Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Happy April Fools' Day

From Team Your Mom!

april-fools-2012-png.303370

Many of you have just been the victims of a harmless ModMii April Fools' prank, codenamed "The Never Ending Update".

april-fools-front-page-news-2012-png.303371
ModMii v7.0.0 and v7.0.1 are a hoax, they do not exist and anything you've read about ModMii in the v7.0.0 and v7.0.1 changelogs are not true. The latest version of ModMii currently is still v6.0.7.

7.0.1 Changelog:
  • Corrected an issue that some users were having when updating to ModMii v7.0.0.
  • Hey Vegeta, what does the internet say about ModMii's download count?
  • Other minor changes and bugfixes.

7.0.0 Changelog:
  • The ModMii user interface was totally rewritten in this update and now not only works on Windows but also on Macs and Linux. Note that when ModMii is being run on a Mac or linux System Menu themes are not supported. Big thanks goes out to DeadlyFoez who played a major role in this update.
  • Chuck Norris doesn't use ModMii, ModMii uses Chuck Norris.
  • Other minor changes and bugfixes.

This joke was very elaborate, and I'll expand on all the juicy and funny details...

I first took ModMii6.0.7.zip, and simply renamed it ModMii7.0.0.zip. So ModMii would try to update to v7.0.0, but in actuality it was installing v6.0.7, and users would be prompted to update to v7.0.0 again and again and again. This was totally harmless as users could still use ModMii v6.0.7 like normal by either declining the update or disabling update checks.

Here's a youtube video one ModMii user sent me via email to report the update "bug".

And here's another video someone else recording to demonstrate the "bug".

Then to keep things fresh, we did the same thing but with v7.0.1 and also uploaded a text file to the google code page with this path "http://modmii.zzl.org/ModMii7.0.1.zip". If you followed this path, it would download a password protected zip file that DeadlyFoez mentions here:
Ok folks. After screwing around all day and finding a few more issues with the installer, we'll just tell the manual install instructions.

1. Download http://modmii.zzl.org/ModMii7.0.1.zip
2. Extract the .zip file using the password of <removed>, without the quotes. You will get update.bin from the zip file.
3. Rename update.bin to ModMii.exe
4. Run the executable.
5. Profit!!

You now have the latest windows version of ModMii and it's able to be run as a portable app. If you really want it installed with shortcuts and all then you'll have to wait until XFlaks fixes the installer.

P.S. Don't forget to donate. All those who donate $1USD or more get the functional easter egg.

In the ModMii IRC Channel, DeadlyFoez had people open update.bin in a hex editor and at that point most people noticed "PNG" in the header... this is because that file is an image, in fact, it's this image!

update-png.303372
If you were then to visit http://modmii.zzl.org/changelog.html, and scroll ALL the way to the bottom you would have seen this spoiler
april-fools-spoiler-2012-png.303373
Once someone figured out it was an April Fools' Joke, we got them to publicly report they got it working and fool others to jump through the same hoops and so on and so on.

After all is said and done, ModMii v7.0.0 and v7.0.1 (really v6.0.7 in disguise) were downloaded over 5,500 times!

Thanks everyone for being such good sports about this harmless April Fools' joke!

PS. JoostinOnline's reaction was the best

Can you guys try renaming it to what the header says and tell me if it works then?
so make it a picture? lol
LOL!
it's you!
idk what to think
lol
Hold on a sec while I take a screenshot
wolf, did you try it yet?
april fools bitches
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL
the only truthful thing about this is that I really am busy studying, lol
You guys are sworn to secrecy
XFlak, I'm going to rip your fucking head off
lol
you assholes
LOL
were you messing with us this whole time?
this was all fake the whole time
no,
joostin. Ok, the real update I just posted it in the thread
ok so will the update work now?
* @[member='JoostinOnline'] doesn't even care anymore
LMFGDWHAO!!!!!!!!!!
you should be proud
nobody has EVER gotten my on April Fool's Day
update dont work lol
every
ever
this is my day bitch!
i should have known something when u said rename to a pic
Yeah, there is absolutely no update
fucker :P
LOL
april fool's joke codename: the never ending update
we've been planning this for well over a week now
ok so then the update that is planned is not ready yet?
now u guys can help us convince others that it's real
it does kind of suck to have my record broken
http://modmii.zzl.org/changelog.html Go all the way to the bottom and open the spoiler
lol
wolf. there is nothing that xflak and I have been working on besides this prank
oh u fuckers lol
sorry man.
yup, all that best buy beta testing was a load of crap
lol
I had to do it
so no running on linux and shit
theres VM ware and shit
not unless using vmware or w/e
XFlak, I haven't dropped an f-bomb in like 3 years
and you got it

I just found a bunch of pics that I thought were lost and updated this old April Fools post so Team Your Mom's epic prank is well documented again! lol

edit: I can't believe this was almost exactly 10 years ago!

