Best things to buy if I'm thinking of getting a PSP?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by mrcha0s, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
    it just seems like everywhere I look there is different information and a lot of it might be outdated. One of the guides that is linked to on here is last updated on 4/20/2008 so I'm curious as to what has changed since then. I'm not too worried about prices since I'll already be spending a lot but if I want to get the best setup with CFW what should I look for? And what's the best psp cfw site around? Is there a gbatemp equivalent to the psp since gbatemp obviously caters more towards the DS and Wii?

Edit: Would this be the best thing to do? http://pspslimhacks.com/forum/psp-tutorial...ustom-firmware/

And is there any way to know if a PSP is at the right firmware before buying it?

2. Dark_linis

Member Dark_linis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Im going to go with saying you'll be happy to buy a decent sized memory stick. Even if you arn't going the CFW(custom firmware) route, having a good amount of leg room is always nice.

I could be wrong but I think if you should be more worried about your psp's motherboard than the firmware. Newer PSP's have been known to be un hackable. I think that's changing right now so you might want to wait a bit and see, especially if you want a newer model. Phats and early Slims are hackable though so if you want, go with one of those.

3. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
    Yeah I'm not sure which PSP to go with, I'd like to go with the 3000 if the one they currently sell in stores is hackable but if it's not then I might go looking for one of the older models.

4. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Be careful when you buy a 2000 PSP -- The very last motherboards are also un-Pandora-able... Known as TA88v3...

If you want to flash CFW -- better get an early to mid model 2000...

5. Finishoff

Member Finishoff GBAtemp Fan

United States
    PSP 1001 (Launch PSP), PSP 2000 (Slim) depends on the board, might be a bit more complicated and the new PSP 3000 can now all be hacked.

6. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
    Are ALL of the 3000 hackable the same way or are some now sold with an update firmware? I just want to make sure that the PSP I buy is capable of being hacked. If so then I'll probably go with the PSP 3000 if it's capable of all of the same things as previous models.

Edit: Sorry for all of these questions...but what exactly is the difference between running CFW and installing it? According to this http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=131068 (don't know if it's outdated or not) you cannot install it on the 3000.

7. Dark_linis

Member Dark_linis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hacking of the 3000 has been making breakthroughs recently so if you want you could just by a 300 and test your luck.

I could be wrong but I think running CFW is when your system isnt flashed and you need to fave the files in your MS or something like that. Installing it means its within the system itself and would launch when you boot the system (as opposed to runnning it manually)

8. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Things to buy: I got a clear Hori PSP plastic cover -- protects the screen and console and can be used to stand up the PSP (vertical) when watching videos... handy...

9. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    OK il help clear some things up yes all mother boards and psp's are hackable but only using a certain method if you have a "unhackable" psp or motherboard then you have to use ChickHEN R2 but if you want the full functionality of CFW then download CFWEnabler v3.50 for ChickHEN R2 this adds ISO (backed up psp game) support as well as all the features you would find in CFW to your so called "unhackable" psp or motherboard

p.s i use www.psp-hacks.com for all my psp hacking needs it is updated regularly with all new hacks, exploits and homebrew. if you have anymore questions just ask [​IMG]

@Dark_linis: when you FLASH your psp you rewrite the psp firmware to a custom one the most popular being dark_alex's M33 CFW, the ChicKEN and CFWE for ChicKEN run of the Memory stick i think and are not installed i will check

p.s.s i would recommend a high capacity mem card as a essential as psp ISOs usually are about 1.5GB in size for a good game hence a 4GB mem card could only hold 2 games [​IMG]

10. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    just checked, yeah on the so called "unhackable" equipment you cannot install the CFW but you can run it YAY so i would go for the 3000 as it has better quality equipment and a built in mic for skype calls [​IMG]

11. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
  12. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    blast processing guide is what I used. it's great

if you're looking for a neat accessory to buy for your PSP, get a locationfree player [​IMG]

I love mine, and they can be had dirt cheap on ebay

13. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
  14. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    The bottom guide is ok.

You MUST be on firmware 5.03 for this to work. Any older, upgrade. Any newer, you're out of luck for now.

Be prepared for having to retry the chickhen hack time upon time. I've heard everything from 1-50+ tries to get it to work,

15. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
    I am still waiting for my memory stick pro duo but when only running the CFW instead of installing it how exactly does that work? Do I run it like I would a game and then it takes me to another thing there I just choose the game? Does it stay on there once I do it the first time or would I have to continue doing it over and over?

16. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
    And also, do any PSP games force you to update your firmware? Because I'd rather wait and see if anything new happens with the hacking scene if I can.

17. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Yes, but only on unhacked PSPs. With hacked units you can fake the version number and hope the game runs.

18. mrcha0s
    OP

Newcomer mrcha0s Member

United States
    Well then I'm kind of stuck since I can't install CFW on this one (only run it which according to places is a huge hassle) and since some of the newest firmware is unhackable (correct me if I'm wrong) then I can't really buy games.

19. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

It's going to depend on the game you want. The odds are good at least in the near future that games won't actually need any new features from post-5.03 firmwares, and hence faking the version number is good enough.

20. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    buy a protection kit or something cos the joystig comes of really easy so you will need some spare to replace them