your favorite backup launcher!
    If you got newest waninkoko cIOS though, you have to downgrade to rev17, or wait for rev20.

3. Tagg7
    OP

Tagg7 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    I'm on cIOS rev20 now. Will that not work then?

4. Paah

Paah Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2010
    Finland
    Umm... That SHOULD work.. But.. Rev20 has not been released yet? How did you get that? Are you sure its rev20?

5. Tagg7
    OP

Tagg7 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    LOL, sorry - I meant rev19.

6. Paah

Paah Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2010
    Finland
    Yeah well you have to get Sneek or downgrade to cIOS rev 17 to use triiforce.
    Go with triiforce.

7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    *cough*

The more recent versions of uloader (from v5 onward, IIRC) can also play wiiware pretty good. You'll need at least v5 of Hermes's cIOSes (222, 223 and 224) and it takes some configuring*, but once it's all set up, it has at least the same wiiware compatibility as triiforce. [​IMG]

*not more than triiforce. In fact, if you're starting from scratch, it takes even less work to get it running

8. dwmyke

dwmyke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2009
    United States
    Uloader works great for me!

9. Envido32

Envido32 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2008
    Argentina
    How do you do that?

10. Gagarin

Gagarin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 11, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Yeah, I want to learn how to do that!
    explain!

11. Paah

Paah Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2010
    Finland
    Use wad2iso http://www.mediafire.com/?odqoo3qdlze

1. Install
    2. Open wad file(s)
    3. Put all settings as you like
    4. Boom you get .iso files

Now load these .iso files like you would normal game backups. Make sure you also extracted the VC/WW to NAND or it will not work, its only forwarder.

12. jqwest

jqwest Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    "Make sure you also extracted the VC/WW to NAND or it will not work, its only forwarder"

If its only a forwarder program...what is the point...I thought the point was to save the precious wii memory and not install to nand...really confused because i have tons of wads and would really like to do this but if i still need to install to wii (whats the point)

13. mcsdoode

mcsdoode Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2007
    The Naniwa
    I'm also interested in figuring out how to run WADs off of USB and have found myself wondering the exact same thing.

14. hersuri

hersuri Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2007
    United States
    I believe you would need SNEEK or something to emulate the NAND then if you want your forwarders to appear as Wii channels without installing them to the Wii's internal memory. Or keep them on an SD card and use fw greater than 4.0

15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    A small correction for clarity. [​IMG]

Oh, and I must confess I have no idea whether the forwarder ISO's work with uloader's emulated nand (I doubt it).

16. Paah

Paah Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2010
    Finland
    Meh if you would have bothered to download the program, it asks where your NAND is located (Real, SD, USB)..

17. mayhem366

mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2008
    UK
    Your best bet is Triiforce, if you use the mod Triiforce MRC then it works and looks like a charm.
    There is a tutorial round here somewhere, couldn't find it straight away to link you but just use the search.

I have this set up and working fine, is an absolutely brilliant tool. Far easier than using Sneek, took me an age and a day to get that set up and working and even now i still have problems with it.