XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
^^^Exactly. Paying for something that is available freely is bogus. But as far as ModMii, xflak has the complete right to do a scam screen. Hell, it is his app that is OPEN SOURCE. But the warning of scam should stay just so people dont get shafted by James Dean or whatever else. XFlak does not demand any payment, but if someone donates then great.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I agree that paying for free software is not really smart. But I'm just sayin, legally the scam notice is a misinformation, regardless whether it's open source or not. All that matters is the license. And by the way, you don't need to get bushings approval since ModMii behaves basically like a wget command. You also don't need Nintendos approval for letting the NUS downloader grab some files from their servers :)

Again, this is just a suggestion to make ModMii a bit more professional looking. You don't have to if you don't want :)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree that paying for free software is not really smart. But I'm just sayin, legally the scam notice is a misinformation, regardless whether it's open source or not. All that matters is the license. And by the way, you don't need to get bushings approval since ModMii behaves basically like a wget command. You also don't need Nintendos approval for letting the NUS downloader grab some files from their servers :)

Again, this is just a suggestion to make ModMii a bit more professional looking. You don't have to if you don't want :)

It never says anything regarding legality in the scam warning AFAIK. It just says if you pay for it, you have been scammed. 100% true. If you sell something that is free, you ARE scamming. It doesn't matter if you have the legal right to sell it or not, you are still performing a scam selling something that can be obtained for free. So the scam warning is perfectly correct.

Reactions: 1 person

ChrisLuther

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question. Getting an error on the download of the HackMii installer. Flashes up MD5 verifaction faied and tries to redownload. Is this due to the new version that is out?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You also don't need Nintendos approval for letting the NUS downloader grab some files from their servers :)
Rubbish. Just because you can take something, doesn't mean you have permission. There are no text pages on NUS saying the files are free to download and it is clearly meant to be accessed by their software running on a wii. Ever heard the phrase "All Rights Reserved"? That means the creator doesn't give permission for you to do anything with their creation and unless stated otherwise it applies to all copyright material, including the content on NUS.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@[member='ChrisLuther'], the hackmii installer has been updated, so ModMii is still expecting to find v0.8 of the installer when you are actually downloading v1.0, and until ModMii is updated it will consider it "invalid" when in actuality it's perfectly safe

@everyone talking about NUS or scam warning stuff, I think it belongs in another thread. If the conversations ends here then it's all good, but if it's going to continue please take it to another thread. Thanks!

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

ModMii for Windows
Version 6.0.4 Released!
by XFlak

Download ModMii Installer Here

Download Spanish ModMii Installer Here
Spanish version not updated yet, still at v5.1.1

Download Italian ModMii Installer Here
Italian version not updated yet, still at v4.8.2

Download French ModMii Installer Here
French version not updated yet, still at v4.6.1

Download Dutch ModMii Installer Here
Dutch version not updated yet, still at v4.6.1

See first post for more info.
6.0.4 Changelog

• Updated md5 hash and sysCheck Updater recognition for v1.0 of the HackMii Installer. A big thanks goes out to Team Twiizers for this unexpected update.
  • settings.exe was updated to v1.1 by obcd (v1.0 by cwstjdenobs). setting.txt's built for an Emulated NAND of one region but based on a different region's serial number will now also be able to establish a wifi connection.
  • Added an option to change the setting.txt to ModMii's Emulated NAND Modifier. This will allow you to modify an Emulated NAND to be able to establish a wifi connection when running on a different real Wii.
  • Fixed bug that only occurred when running ModMii Skin on Windows XP and it would not wait for ModMii Classic to finish running before reporting the Download Log. Thanks to person66 for his revisions to ModMii's Launcher (aka shortcut-er).
  • Fixed bug where drag and drop support did not work when items were dragged into ModMii.bat and ModMiiSkin.bat. This bug did not apply when items were dragged onto ModMii.exe and ModMiiSkin.exe.
  • Other Minor Changes.

