Hacking Best way to mod a 360 in 2021?

M1ghty_boy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been searching and can't find much on this. I don't mind soldering (In fact I ordered a coolrunner yesterday because I found it cheap) and I'm using a Jasper.

So what's the best option for me? My main goal is freestyledash with xexmenu to run homebrew/modded game builds.

EDIT: I'll also find the dash version, however I remember updating it in 2018/2019

Last edited by M1ghty_boy,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can update it to the latest dash, it doesn't matter, I'd fully support RGHing it, best choice.
If you want to play on XBLive, you could opt for a dual NAND install, have the clean NAND on the board and the hacked one on the chip.

The roadmap sticky is still pretty solid if you do a bit of extra googling.
Another thing you'll need is a way to dump your NAND, you can do it yourself with some diodes and a LPT cable or opt for the quicker and easier NAND-X or JR Programmer, the latter might be a better solution as it allows you to debug the boot sequence if you have the proper chips and cables.

M1ghty_boy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can update it to the latest dash, it doesn't matter, I'd fully support RGHing it, best choice.
If you want to play on XBLive, you could opt for a dual NAND install, have the clean NAND on the board and the hacked one on the chip.

The roadmap sticky is still pretty solid if you do a bit of extra googling.
Another thing you'll need is a way to dump your NAND, you can do it yourself with some diodes and a LPT cable or opt for the quicker and easier NAND-X or JR Programmer, the latter might be a better solution as it allows you to debug the boot sequence if you have the proper chips and cables.

Thanks. My issue is that I also can't easily find an affordable NAND-X or JR Programmer. I managed to pick up my (probably knockoff) coolrunner for about £2 but JR Programmers and NAND-Xs sell for anywhere from £15-£30. I don't mind ordering from china.

Dual NAND also sounds cool, do I need a separate board for that? How would one switch between modded NAND and fresh NAND, would there be a selection on boot?

Thanks for the help.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. My issue is that I also can't easily find an affordable NAND-X or JR Programmer. I managed to pick up my (probably knockoff) coolrunner for about £2 but JR Programmers and NAND-Xs sell for anywhere from £15-£30. I don't mind ordering from china.

Dual NAND also sounds cool, do I need a separate board for that? How would one switch between modded NAND and fresh NAND, would there be a selection on boot?

Thanks for the help.

afaik, dual nand is no longer necessary. there's a plugin you can create with visual studio and the xdk that will enable stealth when signed in. I don't have the xdk, so I have no experience with the plugin. I'd also be afraid of testing it in case I did something wrong, then boom banned. as far dual nand is concerned, if you do want to go that route, I think there's one called the demon iirc. that's the only one I can recall. there may be others.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
afaik, dual nand is no longer necessary. there's a plugin you can create with visual studio and the xdk that will enable stealth when signed in. I don't have the xdk, so I have no experience with the plugin. I'd also be afraid of testing it in case I did something wrong, then boom banned. as far dual nand is concerned, if you do want to go that route, I think there's one called the demon iirc. that's the only one I can recall. there may be others.

I normally would say not to use paid stealth, unless you just wanna fuck around online,but only because teapot has freemode enabled, soo, it's free, for now

Btw once you set teapot as a plugin, it partially replaces the 360 ui too,
You won't get banned as long as you use the same stealth, keyvaults aren't too expensive get a bunch of em for like $25, and just have them on standby, but you won't get banned as long as you're properly stealthed

I've been signed in on both xbone and my modded 360 modding online, while in party chat on xbone, I know an ass of people reported my GT, still nothing

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: godreborn

antonyfirst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, I have a question too... I would like to play Xbox games such as Otogi. Is it possible to achieve this with flashed drive / odde, or is RGH necessary?

antonyfirst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd honestly RGH it if I where you.
It's not worth the hassle to try and mullet a XGD1.
Thanks Dinoh. Is Flashing the drive still a prerequisite? I read the pinned guide but I will have to study it again. If it's still necessary, could I send you the drive (I am in EU)?

antonyfirst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Flashing the drive isn't needed if you want to RGH it.
Only if you really want to play burnt games which kinda defeats the purpose of a RGH.
I would like to play 360 backups too, can I just install them to the hard drive? And, as such, not require flashing the drive?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would like to play 360 backups too, can I just install them to the hard drive? And, as such, not require flashing the drive?

