Best way to play DVD movies on Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Clutz450, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Clutz450
    OP

Clutz450 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2013
    United States
    I know I need an older Wii which I do have. I have done a lot of searching and have come across 2 programs, mplayer ce and WiiMC. But I haven't seen any recent information on either of them and no real guide. I saw a video of mplayer where it showed I needed to use a version of HackMii installer which installs DVDX but I didn't see the same for WiiMC. Does WiiMC work out of the box for DVD playback?

Also which one is the best to use and more like an actual DVD player? Thank you.

2. CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2015
    France
    Playing DVD's on Wii is useless : it has bugs and will damage your drive lens. Play divx and/or convert your DVD to divx.

Clutz450 likes this.
  3. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    You don't really need to install DVDx nowadays, but as the previous poster said, I would highly suggest against using your Wii as a regular DVD player. Technically the laser can read DVD discs just fine and there were licensing restrictions preventing the Wii from playing DVDs in the first place, but the long-term it's gonna wear down your Wii's laser until it stops working properly.

Clutz450 likes this.
  4. knm

knm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2012
    United States
    I think the way to play DVD videos are WiiMC and MCPlayer Wii (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_applications). If you have the Wii with old drive (d3 or less) you can run DVD video directly to the Wii. On WiiMC, if you have Wii with new drive (d3-2 and d4), you need external DVD so you don't have worry about to find and buy Wii with old drive instead. I think WiiMC is the only device that support external DVD.

Last edited by knm, Oct 30, 2015
    Clutz450 likes this.
  5. Clutz450
    OP

Clutz450 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2013
    United States
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Appreciate the input.