Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
**Update news**
Joycon analogs work fine in Mupen
Just goto the settings menu- Under profile dropdown select controller
Select +new in the left hand corner(to add a configuration), and just click each of the N64 buttons and enter the button you want to correspond to each, including dpad and analog stick. It will read the joycon analog sticks fine, plus you can use the right stick as dpad directions if you so choose. No problems.

Last edited by Basketto,
Reactions: LeyendaV

HappehLemons

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
**Update news**
Joycon analogs work fine in Mupen
Just goto the settings menu- Under profile dropdown select controller
Select +new in the left hand corner(to add a configuration), and just click each of the N64 buttons and enter the button you want to correspond to each, including dpad and analog stick. It will read the joycon analog sticks fine, plus you can use the right stick as dpad directions if you so choose. No problems.

So I went ahead and went thru the process of setting up android to try this out and I gotta say, anyone looking to play N64 should just use HOS, or Lakka if they really are playing a game that's lagging to much like 007 or Conkers.

While this does run Goldeneye 007 Better then on HOS with Max Performance there's too many drawbacks to make this viable.

(Overall issues)

1) If you want full FPS with no stutter, you need the Max Performance battery profile, anything less "works" but you're getting the same experience as playing the games on HOS at that point.

2) This isn't safe, as it requires a really harsh overclock, as it clocks your GPU to 900+ Mhz. At the very least, this will kill your batter quick. Deff don't do this if you're not docked in an Nintendo dock at the very least.

2) The Android boot process is long, so if you're switching back and forth it's not really ideal.

(Joycon issues)

1) Joycon analog sticks are recognized as 8 way d-pads still. They are not true analog. Obviously you can get around this by using another controller, but for those of us who use portable mode, N64 isn't an option because of this.

2) Every time you boot up android you have to re-pair the Joycons as bluetooth devices

3) Because the Joycons are Bluetooth, there's going to be more latency versus having them directly connect. This is negligible for the most part, but still is a drawback.

Overall, switchroot, at least for N64 isn't a good option right now unless you only plan to play docked, and don't care about max overclocking your system and don't use joycons.

psbernitz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello there are three DRAM options in the mupen core. How should I set them in order to gain maximum performance?

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I went ahead and went thru the process of setting up android to try this out and I gotta say, anyone looking to play N64 should just use HOS, or Lakka if they really are playing a game that's lagging to much like 007 or Conkers.

While this does run Goldeneye 007 Better then on HOS with Max Performance there's too many drawbacks to make this viable.

(Overall issues)

1) If you want full FPS with no stutter, you need the Max Performance battery profile, anything less "works" but you're getting the same experience as playing the games on HOS at that point.

2) This isn't safe, as it requires a really harsh overclock, as it clocks your GPU to 900+ Mhz. At the very least, this will kill your batter quick. Deff don't do this if you're not docked in an Nintendo dock at the very least.

2) The Android boot process is long, so if you're switching back and forth it's not really ideal.

(Joycon issues)

1) Joycon analog sticks are recognized as 8 way d-pads still. They are not true analog. Obviously you can get around this by using another controller, but for those of us who use portable mode, N64 isn't an option because of this.

2) Every time you boot up android you have to re-pair the Joycons as bluetooth devices

3) Because the Joycons are Bluetooth, there's going to be more latency versus having them directly connect. This is negligible for the most part, but still is a drawback.

Overall, switchroot, at least for N64 isn't a good option right now unless you only plan to play docked, and don't care about max overclocking your system and don't use joycons.

im clearly getting different results than you :P.
Also the performance options generally dont make that large a difference(unless very accurate emulation plugin).
Your base setup is obviously different or possibly your sd card? But even max performance overclock for android is safe....
The settings are only used if required, as in your switch wont force the GPU to that degree unless its required. PS my switch get much warmer running horizon/lakka if thats any indication.
Android is a battery killer though, but those problems your having are just you... learn to change the settings or get a better sd card, but don’t blame android rofl.

The analog sticks work the same as every other retro game on an axis, its the same for every other version of Mupen emulator.
If your trying to imitate the n64 CPAD/DPAD though, obviously only directional keys work... because diagonal presses work fine for me(when replicating n64 anolog).

