Hardware Best way to compress backups on a hard drive?

azorpatch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
azormx.elbruto.es
XP
Country
Mexico
I've been using my HDD for booting games for a long time now, it's the only way because my disc drive died a bit after my warranty expired. Anyway, before I used to use the wbfs format for my backups and I was satisfied for the most part, that is until IT happened. Because my HDD is partitiones I insert it into all sort of OSs, none of which recognized the wbfs but they didn't erase it either. After some time I realized my backups became damaged, maybe because of all the thrash OSs add to partition (I'm looking at you OSX =( ) and became unplayable. Now that CFG usbloader can load from a NTFS partition I restored most of my backups and placed them on my NTFS partition.

tl;dr
Using isos in NTFS takes way too much space as opposed to wbfs's compression, how can I reduce the size of my dis images to save some space on my hdd?

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azorpatch said:
To there's no real way of compressing without changing format?
No, there is on way to compress .ISO files without changing them into another file.

Like XFlak said, use WiiBackupManager to convert the files into .WBFS files to compress them.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
RoboticBuddy said:
azorpatch said:
No, there is on way to compress .ISO files without changing them into another file.

Like XFlak said, use WiiBackupManager to convert the files into .WBFS files to compress them.
Uhh...Sparse-File?

Though, I would also recommend to convert to .wbfs, and also remove the Update-Partition if possible.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
RoboticBuddy said:
azorpatch said:

Uhh...Sparse-File?

Though, I would also recommend to convert to .wbfs, and also remove the Update-Partition if possible.

No. The sparse files function isn't designed for that.

OP: The -only- way to compress without changing format is NTFS' compression option. I'm not sure how well that's supported with the Wii's current implementations of NTFS; I wouldn't be inclined to trust it. Otherwise, you are either stuck changing format (to WBFS-as-file or Wiim's WIA) or going for 7z/rar/etc. Wiim's will be best once some of the loaders support it. In the meantime, do WBFS files on FAT (for max compatibility across platforms) or NTFS. It sounds like you were doing a WBFS partition before, which is pretty outdated.

smartybones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thesund0g said:
It's WBFS-as-partition that's iffy at best.

i used the wbfs partition for a long time and never had a single issue with it..

recently I have converted to fat32 and use wbfs files and as a solution as a whole is perfect..

I only have a 200GB drive avalable for my wii so have to swap games on and off the drive as needed. I use the above mentioned wiibackup manager to copy the games to and from my hard drive to a folder on my server. I save teh games on my server as wbfs files as this offers the best compression, and I can also convert it back to an ISO if i need to burn it to a disk (cant see why i would)

Marty

Ato Puro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Loading games as .wbfs files in FAT32 is much more different (stable) than loading .wbfs files in a NTFS partition? I know ripping games to NTFS is unstable but is the other way true, as well? I got a 1.5TB HDD and a FAT32 partition is a pain, because using NTFS I can simply have the usb-loader and wbfs folders there and have other stuff, withouth worrying about the 4GB file size limitation.

Reactions: locomia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like how Amazon just has one long Add to cart button now just in case I forget where it is