Best way to downgrade n3ds on 9.9?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mumphus, Feb 23, 2016.

1. mumphus
    OP

mumphus Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    Canada
    So yesterday I finally got browserhax to work with the help of a guy from GBAtemp. So he was telling me to use sysUpdater go to 10.3 then to 9.2 and also have wifi turned off. So I got the right update file and sysUpdater(used the version from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/). Kept trying buy sysUpdater would freeze before i could update or downgrade. So we formatted the SD card and did the whole process again but same problem. Next I downloaded sysUpdater(0.4.2) and FINALLY it got to where I could Update/Downgrade and I tried updating to 10.3 a couple times... kept saying "Failed to get CIA file info" so I tried 9.2 downgrade and I kept getting same message. So I did a bit of reading and found 3 different fixes for people: Delete hidden files(Mac only so wasnt my problem), Use a different Updater/Dowgrader, and people said its because (0.4.2) does not come with memchunkhax v2.

So now my 2 questions are:

1. I read about memchunkhax v2 being unstable so if this error is happening because I do not have memchunkhax v2 what should I do?

2. If the problem is the tool, then what other tool should I use? I heard people saying some tools are dangerous.
    Thanks for help

2. MrMandraque

MrMandraque GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    France
    Hello,
    The best way is downgrade with your nand backup 9.2 or less.
    the least worst solution is make a nand backup, update to 10.3, make another nand backup and use safe system updater with downgrade check.
    Don't forget: certain file are installed in a specific order, they rely on other systems files, so [...]sysudater install by alphabetic order.
    So we have no informations and no proof about this, i just think it.

About memchunkhax2, try this:
    push power button 20 seconds (REALLY 20 SECONDS, "one missisippi; two mississippi...) and launch RXtools in pasta mode (sysnand) install and launch safesysupdater.
    in the hope that this will help you

3. mumphus
    OP

mumphus Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    Canada
    i dont have RXtools. Also I was just reading the sysUpdater gitHub and it says this: "NOTE: The 3dsx version requires extra permissions *hax alone can't provide. If possible use the CIA build.". Could this be the problem as I am running through menuhax and have a n3dsxl

4. MrMandraque

MrMandraque GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    France
    RXtools allow this permissions.
    On O3ds I try many time update 4.5 to 9.2 with *hax... always failled, with RX tools 1st time, success!
    But make backup of your NAND every steps.
    Do you speak french?

5. d12unk13astard

d12unk13astard GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Check your pm, might have something to do with downloading the ropbin file on smealums github http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ and placing it on root of SD card.

Last edited by d12unk13astard, Feb 23, 2016