Best usenet provider and why

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by KidIce, Nov 12, 2012.

Nov 12, 2012

Best usenet provider and why by KidIce at 4:55 AM (1,911 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. KidIce
    OP

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    I moved, and it made sense for various reasons to also switch ISP's. My old ISP used to provide usenet service, which they farmed out to Supernews. I had all the advantages of a Supernews account provided for free courtesy of my ISP... I don't anymore.

Supernews was good to me, reliable, great retention, fast, etc; I'm inclined to sign right up and continue to use them as my usenet provider.

Anyone have anyone better? Anyone have horror stories? Kudos? Anything?

Convince me to stay w/ them or convince me to go w/ someone else, please.

2. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

I've had Astraweb for a while now. I've been on their Unlimited 10Mbps plan since I signed up, $20 every 3 months. Retention is great, never had any sort of downtime, all that good stuff. I have my downloaders set up on my server so everything downloads in the background on another computer, and I'm typically not too concerned with having stuff right this second. 10Mbps = ~1.3MBps, which is what it always caps at when I download. It's been a while since I've looked, haven't been downloading much at all lately, but a 720p bluray rip only takes roughly 20 mins to download on that (which I am more than okay with, beats the HELL out of downloading 40 *.r01, *.r02... *.rar files off of a web share, and the security risks of torrenting). I'd have a hard time finding a reliable service this cheap, disregarding the speed cap.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For the most part it still seems to be between block and monthly. Trouble is the US Dollar is pretty weak and has been for a while so I don't care so much about springing for giganews monthly (it is about in line with rental services and well).
    Were I to change it would probably be to astraweb as they are more or less as good as giganews (speeds faster than my connection can handle, unlimited options and now a 1000gb for $50 and retention still way north of 1000 days and what 11 days less than giganews) but frankly my ISP farms out to a lesser giganews and I do not have much experience of different providers.....

That said 1000gb is mighty tempting right now.

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I used usenetserver for two years. It was not expansive and good enough speed for me (they are often critisized over their speed, but I only have 1024kb/s).
    Though, the more they increased their retentions, the less the articles were complete :(

I switched to Giganews.
    They had all the file I missed on usenetserver for the same retention time. the speed is said to be good (I can't really judge myself), but they have different monthly fee based on the amount of bandwith. the month is renewed anytime if you spent more than your subscription, there's no shortage period.
    Lately, I find they are still suffering missing binaries articles (often one block per articles, par2 are sometime not enough to fix the files) on not that old files (I tried 500 days old files, and even 2-3 days old are sometime fully missing now, while it never happened months ago).

Edit: Ginanews has nothing to do with that. that specific files are missing on all server's providers.

I don't know Astraweb policy, but I heard they are as good as giganews.

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    For the Netherlands: http://www.sunnyusenet.com/

Been using this for over a year now, very good service/ speed. Very cheap.
    You can even try 7 days for free.
    All on prepaid basis, so no contracts/ strings attached.

6. KidIce
    OP

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Thanks for the input. Astraweb doesn't look too bad ~$7 a month is pretty compelling, but it's speed capped... For ~$2 more I can get unlimited from Supernews... But then my bandwidth is only 12 Mbps right now, but I'll be switching to 20 Mbps once my promotional pricing runs out. Hmmm... Needs some more thought, thanks again though, guys.

Edit: Just found this: http://www.usenetsecrets.com/2012/10/astraweb-automated-dmca-takedowns/

Think I may stick w/ Supernews.