**BTW the accurate performance profile base is a MUCH MORE accurate/updated core than both those in lakka and retroarch, some degree of overclocking you will need on a game like goldeneye, try changing the plugin to medium/fast. Their are 16 options to choose from....
Telling people n64 android is worse than horizon n lakka is bullshit though lol. Lakka(on a few games) gets better result on raw power, but most run fine, it is definately better than horizon though for speed... so idk what youre on their.
Telling people android is bad for n64 emulation because you tested 1 game to run on a setting meant for higher end androids and had to overclock... is just silly .
Their are existing youtube videos of conkers on switch base android clocks 1gz cpu 468gpu(less than horizon base) getting between 26-30fps the entire time. All your posting is pure misinformation at your inability to get 1 game running at full speed .
The fact youve mentioned joycon wireless bluetooth delay(as an issue) pretty much sums up your ranting, people use wireless controllers now, and most non dyslexic/proffessional gamers dont notice a 0.00001 second delay :P.

Last edited by Basketto,

HappehLemons

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im clearly getting different results than you :P.
Also the performance options generally dont make that large a difference(unless very accurate emulation plugin).
Your base setup is obviously different or possibly your sd card? But even max performance overclock for android is safe....
The settings are only used if required, as in your switch wont force the GPU to that degree unless its required. PS my switch get much warmer running horizon/lakka if thats any indication.
Android is a battery killer though, but those problems your having are just you... learn to change the settings or get a better sd card, but don’t blame android rofl.

The analog sticks work the same as every other retro game on an axis, its the same for every other version of Mupen emulator.
If your trying to imitate the n64 CPAD/DPAD though, obviously only directional keys work... because diagonal presses work fine for me(when replicating n64 anolog).

**BTW the accurate performance profile base is a MUCH MORE accurate/updated core than both those in lakka and retroarch, some degree of overclocking you will need on a game like goldeneye, try changing the plugin to medium/fast. Their are 16 options to choose from....
Telling people n64 android is worse than horizon n lakka is bullshit though lol. Lakka(on a few games) gets better result on raw power, but most run fine, it is definately better than horizon though for speed... so idk what youre on their.
Telling people android is bad for n64 emulation because you tested 1 game to run on a setting meant for higher end androids and had to overclock... is just silly .
Their are existing youtube videos of conkers on switch base android clocks 1gz cpu 468gpu(less than horizon base) getting between 26-30fps the entire time. All your posting is pure misinformation at your inability to get 1 game running at full speed .
The fact youve mentioned joycon wireless bluetooth delay(as an issue) pretty much sums up your ranting, people use wireless controllers now, and most non dyslexic/proffessional gamers dont notice a 0.00001 second delay :P.

Would love to see the same results you're seeing. Can you post a video of the game running with you settings. I'm using a U1 SD card and even installed the joycon fix. Still reports them as an 8-way dpad versus analog and I've seen other reports of this and my Mupen FZ performance isn't great.

Whats the youtube videos you're talking about? I have not seen any with switchroot + 007, which is the game I'd like to play and having issues with.

Last edited by HappehLemons,

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello there are three DRAM options in the mupen core. How should I set them in order to gain maximum performance?
It's a test and try thing, in fact. Depending on the game you are playin, different options would work better. Play with them a little, you can enable the FPS count for more accurate details.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Would love to see the same results you're seeing. Can you post a video of the game running with you settings. I'm using a U1 SD card and even installed the joycon fix. Still reports them as an 8-way dpad versus analog and I've seen other reports of this and my Mupen FZ performance isn't great.

Whats the youtube videos you're talking about? I have not seen any with switchroot + 007, which is the game I'd like to play and having issues with.

Im using a sandisk ultra 200 U1 for android. Also went the nano(i think) version of gapps less than stock for less bloating.
I really prefer not to upload to youtube as I literally never done/have, and i dont mind the content here, but prefer it not on youtube :P.
So will tweak 007 and let you know the best & exact results i get including my mupen settings, my fps using absolutely zero overclock.
IF you still can’t get anywhere near what I am :P then I promise I will create a youtube acc just for this , and multitask making another phone video while attempting 007 .

