1. GayCoonie

OP GayCoonie Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Title

Picodrive doesn't have GG support, so the only real way to play Game Gear games that I've been able to do is using whatever emulator's built into TWiLight Menu++. I'm hoping to find a native 3DS solution, as I experinece some slowdown that way.

I'm using ann O3DS XL, but I'm planning to move to a (N)2DS XL very soon, and in fact have already ordered it. However, I really don't like retroarch and would much prefer a discrete emulator if there's one available. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by GayCoonie, Jun 21, 2019
  2. TurdPooCharger

United States
    It's hit or miss Lunar IPS patching GG roms to SMS. I tried this on Shinobi II - The Silent Fury (U), but the start button doesn't work in PicoDrive.
    Unless someone ports the retroarch's Genesis Plus GX core ala standalone bubble emulator, you're left with the S8DS emulator through either TWiLight Menu or DS flashcart.

For the retroarch / Genesis Plus GX, the largest & cleanest resolution while maintaining the Game Gear's 10:9 aspect ratio.
    • Tap the bottom half of the touchscreen → MAIN MENUSettings Video
      • Aspect Ratio: Custom
      • Custom Aspect Ratio X Pos.: 70
      • Custom Aspect Ratio Y Pos.: 3
      • Custom Aspect Ratio Width: 260
      • Custom Aspect Ratio Height: 234
      • Integer Scale: OFF
    If you try other settings scaling this to the screen's 240 px height, the width wouldn't be whole number (266.667 px), leading to jaggies.

3. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    matt! likes this.
  4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you want fullscreen, M2 did an excellent job with their scaling algorithm for the VC. It reflects the original aspect ratio of the GG (stretched pixels and all) with exactly doubled horizontal resolution on the 3DS screen, so it appears much sharper than the gameboy VCs. They also do a nice job with the filtering to handle vertical irregularities, better than anything you can manage with retroarch.

5. GayCoonie

OP GayCoonie Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - games,