ChrisLuther

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='ChrisLuther'], the hackmii installer has been updated, so ModMii is still expecting to find v0.8 of the installer when you are actually downloading v1.0, and until ModMii is updated it will consider it "invalid" when in actuality it's perfectly safe
I assumed as much but thought best to check. Cheers XFlak

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
great work on that dragbe, but as I mentioned to you in a PM, I think using this method with ModMii will just make the process more complicated. Users would need to run ModMii on their PC, perform some steps on the Wii, then return to their PC in order to install the WADs using your tool, then go back to the Wii again to finish their softmod. Not to mention that it would mean that ModMii would require a wifi connection on the Wii, which is not a requirement in ModMii's current state.

I like your tool, but I think it's geared towards more advanced users who install WADs frequently. As such I don't think it should be in ModMii.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@everyone talking about NUS or scam warning stuff, I think it belongs in another thread. If the conversations ends here then it's all good, but if it's going to continue please take it to another thread. Thanks!

Wouldn't you think it's in your and ModMii's interest to keep the conversation here if someone claims that afterall ModMii is illegal because it grabs files from Nintendos servers?

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Wouldn't you think it's in your and ModMii's interest to keep the conversation here if someone claims that afterall ModMii is illegal because it grabs files from Nintendos servers?
There are tons of apps that download files from NUS. Just to name a few, NUS downloader, sneek installer, dop-mii, mmm, theme mii, cios installers, cMIOS installers, etc. This debate has no more to do with ModMii than it does with any of those apps. By keeping the debate going in the ModMii thread all it does is attract negative attention to ModMii and make it harder for ModMii users to locate posts that are actually informative and useful.

And it's just a debate, it's not like if a consensus is reached then the Wii scene will just stop downloading from NUS because you a small group of people decided it was wrong. In the end this debate will affect nothing... until nintendo makes a change to how their files are hosted on NUS, or scares some people by acting like Sony and suing people, no one is going to bother removing NUS support from their apps.

So you can take your pointless debate elsewhere, heck, maybe start a poll topic so people can vote on whether they think apps should stop using NUS. But like I said, even if 100% of people vote to remove NUS download support, I'm willing to bet very few devs (probably zero) will actually remove NUS support based solely on your poll\debate. It's going to take more than that to force that change to happen... and the real questions is... why would you want to?

Fair warning, anyone continuing to post about the NUS download debate in MY thread will have their posts reported and dealt with.

dragbe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not to mention that it would mean that ModMii would require a wifi connection on the Wii, which is not a requirement in ModMii's current state.
I think using this method with ModMii will just make the process more complicated.
It's not a problem and the wadload support is easy to implement, if wadload.exe fails to transfer a wad file to the Wii for any reasons, the DOS command returns a non zero value --> modmii will copy generated wad files into the appropriate folder
Users would need to run ModMii on their PC, perform some steps on the Wii, then return to their PC in order to install the WADs using your tool, then go back to the Wii again to finish their softmod.
Many people use modmii for its wads
I like your tool, but I think it's geared towards more advanced users who install WADs frequently. As such I don't think it should be in ModMii.
Correct but the wadload support will make modmii more attractive

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
md5 has on "PAL Weather Channel" always fails with md5 hash, actually it's 15th download and it still fail. Just tried installing the "supposed to be bad" wad file and it works fine.

can you look at it?

CaseyRobertson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me first apologize if this is a redundant question.... That being said, I was following a guide online to softmod my Wii 4.3u. I have installed the HBC and BootMii as boot2 using the letterbomb. I have been looking for the 4.3 Hack Pack. I checked the GBA forum and found this string about ModMii. I'm going to go this route now, thanks!!!

So here's my first of many questions seeing as I'm a noob to softmoding. Where do I start seeing as that I have already installed the HBC and BootMii? Thanks so much in advance!!

I also apologize if I'm in the wrong thread for this question. If that's the case just move this question and direct me to the correct string. Thanks again!!

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Since you used god-knows-what guide, I suggest you tell modmii your Wii is a virgin and start from scratch (no need to uninstall anything on the wii) to be sure you get everything up to date.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol