Best way to determine game language

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Volkov, Mar 13, 2008.

Mar 13, 2008
  1. Volkov
    OP

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It's easy using programs to tell what region an ISO is. But all my game dumps are PAL, because I live in australia. I am in the process of making a big database of all the game's and relative info on the discs for a new website I am starting for personal use, but hopefully it will have user's submitting data.

So far for all my iso's I have the following data:

Game name
    Game Code
    Country Code
    Maker Code
    Game Version
    MD5

What is the best way to tell if a game is just PAL-E, or PAL-M3, PAL-M5, etc....?

sometimes PAL-E games that I know are just English have some random files on the disc in another language but the game itself only has English.
    i was wondering if there was a place on the disc this is usually stored, as I would like to have listed on the database if a game is Multi, as AUS, EUR, UKV games differ sometimes...

what do you think?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  3. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Problem is, this dat isn't really reliable for the languages included. Especially for the US releases. Most of the entries show english only, but a lot of them have french and spanish included.

4. Volkov
    OP

Australia
    that, and it doesnt even match the list here at gba...

ive dumped the bee movie game PAL, and i dont see it even here. has the scene missed it?

5. Volkov
    OP

Australia
    another question.

If a game loads on the wii and only is in enlgish and has no other languages to chose, but there are files and folders on the disc for more than enlgish, should the game be listed as PAL-M3/5 or whatever, or PAL-E?

scene release for zelda pal says it's an M5, and mine is only English (live in Australia so could be PAL-E?)

also scene release for wii sports pal is M5 also, mine is only English, and on the disc is multiple languages. If it something that is determined by what language you have the console set to then that would be a major pain to work out what languages are on a disc.

Any ideas? This is the last thing I need to know while making my database as accurate as possible...

6. HyoImowano

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would assume the reason you're only getting english on these M5 releases, is that you have your console set to english, the game probably reads that and sets itself to match your console.

7. Volkov
    OP

Australia
    so the question what the best way to work out what languages are in a game if you can't chose them "in-game"

the wii system settings have 6 languages, but about half the games are m5 and half are m6. I guess I can do a few tests on known M5 and M6 games while looking at files on the disc and changing system language. but I chose Netherlands and booted wii sports and the game was in English, but that game is M5, and could be Netherlands was the one that wasn't supported.

I guess though that even on the dat files the languages are all messed up. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of it and use my website for all the info once I've made the database [​IMG]

8. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Dutch is usually the not included language in a M5 game.