• Thread starter KingpinSlim
  • Start date
  • Views 2,846
  • Replies 8
K

KingpinSlim

OP
I was wondering which HDD to get.

Im leaning towards a 2.5 inch form factor, since those dont need any additional power supply, and when i decide to take out the DVD-Drive, i can mount it internally.

But is there something im missing? Is Speed perhaps something i should be looking out for?
are 5400 rotations per minute enough to play without hiccups or should i go for 7200 instead?

are there any great differences in speed between different models? and are any of them more advisable than others?

Im leaning towards the "My Passport Essential 320gb" by Western Digital.
This Drive comes with USB 3.0 but should be downward compatible to the USB 2.0 specifications.
Are there any known issues with USB 3.0 Hard-drives in conjunction with any USBLoaders?

Well... since this Post might be getting a bit hefty now, im gonna stop with the questions.

Any Advice/Help/Criticism is needed and wanted.

Thank you in Advance!

K

KingpinSlim

OP
So, after removing the VCD with the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool", a simple format to NTFS with a 512 byte allocation size unit should work out splendidly, shouldn't it?

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I refer to the sector size of the HDD not cluster size.
Format the HDD to FAT32 with 32KB of cluster, that will give you maximum compatibility.

K

KingpinSlim

OP
Fat32 wont do me any good because of the file-size limit fat32 has.
So this is not an option for me.
Im gonna go with NTFS, since all the Loaders support this now anyway.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fat32 wont do me any good because of the file-size limit fat32 has.
So this is not an option for me.
Im gonna go with NTFS, since all the Loaders support this now anyway.
Any reason the file size limit is a problem? WBFS files can be split into 2 or 4 GB parts, so if you're only using the HDD for the Wii, FAT should not be an issue.
Both USB Loader GX and CFG Loader support NTFS, I'm not sure about WiiFlow. If you need to put large files on the HDD for whatever reason, you could have 2 partitions, one FAT for homebrew related files, and one NTFS for large files. The WBFS files could be on either of those partitions.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Or you could split the other large files too if its only for storage or transport
eg use some compression programm, turn off the compression, turn on the split archive
or simply use the programs "split" and "cat", anything not windows should come with them by default

Popular programs that will only work on FAT are the Gamecube loaders and HBC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte