Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I meant, is the v8 forwarder channel unable to boot a usb-loader from your hard drive? how about from the sd card? The forwarder channel works great, but a few ppl have reported compatibility issues. I suspect SD compatibility is unaffected, so the v8 forwarder channel may not be able to launch a usb-loader from your hard drive, but it should still be able to launch it from the SD card. Note that all my Qs are referring to the forwarder channel, not the homebrew channel.

exorcist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried booting from sd card "yes" I can boot a usb-loader from sd card using v8 forwarder but not from hard drive just drops back to sm.
Thanks never thought of trying to boot the usb-loader from sd.

firesavvy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i used this nifty little program to re-mod my 4.2u and my friends virgin 4.3u last night.

the 4.2 is working great so far. the 4.3 seems to be semi bricked as the wii now freezes at a black screen when trying to access wii settings. i can get into data management, just not settings. i tried using mymenufy to reinstall the original theme but the wii still freezes accessing the settings screen. it is otherwise working as it should.

any advice would be appreciated, although you've already done such great things. in the meantime, i will continue skimming the thread for a solution.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
try installing the 4.3U system menu wad (download it from ModMii's download page 1) and hopefully that will fix your problem. Note, that this also uninstalls priiloader, so you should reinstall it afterwards and enable system menu hacks. If that still doesn't fix it, u can try restoring your nand backup you should have made at the very beginning of your softmodding process... then just resoftmod but this time without a theme. It's odd you're having this problem with the theme... its been working great for everyone else.

firesavvy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for the quick heads up!

tbh i've used this program to hack almost a dozen wii's now, and this is the first problem i've had. it was only with this 4.3 too, the rest were all 4.2's and one 4.1 and went off without a hitch.

cheers, i will let you know how it goes.

eta - installed system men 4.3 wad as dl'd from your program, then switched back to black theme and all is well. thanks again for your great support.

simonrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed modmii by following the simple steps, but i cant seem to get wii to boot my backup dvds? help??

can someone tell me what i need to download? system is a 4.2

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Was the wii able to play backup discs before? Not all wii's can play backup discs, newer wii's have a d3-2 dvd drive that won't play backup discs.

I recommend you use a usb-loader instead, as all wii's can run a usb-loader.

If the wii is capable of playing backup discs, how are u trying to launch them? You should be using neogamma. If you are accustomed to launching backup discs from the disc channel, u will need to reinstall darkcorp after using modmii (and to keep darkcorp intact, the next time u use ModMii, turn off the update active IOSs option), but u should read up on Darkcorp before installing it, there are some risks involved and it may take a few tries for the installer to work properly.

simonrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im not sure, this is the first time i have tried to do it. It is a black wii.
Do you have to have a usb hardrive to load games instead?

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
all non-white wii's have the new d3-2 dvd drives and cannot play backup discs.

u need a usb-loader to play backups of your games (originals still work from the disc channel). If u insist on playing backup discs, u will need to either replace the dvd drive with a non d3-2 model or install a modchip. USB-Loaders are infinitely better/faster anyways, so I recommend u use ModMii to help u set up your usb-loader.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the compatibility (or any other) differences between using the following cIOS's from ModMii vs. the "Mod Any Wii" tutorial?

ModMii:
223[37-38]-v4
250[57]-v20

Mod Any Wii:
223[37]-v5
250[37]-v20

And... evidently beings Wanins v21 isn't being used for everything - there must be a downside? What is it?

sevalle_xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi XFlak... great tutorial.

I used your guide with ModMii.
I have a Japanese Wii, it was 3.1J before ModMii, 4.1J now after.
There were no problems with the Guide by ModMii.

But my problem now is, it won't read any of my game discs at all.
Have you or anyone encountered this problem?

I might be missing or lacking something.
I will post the complete guide by ModMii.

Feeling that the modding was complete, I removed the SD card and booted Wii by itself.
I inserted disc, cannot read. Should the SD card still be used, and if yes, does it still need certain files, because after the FileClean, barely 5 files were left, most TXT files only.

Appreciate the help, please! Thanks!
ModMii 4.4.5 Custom Guide
Generated on Sun 01/23/2011 - 12:34:33.33
Check for updates at tinyurl.com/ModMiiNow

This Guide was generated using the following parameters:

* Wii is currently a virgin (un-modified)
* Current firmware is 3.XJ
* Desired firmware is 4.1J

* Download Extra Brick Protection
* Install Dark Wii Red Theme
* Update active IOSs

This software is not for sale. If you paid for this software or a "bundle" you have been scammed.