Last edited by XFlak,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@everyone , I have good news and bad news and great news, which do you want first?

The Bad News:
The next ModMii update that I thought would be ready this weekend will actually take a lot longer.

The Good News:
The next ModMii update is delayed because A LOT of thought and effort is being put into making it an amazing update! I am not kidding when I say I have been getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night and staying up past 5am regularly for the last 4 nights in a row, and I promise when v6.6.4 is ready, it will be worth the wait!

The Great News:
This post has been updated with a new solution for patching ModMii's NUS downloads. Now all you have to do to fix any ModMii NUS Download issues you might be experiencing, is just have ModMii check for updates (by default this is done when launched).

Even if there are no updates, ModMii's update checks will detect unpatched ModMii installations, and patch them automatically. This will allow you to easily patch older versions of ModMii without being forced to update. That being said, it is always recommended to use the latest version of ModMii!

Here's a pic of it in action!
ModMii.Patcher.png

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Did you know you can drop other things onto ModMii other than syschecks? Here are two snapshots describing what is supported (list view and thumbnail view, but the message is the same)!

draganddrop-list-png.304651
DragAndDrop-Thumnails.png

Attachments

• DragAndDrop-List.png
    DragAndDrop-List.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 234

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@everyone, I could use some help from the community with some top secret things in the works. I need BETA TESTERS (ideally with bootmii boot2 or plenty of brains) and also I would love it if some GRAPHIC ARTISTS were to contact me to help me with some stuff.

Thanks everyone!

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@everyone, I was going to save this for a surprise for the next update, but I'm going to let the cat out of the bag to hopefully get more people motivated to work on some themes.

**Every theme that is submitted (as long as not inappropriate or 99% redundant with an existing theme) will find it's way into ModMii... via an theme selector option\menu!**

That's right you heard me correctly! Every single worthy theme that is submitted will become available to all in ModMii Skin's options, so don't get discouraged, you don't need to beat @AuroraNemoia#2094's Nebula theme to be a winner! She set the bar extremely high, but it's not that kind of competition anymore, so show us what you got!

Who's going to make me a Star Wars \ XFlak theme? Or an Easter theme or an XMAS theme? Sky's the limit, there are no bad ideas!

Good luck and have fun with it!

P.S. I may have forgotten to mention it, but if you include a Success.mp3 or Fail.mp3 or icon.ico in your theme\zip, it will get used by ModMii. All icons need to be some kind of "ModMii" icon, it can be unofficial, but can't change the name of the app.

Oo_Ice_Deep_oO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi XFlax, Thanks for your awesome tool and your support for the community. I have a dumb question, that you have probably already answered somewhere. Why do you use d2x8 instead of d2x10?

Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
First of all, thanks for the kind words!

Now about d2x.... Um, I don't use d2x v8 instead of d2x v10. Modmii currently uses d2x v10 beta 52, but this is effectively almost exactly the same as v8 final. I don't recall exactly what the subtle differences are, I think v10 beta52 may have a tweak to improve compatibility with a rare type of drive or something.

Tldr, modmii uses d2x v10 beta52, which is 99% the same as v8 final

Reactions: ca032769

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

Any Region Changer: ModMii Edition v1.0.6 Released!

168495918-67389d97-3ec8-4cdc-9173-7cfc95448042.png

Any Region Changer: ModMii Edition v1.0.6

ARCME Release v1.0.6​

Thank you for your continued support of ModMii! This is the 1.0.6 release of Any Region Changer: ModMii Edition (or ARCME for short).

Usage​

To use ARCME, copy the apps folder from ARCME.zip file to the root of your homebrew storage device (commonly your SD Card). Once you have done this and reinserted the device into your console ARCME should appear in the Homebrew Channel or anywhere else you load your homebrew.

Changelog​

• Added/Fixed Support for Korean Wii's
  • The current SysMenu Region and Version are now displayed
  • Updated default selection on boot to the "Fix" option
  • Removed the "Reboot to System Menu" option
    • This was an intentional decision to ensure users always return to the HBC to have yet another opportunity to install priiloader or fix region settings in case precautions have not already been taken prior to loading a potentially broken system menu.
    • It is still entirely possible to exit ARCME by using the "Exit to the Homebrew Channel" option.
  • New icon! View it here.
  • Source code has been updated to compile easily and without errors or warnings
https://github.com/modmii/Any-Region-Changer-ModMii-Edition/releases

As a reminder, here are the changes from ARCME v1.0.5 (from the ModMii 6.6.0 changelog)
  • Updated Any Region Changer (ARC) to ARC ModMii Edition (ARCME) by scooby74029; if ARCME detects a region mismatch, you only have to select the "Auto Fix Settings" to correct it. Older versions of ARC required you to set a Region, save, then change the video mode back to it's previous setting, and save again. ARCME's "Auto Fix Settings" takes care of all that (i.e. it does not change the video mode but changes everything else to align with the installed System Menu region). It's a minor improvement over the original but don't forget it also supports Motion+ remotes so ARCME FTW!
Credits to @TheShadowEevee for v1.0.6 and @scooby74029 for v1.0.5. I (XFlak) just provided ideas and requested features\changes and tested them.

ModMii 6.6.3 is using this new version effective immediately, that's all you need to know, continue reading for details:

Long version: During update checks, ModMii 6.6.3 and older will check for temp\ARCME.zip and if it's confirmed to be v1.0.5 it will rename it, forcing ModMii to redownload it the next time it's queued. When v6.6.3 and older redownloads v1.0.5, the download has been modified so that it includes a new meta and boot.elf for 1.0.6 (but boot.dol will still be v1.0.5 so as to trick 6.6.3 into thinking it successfully downloaded v1.0.5); essentially meaning all modmii users will now start using ARCME v1.0.6 effective immediately without requiring a ModMii update. The next modmii update will grab the official arcme.zip with everything updated (new icon and dol in addition to meta and elf). I intentionally didn't change the icon in this hybrid, so users watching old\current arcme videos will see the same icon as in the video

smokeandlights

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I'm having trouble. I applied the patch to the support folder, but I'm still getting this message, repeatedly:

error: cannot read: E:"\WAD\cIOS249[57]-d2x-v10-beta52.wad​
1 errors occurred.​
This file already exists but it failed MD5 verification.​
The current version of the file will be deleted and the file will be re-downloaded.​
The network path was not found.​
Did I miss an important step, or is there a solution to this?

Thanks for a very cool tool, by the way.

Reactions: XFlak

deeznutsgoatham

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi XFlak

I am trying to install the modmii files onto my sd card but when the installation begins the console get stuck on this.
The settings on the installer are
Only wizard
First time
4.1E -> 4.3E
Photo and mii channel
Theme doesn't matter I tried with different ones

Thank you

Attachments

• Capturezz.PNG
    Capturezz.PNG
    49.8 KB · Views: 74

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hi XFlak

I am trying to install the modmii files onto my sd card but when the installation begins the console get stuck on this.
The settings on the installer are
Only wizard
First time
4.1E -> 4.3E
Photo and mii channel
Theme doesn't matter I tried with different ones

Thank you

This is a known bug described in the first post that only impacts modmii skin, not modmii classic.

Until I push an update, you can still use ModMii by either using ModMii Classic instead of ModMii Skin, or if using ModMii Skin do not use the root of a drive as the sd card or usb directory (i.e. X: doesn't work with ModMii Skin, already fixed in the beta though)

Reactions: deeznutsgoatham

tarian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downloaded and installed ModMII v6.6.3 looking to create a CIOS d2x v10 beta53 WAD and for some reason Classic Mode crashes before it opens.

Event viewer gives me this error:
System.OverflowException

Error Log XML:
Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>4</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-06-02T05:36:48.9027643Z" />
  <EventRecordID>211149</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>*Redacted*</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>1331221980155466720</Data>
  <Data>5</Data>
  <Data>CLR20r3</Data>
  <Data>Not available</Data>
  <Data>0</Data>
  <Data>modmii.exe</Data>
  <Data>1.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>6049a392</Data>
  <Data>mscorlib</Data>
  <Data>2.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>62476256</Data>
  <Data>871</Data>
  <Data>1b</Data>
  <Data>System.OverflowException</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER305D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER308D.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER30CB.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3187.tmp.txt</Data>
  <Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_modmii.exe_a6a6a2b67e8b716bdf2dafc91982e0155f4da3d_00000000_af02da78-a555-4e5b-aecb-39cfa433bae3</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data>0</Data>
  <Data>af02da78-a555-4e5b-aecb-39cfa433bae3</Data>
  <Data>268435456</Data>
  <Data>f90e4f2b396da262327973567c5bd3e0</Data>
  <Data>0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

I have .Net framework 3.5 installed/enabled
1654148744486.png

Let me know if you need any more information.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I just downloaded and installed ModMII v6.6.3 looking to create a CIOS d2x v10 beta53 WAD and for some reason Classic Mode crashes before it opens.

Event viewer gives me this error:
System.OverflowException

Error Log XML:
Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>4</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-06-02T05:36:48.9027643Z" />
  <EventRecordID>211149</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>*Redacted*</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>1331221980155466720</Data>
  <Data>5</Data>
  <Data>CLR20r3</Data>
  <Data>Not available</Data>
  <Data>0</Data>
  <Data>modmii.exe</Data>
  <Data>1.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>6049a392</Data>
  <Data>mscorlib</Data>
  <Data>2.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>62476256</Data>
  <Data>871</Data>
  <Data>1b</Data>
  <Data>System.OverflowException</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER305D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER308D.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER30CB.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3187.tmp.txt</Data>
  <Data>\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_modmii.exe_a6a6a2b67e8b716bdf2dafc91982e0155f4da3d_00000000_af02da78-a555-4e5b-aecb-39cfa433bae3</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data>0</Data>
  <Data>af02da78-a555-4e5b-aecb-39cfa433bae3</Data>
  <Data>268435456</Data>
  <Data>f90e4f2b396da262327973567c5bd3e0</Data>
  <Data>0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

I have .Net framework 3.5 installed/enabled
View attachment 312313

Let me know if you need any more information.
Same error if you run modmii.bat directly from the support folder?

Have you ruled out AV interference?

Edit: discussed on discord, determined that modmii.bat runs fine, for some reason his PC isn't playing nicely with the exe launcher. We're investigating

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: ca032769

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
d2x-v10-b52-Stealth-RC24 Released!
"d2x-v10-b52-Stealth-RC24" for Wii
aka "d2x-v10-b52-ST-RC24-vWii" for vWii

Changelog:
  • Same as v10 beta52 except added RiiConnect24 RSA Key and updated FAT module to add Emunand support for drives hidden by UStealth, source and more info here
source: https://github.com/davebaol/d2x-cios/releases/tag/d2x-v10-b52-Stealth-RC24

Install it like usual using ModMii or the wii d2x cIOS installer as per the directions from here

Unofficial release notes:
This has not been heavily tested, but the changes are extremely minimal and I am very confident there is no downside to using this compared to v10 beta 52. That being said there is no need to update from v10 beta52 (or v8-final for that matter) unless you want to:

1) hide your drive using uStealth AND want to restore emunand functionality (i.e. like storing gamesaves on emunand)
2) use RC24 AND have the Priiloader hack enabled to use cios249 for the Systemmenu/disc channel (otherwise it breaks some RiiConnect24 features)
3) STILL NEED TO CONFIRM: use RC24 AND launch RC24 channels via usb-loaders instead of the main system menu (usb-loader updates may also be required in order for RC24 patched channels to connect when launched via a usb-loader)

After people test this, and assuming no-one reports any problems relative to v10 beta 52, I think I will release this as v10-final and we can finally stop referring to v10 beta52 all the time. So in essence this is really a v10 final release candidate.

I wish davebaol were still around, but it seems I'm the last OG standing able to push updates to davebaol's official d2x github so I guess ultimately it's up to me whether or not to brand this as v10-final (I need to be careful not to get drunk with power, lol). If anyone thinks this should not become v10-final (or v11?) please share your rationale and your voice will be heard and considered.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Keep your eyes peeled for a big ModMii update! Probably sometime before the end of summer, but no promises!

Edit: DO NOT USE ON WII MINI!!!

Last edited by XFlak,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1