Best way to charge your DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by fs100, Feb 13, 2007.

Feb 13, 2007

Best way to charge your DS by fs100 at 4:22 PM (1,936 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. fs100
    OP

Newcomer fs100 Newbie

Philippines
    I was wondering what's the best way to charge your DS to prolong the life of the battery. Do you charge immediately when the light turns red or wait until it turns off by itself before charging? When charging do you always wait until there is a full charge or just charge it an hour or so and start using it again. I would like to hear what you guys do. Thanks.

2. SeanoRLY?

Member SeanoRLY? GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    When its red I usually run it down. Its better for the battery. After its run down, charge it fully.

Battery life can go down if you charge it on and off again.

3. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    I just charge it whenever I want, I usually don't wait for the red light.. I have my ds for almost a year now and the battery is just fine.

4. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I just wait for the red light to come on. Recharging the DS fully and not playing it when recharging should make the battery last longer. In saying that though a new battery from ebay costs next to nothing.

5. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    I don't play my DS outside, so I always play with the power plugged in.

6. Sevael

Member Sevael GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    There are a lot of battery myths out there, however the newer Lithium-Ion batteries (of which the DS and DS Lite use) aren't really affected by inconsistent charging. Not needing to fully drain the battery before charging is one of Li-Ion's best features. In fact, if anything, it is recommended that you charge it more often, not less.

I use my DS Lite every single day and my recharge routines are about as inconsistent as it gets. I never specifically wait for the red light before charging, and I often play while it is recharging. The battery is still going like it's brand new. I still get the full life out of it and it still charges in the same amount of time as it always did, whether it's in use or turned off. There has been no reduction in the battery's effectiveness whatsoever. I tend to charge my DS 4-5 times a week (yes, I use it that much) and I've had it for quite a while. I got it in Japan when the Lites first came out, and it's still going strong.

Don't worry about waiting for that red light. Only NiCd batteries suffer from the "memory effect".

7. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I think that the new Li-Ion or Li-Ni batteries don't have "charging memory", you can charge whenever you want.
    Nintendo advices to charge when the led is red not to lose your current game, that is all, I read somewhere that it is actually better to keep it charged

8. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    li-ion isn't supposed to be run down until it is dead. As sevael says, it is supposed to be charged more often - well before the appliance cuts out.

9. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    Yup, charge often. You never know when you gonna need it [​IMG]

That being said, I wish sometimes that there's an intermediate LED color for 1/2 charged battery. Like Green-> Fully charged, Orange -> 1/2 charged and Red -> less than 1/4 charged

10. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    "A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

quoted from site below, more info there
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

11. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    I charge once per day, and both of my DSes are red by then. (play DS phat at school. DSL at home)
    No change in battery life, so go berserk!

12. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Has anyone used the Dragon brand USB charger and had it get stuck in the console?

13. id242

Member id242 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    isn't the cost for a new DS battery, about $5 or less @ many places in the USA & Europe.

I say, have fun with your new gadget. If to stops performing like how it did in the past, pick up a new battery on your way home from work/school/mistress...

14. gr33dy

Member gr33dy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Despite the fact that I'm sure it makes no difference, I generally charge it after the light has turned red.

100% Charge > Play Till Red > 100% Re-Charge > Play Till Red

15. deathspawn99

Newcomer deathspawn99 Member

i charge it when im not using it. never know when a mystery long car ride (or mystery long waiting around doing nothing) is going to be and someone will want to play it.

16. falco123

Member falco123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol have fun with your tiny tiny paperweight while we still have long lasting batteries..=)

17. M3LV1N

Member M3LV1N GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    My brother does this with his cell phone. I never understood why he did it. Maybe I'll start doing that.

18. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    yeah do it if ur cell phone has Li-Ion batter, no NiCd.
    most old and cheap phones are NiCd, so beware.