Last edited by Basketto,

HappehLemons

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im using a sandisk ultra 200 U1 for android. Also went the nano(i think) version of gapps less than stock for less bloating.
I really prefer not to upload to youtube as I literally never done/have, and i dont mind the content here, but prefer it not on youtube :P.
So will tweak 007 and let you know the best & exact results i get including my mupen settings, my fps using absolutely zero overclock.
IF you still can’t get anywhere near what I am :P then I promise I will create a youtube acc just for this , and multitask making another phone video while attempting 007 .

Yup. same setup here. Sandisk Ultra 128gb, U1. I went with Nano as well as the guide called for. Been messing with it today and still not having any success - if you haven't played 007 much, the issues start when your are following the truck on the first level about 2 mins in and have to open the gate for it. That's where you really see the slowdown and lag.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yup. same setup here. Sandisk Ultra 128gb, U1. I went with Nano as well as the guide called for. Been messing with it today and still not having any success - if you haven't played 007 much, the issues start when your are following the truck on the first level about 2 mins in and have to open the gate for it. That's where you really see the slowdown and lag.

Ok Base Clockspeed!!
My results — Ive found using plugin
Gln64 accurate
Gliden64 fast/medium to get the best results on balanced(normal) battery

fps is mainly 30-40 fps
Absolute lowest right after tunnel hit 15fps for me highest 44fps.
I tested the opening area and through the tunnel killed all then ended :P. Tested a few times

with GlideN64 fast/medium profile feels mostly fullspeed but you do get a very slight lag turning sharply in some areas(idk if this was in the original game)
Gln64 plugin Accurate seems to run fullspeed to me, i dont notice stutter lag either, even when the fps changes.
Anyway see how you go with those plugins? See if your fps is on par? Good luck .

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a test and try thing, in fact. Depending on the game you are playin, different options would work better. Play with them a little, you can enable the FPS count for more accurate details.

This is why i dont understand why there isnt a community compatibility list that states the optimal settings per game. I dont want to sit for 10-15 minutes tweaking a dozen settings and resetting retroarch half a dozen times to see what will make the game not run like ass.

There should be a big shared document with the agreed best performance settings.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
This is why i dont understand why there isnt a community compatibility list that states the optimal settings per game. I dont want to sit for 10-15 minutes tweaking a dozen settings and resetting retroarch half a dozen times to see what will make the game not run like ass.

There should be a big shared document with the agreed best performance settings.
Cause it deppends if you are using RA or Lakka and which version, what core and which version and what game. You will also have a different experience if you have the BIOS and if they are patched or not. On top of all this, you have to come up with the tweaks and settings for each single case.
It's not an easy task to build a compatibility list.

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is a good thread to necro. Anyone can describe today's best way to play?

N64 Online vs Retroarch vs Lakka

Question
Let's try to ignore N64 Online issues...
(not loading some textures = very bad // less fog = works for me)

Considering only performance and input lag. How is comparison for list below?
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tooie
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- Jet Force Gemini
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- Paper Mario
- Yoshi's Story

Additionally (and only if the emulation was flawless) would find interest: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart, Diddy's Kong Racing.

What works for you and what have you tested and does not?

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is a good thread to necro. Anyone can describe today's best way to play?

N64 Online vs Retroarch vs Lakka

Question
Let's try to ignore N64 Online issues...
(not loading some textures = very bad // less fog = works for me)

Considering only performance and input lag. How is comparison for list below?
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tooie
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- Jet Force Gemini
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- Paper Mario
- Yoshi's Story

Additionally (and only if the emulation was flawless) would find interest: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart, Diddy's Kong Racing.

What works for you and what have you tested and does not?

Mupenfz in Android. Their isnt much competition really. I’ve tried HOS with the settings below & its like watching a slomotion video.
Youtube gaming revived, download a texture pack for conkurs or dk64 they are are 500mb, and set the internal resolution to 4x original with screen resolution to native(highest quality). Gliden64 as the plugin you need to edit.
Retroarch in android & ubuntu are not bad either, but mupenfz gets the best performance ratio.
Honestly though if you wan’t to know what runs best, test & form your own opinions, its not hard.
On android none of those games has any problems or input lag at all.

Reactions: spkatsi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16