With RGH?
Only thing you need on a RGH machine is a 2 TB internal drive, you'll be able to copy extracted games or GOD containers to the xbox via FTP or 360 content manager.
You're not just limited to games, DLC and XBLA also work, Indie games, homebrew, everything can be launched from the internal drive.
You can swap the stock drive to a 2 TB one for neater results or hook up an external and be at the mercy of USB 2 speeds.

Flashing a drive whilst your machine is RGHd has no additional benefits other then the ability to read backup DVDs.

Reactions: antonyfirst

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this site's guide isn't up to date... is there a better one? I've looked into it a few times myself but kind of gave up on it as it looks like too much of a hassle. Apparently I have a falcon.

antonyfirst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With RGH?
Only thing you need on a RGH machine is a 2 TB internal drive, you'll be able to copy extracted games or GOD containers to the xbox via FTP or 360 content manager.
You're not just limited to games, DLC and XBLA also work, Indie games, homebrew, everything can be launched from the internal drive.
You can swap the stock drive to a 2 TB one for neater results or hook up an external and be at the mercy of USB 2 speeds.

Flashing a drive whilst your machine is RGHd has no additional benefits other then the ability to read backup DVDs.
Fantastic! Thank you. RGH, Jtag or Team executer's modchip would "free" my X360 all in the same way? So, for example, I'd be able to play Otogi with all of these options? As soon as I am back to my parents' place I will check what version I have for all the subcomponents

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If this site's guide isn't up to date... is there a better one? I've looked into it a few times myself but kind of gave up on it as it looks like too much of a hassle. Apparently I have a falcon.

Still largely up to date.
You'll have to do some soldering if you want to RGH it.
If you're uncomfortable with it, please, let someone do it for you.

Fantastic! Thank you. RGH, Jtag or Team executer's modchip would "free" my X360 all in the same way? So, for example, I'd be able to play Otogi with all of these options? As soon as I am back to my parents' place I will check what version I have for all the subcomponents

JTAG is pretty much impossible unless you have a 7371 dashboard.
RGH is what you'll likely want.

If you can solder, you'll want to have a JR programmer or NAND-X and a Ace V3 or Coolrunner chip.
Dashboard isn't to important, your motherboard revision is.

antonyfirst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks again!

Btw, is the 2tb disc mandatory?
Would I be fine with the stock hard disk, if I wanted to install only few games at time? I don't need to play sooo many games on the platform!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would atleast replace it with a newer drive.
Idk how old the drive is but if it's a 2006 one, that HDD already is 15 years old.

Ofcourse it's all up to you, a 2TB isn't mandatory but it's a welcomed extra, especially when you'd like to build a small library.
Hell a 500 GB would also be fine.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With RGH?

a usb flash drive works fine too, just make sure its quality drive with proper transfer speeds, i have a cheapo $10 32gb drive that has a max rate of a few MB/s at best, you should expect atleast 5-10MB/s

but nowadays you can buy 32-128GB flash drives for under $30 or so (most 360 games are 10GB or less, unless they are multi disc)

rgh doesn't require dvd flashing, FSD allowed to browse my disks file systems, and rip your games

but flashing and rgh both require disassembly and possible hardware modding, just go for rgh

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again!

Btw, is the 2tb disc mandatory?
Would I be fine with the stock hard disk, if I wanted to install only few games at time? I don't need to play sooo many games on the platform!

I installed a 1TB hdd in mine about 10 years ago. still works no problem. it's only used for indie games and dlc/title updates. I use an external hdd for xbla and 360/xbox games. I don't know if indie games work on external. I'd assume they do, because you can select the location with dashlaunch. I have over 3,400 indie games. :P

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a 1TB hdd in mine about 10 years ago. still works no problem. it's only used for indie games and dlc/title updates. I use an external hdd for xbla and 360/xbox games. I don't know if indie games work on external. I'd assume they do, because you can select the location with dashlaunch. I have over 3,400 indie games. :P

just put a 1tb firecuda sshd in it
https://bit.ly/3cMk5Xi

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's very sad and a poignant example of why preservation is so important.