Best way to learn Japanese?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Morgawr, Mar 8, 2009.

Mar 8, 2009

Best way to learn Japanese? by Morgawr at 10:13 PM (1,616 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Morgawr
    OP

Member Morgawr GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Hello everyone, for some time now I've been trying to learn Japanese... Though it's not that easy as it sounded (well, it NEVER sounded easy XP ). I've got different methods but I'm still struggling a lot, especially with kanas and kanjis so I wanted to ask you all, do you have any good way of learning Japanese?

I know my main problem now is Kana and Kanji, it takes me a lot to just read a single sentence (4-5 words) and I don't understand all the kanas, Katakana is my arch-enemy (rawr) and I haven't even started with Kanjis... So I was just looking for some nice exercises to learn how to read/write kanas and kanji at an acceptable speed.

My main sources of learning are:
    -NDS game: My Japanese Coach... I know, it sounds lame but it got me into it and it's nice.. not too good (some parts just leave you with WTF? especially verbs and stuff explained pretty bad)
    -A book a friend of mine gave me.. It's one of those traveler's guides and it's nice but too basic...

Any other tips or sources I could use? I don't intend to buy a new book or get something outside my house (meaning: buy) since I'm too lazy to do it, I just wanted some nice exercises to do, on the Internet.. Like games and stuff..

Also I'd love to have some basic NDS videogames in Japanese with a very easy to read Japanese (like those kid's games).. I know there is a Doraemon game to teach Japanese children their language but I can't find it (don't remember the name).

Another request would be: I know there was a free game downloadable from the internet which was some kind of RPG with nes-like graphics where you had to fight monsters with spelling kanas and kanjis, to teach Japanese... but I forgot the name, does somebody know what I'm talking about?

Share your experiences people, especially you guys who already know Japanese (lots of translators in here)! Thanks for your support ^^

2. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Slime Forest Adventure

3. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    From my personal experience, taking classes with a native speaker is the best, cheapest and easiest way you can learn Japanese, or any language for that matter. Obviously, he has to know how to handle a class, but I'm sure you'll be able to find qualified teachers almost anywhere. I study English Philology and work with Erasmus students, learning both English and Spanish, and trust me when I say that conversation + a well-planned system works really great. With games and those basic books you're using you'll get some vocabulary and grammar notions, but you will not learn any language. Books don't teach you how to talk, for example, unless they include a phonetical and phonological section, but that would require that you actually know how to work with phonetic symbols. This kind of tools is a good way to practice what you've learn or to expand your knowledge, but without a methodical study (i.e. classes, for example), you'll find the process 100 times harder than with it.

4. Morgawr
    OP

Italy
    I understand, unfortunately don't have enough freedom/time to go and attend classes and I don't have any Japanese speaker friend that coudl teach me, so for the moment I'll have to stick to just learning vocabulary and grammar notions, since it's my main priority. I want to be able to understand and read written japanese, speaking it will come later. I know it's not a good way of learning things, but it's my way and I just want to get everything I can out of this ^^

Also thanks DarthNemesis for the link! ^^

5. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Look for a set of language learning tools called "The Rosetta Stone" I have used the Japanese language one, its really good. I didnt have the patience to properly focus on it as Japanese is hard as hell, but its probably the best way to get started.

6. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    Unfortunately learning another language is a task that requires extreme dedication, and daily practice. Your best bet would be to move to Japan to live there for some time, but something tells me that isn't an option [​IMG] . If I were you I'd get Rosetta Stone like p1ngpong suggested, and do daily drills. Best of luck!

7. fateastray

Member fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I have a japanese for beginners Book. You can buy those at almost any bookstore. It explains grammar and pronounciation and to make it easy to learn kanji, all translations are in furigana. Then there's this book on stroke order when writing words etc. But that's kinda expert-like.

8. Morgawr
    OP

Italy
    One thing I've always wondered is... does the stroke order really matter THAT much?

Seriously, how can you recognize the order a character (hiragana or katakana, not kanji since it's more complex) has been written in? I mean, I know Japanese people are kind of nazi perfectionists in this kind of things (as in schools of drawing kanji and stuff lol) but... how would it refer to an average person who speaks/writes/reads Japanese? Do they all get crazy berserk rage mode if I don't draw kanas in the right order? This I've never been able to understand.. :\

9. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    watch lots of anime

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    i speak japanese fluently from this method desu

11. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Learning a language is gonna be hard no matter what. You're gonna find it a lot harder without the help of someone more experienced in Japanese (preferably native speaker). Reading Hirigana and Katakana it isn't that hard to learn. Just write all the characters in the usual order. (a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko...etc) write them out 3 times out before work/bed/class/whatever each day without peeking to see what they are. Any charcters you got wrong or missed out just write them out 10 times while saying the sound of characters. Repeat this every week day or every second day or something. This should work depends on what kind of learner you are. If you haven't got the time to get lessons or go to a Japanese class you could always try doing it my via a correspondence course. They send you lesson plans/audio cds etc via the mail each week. But as soon as you get accustomed to reading Hirigana/Katakana and try reading Japanese text you're gonna find out it's heavily dominated by Kanji which is a lot more difficult. I suggest getting some form of lessons or books to learn from otherwise you are going to find it extremely hard to learn any Japanese. がんばって がんばって

12. Morgawr
    OP

Italy
    Arigatou [​IMG] (still gotta install the program to write in Japanese... XP)
    That kana trick to learn all Hiragana and Katakana is very nice, I think I'll give it a go... thanks [​IMG]

13. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Here is a nice game too
    Knuckles in China Land [​IMG]
    http://www.tbns.net/knuckles/

14. Morgawr
    OP

Italy
    I'd love that if only my Linux machine could run it... T_T Though I don't have a windows PC at hand [​IMG]

15. GamerzInc

Member GamerzInc GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Stroke order matters alot. This is my 4th year with Japanese. The first three years, my teacher didn't seem to care for the order, but my new one does. Apparently, whether or not if you can go in the correct order will show how smart you are and how much schooling you've had. It's also important to them traditionally. I don't see why though...if it's completely eligible it should be fine.

Teachers would be the best, a.k.a. a native speaker. But if you can't find one, The Rosetta Stone is your best bet.

16. Wii-Nis

Newcomer Wii-Nis Advanced Member

United States
    best way to learn japanese is to do what i did, 1. watch alot of japanese television, listen to and sing along with japanese music, 3. and most important, move to japan for 1 year, alone. you will learn fluency if you are willing to sacrifice.

17. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The only reason I would learn Japanese is for the games.

But im an American so ya know I stick to the basics

18. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I think order is important in japanese writing. Also it helps to remember so you can write kanji/hiragana/whatever right off the bat.