THIS PACKAGE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, NEITHER STATED NOR IMPLIED.
NO ONE BUT YOURSELF IS TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THIS MAY CAUSE TO YOUR NINTENDO WII CONSOLE!
USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

IMPORTANT NOTES:

*This guide does NOT require a Wifi connection on your Wii.
*An SD card formatted to FAT(32) required (Best results are with non-SDHC cards, SDHC will only work on 4.0 or above).
*If you get errors during any of the steps reformat your SD card as FAT or FAT32
*Turn off WiiConnect24 and take out all gamecube memory cards/controllers when modding the Wii (unless instructed otherwise).
*If your Wii ever freezes, hold the power button on the Wii for 5 seconds to power it off then try again.
*Don’t ever accept a new Nintendo update without first googling to see if it’s safe. The last update (to 4.3) was released in late June 2010 and is NOT safe to accept. If you accept an official Nintendo update after modding the Wii, you may lose some or all of your modifications.
*Never uninstall a system menu or IOS
*Do not install untested wads/themes without Bootmii or Priiloader installed.
*This custom guide is great start, but Wii modding is always evolving. Check for updates online, and remember, google is your friend.
*If you have questions, a more detailed guide can be found here: www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/

1) INSTALLING THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL (HBC) AND BOOTMII
=================================================

Run BannerBomb v1 by going to Settings, Data Management, Channels, SD Card and choosing yes to load boot.dol/elf
Note: If it doesn't work for you, visit <a href="http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/" target="_blank">http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/</a> for more variations of either version of bannerbomb.

This runs the Hackmii Installer (and silently/automatically installs BootMii as IOS). Use the installer to install the Homebrew Channel (HBC) and Bootmii as Boot2 if possible. If you cannot install BootMii as Boot2, you also need to 'prepare an SD Card' for BootMii (as the 'BootMii' folder is required to launch BootMii as IOS or Boot2).

Note: If you get a 'no vulnerable IOS' error message, run ModMii again and this time select the 'Hackmii Solutions' option instead of 'ModMii Wizard' and follow the new instructions before continuing this guide.

After you exit the hackmii installer, you will be taken to the HBC.
Hit the home button. In the top right corner you will see the IOS used by the HBC.

If the HBC is using an IOS other than IOS58 or your homebrew channel is upside-down, make a note of it as it applies later in the guide (you will have to reinstall the HBC).

If it is using IOS58 and your HBC is not upside-down, you can skip the Reinstall The Homebrew Channel step when you get to it.

2) MAKING A NAND BACKUP
====================

While inside the Homebrew Channel, load BootMii by pressing home and clicking Launch Bootmii.
Press the power button on the wii 3 times to get to the last option, then press the reset button. [You can also navigate with a Gamecube controller]

Press reset to choose the first option, then follow the directions on the screen to make your NAND backup. [Bad blocks are no problem.]

Backup the Bootmii folder, NAND.bin, and keys.bin elsewhere and erase from the sd card (or rename it). You'll need these in case of emergencies, so don't lose them.
Go back to The Homebrew Channel.

Note: if Bootmii was installed as boot2, then it will show up as soon as the Wii is turned on AS LONG AS it finds the bootmii folder (mentioned above) on the root of the SD card.

3) INSTALL A PATCHED IOS236
========================

Start the Homebrew Channel.

VERY IMPORTANT!
In the Homebrew channel, if you do not have a working internet connection already set up, you will see an icon flashing in the bottom right corner of the screen indicating its inability to initialize the network. You MUST wait for the icon to stop flashing OR let it flash for 30-60 seconds before proceeding otherwise these apps will error shortly after being launched. If you encounter this harmless error, power off the Wii and repeat this step from the beginning. To increase your chances of success, add a working internet connection to your Wii via the official Wii Settings Menu, but be sure to say "No" when asked to perform an update.

You only need to perform ONE of the below methods.

Method A: Using IOS236 Installer
--------------------------------

After waiting 30-60 seconds for the HBC to attempt to initialize the network, launch "IOS236 Installer v5 MOD".
Note: This app must be launched using HBC v1.0.7 or higher in order to work properly.

It should say "IOS236 installation is complete!" and return to The Homebrew Channel.

If you experience errors, keep trying and it should eventually work.
If you continue to experience errors you can try using Simple IOS Patcher instead.
Once either method successfully installs IOS236, you can move onto the next step.

Method B: Using Simple IOS Patcher
----------------------------------

After waiting 30-60 seconds for the HBC to attempt to initialize the network, launch "IOS236 Installer".
Note: This app must be launched using HBC v1.0.7 or higher in order to work properly.

Choose "IOS36" (already selected by default) and push A,
Select "Install IOS to slot" and choose 236,
Select "Install patched IOS36" leaving the 4 patches set to "yes" and press A,
Choose "Load IOS from SD card".

Confirm your choice with the A button,
When prompted, push A to continue the installation.
When the installation is over you'll be back at the Main Menu,
Then push B button to exit.

If you experience errors, keep trying and it should eventually work.
If you continue to experience errors you can try using IOS236 Installer instead.
Once either method successfully installs IOS236, you can move onto the next step.

4) INSTALL WADS
============

Load Multi-Mod Manager (MMM) via the HomeBrew Channel.
If IOS236 is not already loaded, select "Load another IOS", then select IOS236

Note: If this step fails with error -ret 2011 or other, you may need to retry patching IOS236. If the Wii was previously softmodded, you can try loading cIOS250 (or others like 202,222,223,224,236,249)

In Multi-Mod Manager's main menu, go down to select "WAD Manager".

Install the following WADs from the WAD folder (this list of WADs is unique to how you answered the Wizard's questions).

Be careful not to install any additional wads that may have been previously saved in this folder (they may be safe, but I cannot say for sure).

Hold + for 2 seconds to select all the WADs in the folder. Then Press A twice to install them all.
If any files fail to install properly, they will remain marked for installation, so just retry installing those files.

Your unique list of wads to install are as follows:

* IOS11v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
* IOS20v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
* IOS30v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
* IOS50v14889(IOS50v4889[FS-ES-NP])
* IOS60v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
* IOS70v16687(IOS70v6687[FS-ES-NP])
* SystemMenu_4.1J_v448_DarkWiiRed
* cIOS202[57]-v5
* cIOS223[37-38]-v4
* cIOS222[38]-v5
* cIOS224[57]-v5
* cIOS250[57]-v20
* cIOS249[56]-v20
* RVL-cmios-v4_WiiGator_GCBL_v0.2
* IOS9-64-v1034
* IOS12-64-v526
* IOS13-64-v1032
* IOS14-64-v1032
* IOS15-64-v1032
* IOS17-64-v1032
* IOS21-64-v1039
* IOS22-64-v1294
* IOS28-64-v1807
* IOS31-64-v3608
* IOS33-64-v3608
* IOS34-64-v3608
* IOS35-64-v3608
* IOS36-64-v3608
* IOS37-64-v5663
* IOS38-64-v4124
* IOS41-64-v3607
* IOS43-64-v3607
* IOS45-64-v3607
* IOS46-64-v3607
* IOS48-64-v4124
* IOS53-64-v5663
* IOS55-64-v5663
* IOS56-64-v5662
* IOS57-64-v5919
* IOS58-64-v6176
* IOS61-64-v5662
* USBLoader(s)-ahbprot58-SD-USB-v8-IDCL
This is a forwarder channel that will load the first file it finds from the following list:
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\usb-loader\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usb-loader\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_cfg\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_cfg\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\WiiFlow\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\WiiFlow\boot.elf
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_gx\boot.dol
SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_gx\boot.elf
Notes: IOS58 is required to launch apps from an SD Card and hard drives formatted as
FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3 and ext4. It also supports meta.xml arguments
and is able to launch apps with direct hardware access.
You should always have at least one forwarder channel installed on your Wii,
that way, in the event of accidental update, you will be able to rehack your Wii without relying on a disc based exploit

Note: Whenever you install a new System Menu, Priiloader is uninstalled. So be sure to reinstall it afterwards (especially if you do not have bootmii as boot2)

5) INSTALL PRIILOADER
==================

Launch "Priiloader 236" via the Homebrew Channel

After the Priiloader Installer loads, press + to install it.

You may get an error for "loader.ini" and/or "password.txt" simply ignore these.

After successfully installing Priiloader, access it by powering off the Wii,
then powering it back on while holding reset until you see the Priiloader menu.

You should install some system menu hacks now (by going to System Menu hacks option).

RECOMMENDED HACKS: Block Disc Updates, Block Online Updates, Replace Health Screen, Auto-Press A at Health Screen, Region-Free Everything, remove no copy save file protection, and Move Disc Channel.

The priiloader menu is white by default, you can change it to black in the Priiloader settings if you prefer.

One of the special functions of Priiloader is that it can autoboot any app/file instead of the system menu. Some apps (like crazyIntro) can't be used without it.
For details on how to do so, visit www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/system-hacks/priiloader

6) REINSTALL THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL (if applicable)
==============================================

Earlier you should have checked what IOS is used by the Homebrew Channel (HBC). If the IOS used by your HBC is IOS58 and your HBC is not upside-down, you can skip this step.

If the HBC is using an IOS other than IOS58 or your HBC is upside-down, you should reinstall the HBC.

Launch the HackMii_Installer via the HBC.
Use the Hackmii Installer to fix/re-install the HBC. Once you've successfully reinstalled the HBC, you can move onto the next step of the guide.

If the HBC is failing to load the HackMii_Installer (just blackscreens), instead launch the Hackmii Installer using the method described in the First Step

7) AFTER MODDING
=============

After you are done modding your Wii, you can optionally delete any unnecesarry files
by using ModMii's "File Cleanup" Feature.

If you choose not to use the File Cleanup feature, in order to avoid having your Wii freeze when accessing the SD Card Menu, you should delete the 'aktn' folder where bannerbomb is saved (SD:\private\wii\title\aktn), or rename the entire 'private' folder.

At this point you're practically done.
Now you should be downloading the latest homebrew applications and setting them up on
your SD Card (or FAT32 USB Hard Drive) so they can be launched via the HBC.

For playing your backups off a USB hard drive, run the USB-Loader Setup feature from ModMii's Main Menu

For downloading applications, you should:
* Check out ModMii's batch download pages as it has many popular apps available for download.
* Download Homebrew Browser via ModMii to get many popular apps, but this is an online only Wii application (www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/hbb)
* For those without internet on their Wii, check out this list of Homebrew applications (wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_all_homebrew).
Another great resource is webrewwii.blogspot.com

After getting whatever apps you want, you should get a boot.dol file and possibly a icon.png and meta.xml.
For HBC to read your SD/USB correctly, your card must be structured SD:/apps/application name/boot.dol
If you have a *.dol not named boot.dol, rename it boot.dol, otherwise it will not be recognized by the HBC.
(optional: the icon.png and meta.xml should be saved in the same place as the boot.dol)

8) SUPPORT XFLAK
=============

IF MODMII WORKED FOR YOU, PLEASE VOTE IN FAVOUR OF THE PROGRAM HERE (tinyurl.com/ModMiiNow)

DONATIONS CAN OPTIONALLY BE MADE VIA PAYPAL TO [email protected]

CHECK OUT MY TOP CHANNELS HERE (tinyurl.com/topchannels)

CHECK OUT MY CRAZY INTRO VIDEOS HERE (tinyurl.com/crazyintro)

alfabeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi all,
maybe you can give me a hand...
I've used this guide a couple of times allways with sucess, but now (on my 4th time, and on my second wii) ...
Everytime I play a channel (anyone except for homebrew or usb forwaeder) or try to play a game (either original ou from cfg) an irritating warning apears saying that "there has been a disk error, press eject and reset"...
Any ideas on how i can resolve this issue?

For your knolodge, this time i didn't do a nand backup, (i know, i know) and i've gone to the procedure again (from the homebrew channel) twice before posting. The only difference that i can tell, is that i'm using the newer version of the guide.

Any help would be apreciated!

Cheers!

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@D34DL1N3R, rev21 has lower USB compatibility that other cIOSs, and it really doesn't offer anything over other cIOSs except limited triiforce compatibility

@sevalle_xx, please edit your post to put your ModMii guide in a spoiler (see instructions at the bottom of the first post if you don't know how). Firstly, when you say it cannot play discs anymore, do you mean backup discs or original discs? If its a backup disc, u can play them using neogamma (assuming the Wii hardware is capable in the first place), if u want to play them via the disc channel, u need to install darkcorp (read the risks first, darkcorp isn't for everyone). USB Loading is much better than disc loading anyways, so u should just set up a usb-loader instead

You only NEED an SD card for initially modding the Wii, accessing bootmii, or accessing sneek/uneek. Everything else can be done with just a FAT32 hard drive.

@alfabeto, r u trying to play BACKUP discs on a NEW wii?

alfabeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi,
Yes it's a new wii that i got yesterday, completely virgin.

It doens't play original ou backups (stored in an usb drive, accessed trough cfg), or enything else (including all channels) except for the homebrew channel.

any ideas? it's an 4.3E wii.

Tanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool