• No, and I posted what went wrong

Votes: 119 11.8%

• Total voters

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Edit: random side note, I'm not sure if I can claim to be "Wii-tired but still kicking" anymore, as I'm pretty active these days responding to Q's in the forums. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions of what I should change my tag to?
Hello,

don't change anything, stay as you are !!! (an excellent technician in the matter of the Wii.:bow:

Change it to "Wiiactive since 2010!", or "Wiiactive since.. forever!
"" wiiactive since 2010 forever "":P:rofl2:

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
On another note, I wanted to report a known bug in ModMii Skin. I've had maybe 4 people experience this issue and report it to me on discord. This bug only applies to modmii skin, and not modmii classic. Sometimes, if you enter your sd card drive letter in ModMii Skin, downloads will fail. If you use the default COPY_TO_SD or you use ModMii classic, there is no problem. I will investigate this when I have time and hopefully address it in the next update along with the other items in my ever-growing to do list :)
Just FYI, I just solved this issue. Anyone experiencing it let me know and I can share a beta until the next official update is ready.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Edit: random side note, I'm not sure if I can claim to be "Wii-tired but still kicking" anymore, as I'm pretty active these days responding to Q's in the forums. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions of what I should change my tag to?

@XFlak i think you should put your tag to "Wiiconnected with everyone" :)

Or maybe "WiiActive & WiiConnected since... forever!"

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Installed CIOSes patched as per your link and all working perfectly. Wii games saving to emuNAND on hidden HDD all fine. GC via Nintendont also has working saves (well, as working as I ever get them to be). Tested on both original Wii and WiiU vWii.

Thanks so much for your help, @fledge68 , @blackb0x (looks like nothing for you to do, was CIOS), and @XFlak (modded FAT.app probably is a worthy addition to ModMii, as you say).
I have just created a beta version of ModMii that is able to build d2x-v10-beta52-Stealth cIOSs, is anyone able to test if emunand saving works on a ustealth hidden drive? Just PM me for the latest ModMii beta, build the Stealth cios wads and install them, enable emunand game saves on your usbloader, and hide the drive using ustealth, and report back.

Assuming this works, should this be the recommended cIOS instead of plan d2x-v beta 52? Are there any drawbacks to the Stealth version?

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@XFlak does modmii get its neek2o downloads from sourceforge? it is the nswitch channel?

i'm asking because the neek2o channel modmii installed on my sneek emunand does not return me or anyone to real nand. I checked the source code and all it does is look for usb:/sneek/kernel.bin - if not found looks for sd:/sneek/kernel.bin. if not found just exits. if found then tries to launch sneek.

looking back at Abz's (abdallahterro) mastermod and neek2o threads he has a back2nand channel that he has everyone install on their emunand. which i have done and it works. here is his download link - https://www.mediafire.com/?5pvano2mwvtc4lw
where he got it or where the source code for it is i don't know.
I'm looking into this a bit a more, by any chance are you able to test out if switch2uneek emunand channel works for you to return to real nand?

For nswitch it makes sense to replace it on emunand with back2nand, but for switch2uneek both real nand and emunand apps are renaming the bootmii folder on the sd card, so if the back2nand channel is used to return to real nand instead then the folder won't get renamed back and switch2uneek may not work properly when run from real nand the next time to start uneek.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking into this a bit a more, by any chance are you able to test out if switch2uneek emunand channel works for you to return to real nand?

For nswitch it makes sense to replace it on emunand with back2nand, but for switch2uneek both real nand and emunand apps are renaming the bootmii folder on the sd card, so if the back2nand channel is used to return to real nand instead then the folder won't get renamed back and switch2uneek may not work properly when run from real nand the next time to start uneek.
so let me explain a little more. I created a sneek nand for SD using modmii.
modmii created bootmiineek folder with armboot.bin. i renamed the folder to bootmii and started the HBC to start bootmii which really starts sneek. once on sneek system menu I click on the preinstalled neek2o channel which i thought should return me to the real nand system menu but it doesn't. some text appears in the upper left but its so fast its hard to read all that it says before it disappears and then the sneek system menu appears again.

there's a neek2o_nk2o_1.wad in the wad folder. but i already have a neek2o channel installed on real nand and i thought that was for neek2o not sneek. neek2o expects the emunand to be in a subfolder of nand. my nand is on the root of the sd card.

did i do something wrong?

edit: summary of the text - mounts usb - tries to find kernel.bin - doesn't so it mounts sd - quickly says couldn't load kernel.bin into memory returning to system menu.
according to the nswitch code its suppose to detect that im on sneek nand and just do a system restart. mounting usb and sd to find kernel.bin is what its supposed to do if we are on real nand.

Last edited by fledge68,

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Thx for the info.

Nswitch doesn't care where the emunand is located, it just launches neek and it handles the rest. So it should work with the original neek and neek2o, and which nand is loaded and from where depends on how neek itself is configured. At least this is my understanding.

Also, while I didn't look at the nswitch code my understanding was that if detected to be running on emunand, it should rename bootmii back to bootmiineek before doing a system restart.

Last edited by XFlak,

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so let me explain a little more. I created a sneek nand for SD using modmii.
modmii created bootmiineek folder with armboot.bin. i renamed the folder to bootmii and started the HBC to start bootmii which really starts sneek. once on sneek system menu I click on the preinstalled neek2o channel which i thought should return me to the real nand system menu but it doesn't. some text appears in the upper left but its so fast its hard to read all that it says before it disappears and then the sneek system menu appears again.

there's a neek2o_nk2o_1.wad in the wad folder. but i already have a neek2o channel installed on real nand and i thought that was for neek2o not sneek. neek2o expects the emunand to be in a subfolder of nand. my nand is on the root of the sd card.

did i do something wrong?

edit: summary of the text - mounts usb - tries to find kernel.bin - doesn't so it mounts sd - quickly says couldn't load kernel.bin into memory returning to system menu.
according to the nswitch code its suppose to detect that im on sneek nand and just do a system restart. mounting usb and sd to find kernel.bin is what its supposed to do if we are on real nand.
copy everything to the SD
do not rename the bootmiineek folder
install neek2o_nk2o_1.wad found in wad folder in real nand
it works for me

Last edited by matto21,

mayford5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, very new to modding the WII. However, I mistakenly bought a Japanese region WII and it is now a necessity to play my library of US WII games. I have been reading the tutorials and also watching videos, but how does one go frome writing all the software required to the SD card to it actually loading on the WII? Does it see the SD card and take read it like booting to an external drive or a disc on a PC? I have some knowledge of IT as I have been working with and on Macs and PCs since the early 90s, but it seems the WII is smarter than I. LOL Thank you in advance for your help. Caveat, I have not started the process as of yet because I need to get a new SD card. All of mine are fried.

Andrew

Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Even without your sd card, grab modmii, run its main wizard, and it will generate a custom guide for u to follow. When you get your sd card just copy over the files as indicated and proceed as per your guide. Also note that you can still do 90% of the modding without an SD card, and use a fat32 hdd in its place. You just won't be able to install bootmii or make a nand backup (which you can do later when your sd card arrives, or you can even borrow one just for the install, you won't need it again unless you need to restore a backup in the event of a semi-brick). All this will be described in your custom guide generated by modmii.

AFTER fully completing the main wizard, you can run modmii's region change wizard to switch from J to another region.

You can do all this now to just generate the guides and read through them, but this is definitely where you should start as a first time softmodder. Given your background you will probably climb the learning curve quite quickly. The modmii guides aren't just about the steps involved, but they include lots of spoilers and links and helpful hints and fun facts to help educate first time modders.

And if you get stuck or have questions you can always ask me here or on discord.

mayford5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even without your sd card, grab modmii, run its main wizard, and it will generate a custom guide for u to follow. When you get your sd card just copy over the files as indicated and proceed as per your guide. Also note that you can still do 90% of the modding without an SD card, and use a fat32 hdd in its place. You just won't be able to install bootmii or make a nand backup (which you can do later when your sd card arrives, or you can even borrow one just for the install, you won't need it again unless you need to restore a backup in the event of a semi-brick). All this will be described in your custom guide generated by modmii.

AFTER fully completing the main wizard, you can run modmii's region change wizard to switch from J to another region.

You can do all this now to just generate the guides and read through them, but this is definitely where you should start as a first time softmodder. Given your background you will probably climb the learning curve quite quickly. The modmii guides aren't just about the steps involved, but they include lots of spoilers and links and helpful hints and fun facts to help educate first time modders.

And if you get stuck or have questions you can always ask me here or on discord.
Awesome. Thank you. That is where my disconnect was. I needed to get started first to create the guide. Sweet. I'll get started when I get home from work tonight. So excited and thank you for this tool.

Andrew

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hey everyone! I've added support to ModMii to build fakemote cIOSs! Well, at least I think I have! If someone is able to test for me that would be great!

To test, download the latest version of ModMii (currently 6.6.3), start ModMii Classic, enter "4", then "beta", then choose the number corresponding to "d2x-v10-b52-ST-FM0_5_0" (probably "1"), then enter "25057" (to install fakemote to slot 250), then "D", then "Y", then install the WAD using any WAD manager and report back if Fakemote is working!

Note that if you want to install it to a different slot, instead of download page 4, from the main menu go to the Advanced downloads page "A", select what you want to build and it will give you the option of changing the slot number.

Lastly, also note that this cIOS is based on d2x v10 beta52 except it includes an updated FAT module for Emunand support of drives hidden by UStealth, more info on the updated FAT module here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ciosx-rev21d2x-yet-another-hot-fix.277659/page-163#post-5092147

1644056800219.png

AdmnHellriser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why doesn't USB Loader GX work? I followed the custom ModMii tutorial made for me and it worked perfectly up until it said I needed to copy files from the folder COPY_TO_USB to the USB drive. I didn't have that folder up until recently when I was told about a bug that ModMii Skin has where it doesn't make some files directly to root of a USB or SD card. I copied the files over but the problem still persisted, when I click USB loader after a short period of time I get sent back to the home screen. My USB is formatted to FAT32, I tried different ports (I know that wouldn't have done anything) and I tried doing the tutorial all over again. Has anybody else had this problem and found a fix?

AdmnHellriser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a basic flash drive.

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 134226876
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 66 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 7 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[38] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 02/14/2022.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
The only HDD I have is nearly 2tb. I know that the 3DS cant read SD cards over 64 GB, is there any limitation on the WII?
SD cards limit on Wii if you have updated to 4.2 it supports SD cards that are SD (max 2 GB) and SDHC (max 32 GB), but not SDXC.
But SDHC (SD cards that surpasses 2 GB) are not recommended for most homebrew apps.

Reactions: jeannotte

AdmnHellriser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD cards limit on Wii if you have updated to 4.2 it supports SD cards that are SD (max 2 GB) and SDHC (max 32 GB), but not SDXC.
But SDHC (SD cards that surpasses 2 GB) are not recommended for most homebrew apps.
Will my 2tb hard drive work? From what I'm reading its saying that anything over 2tb is not recomended.

Reactions: jeannotte

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
2TB should work fine, but again compatibility varies from hdd to hdd, so there are no guarantees, but I would think it's more likely to work than your thumb drive.

You may have more luck with that thumb drive if you format it as wbfs using wii backup manager. U would forgo many of the benefits of fat32, but wbfs often demonstrates greater hdd compatibility.

And iirc the size limitation on sd cards doesn't necessarily apply to homebrew applications.

Last edited by XFlak,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV