Best Story

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Batman55, Aug 9, 2008.

Aug 9, 2008

Best Story by Batman55 at 11:50 PM (3,259 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. Batman55
    OP

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I want a DS game with a good story (that I can understand, so no Japanese games lol). I think that I've played all the ones with good stories so far, but I'm probably misisng something. For me, I can enjoy a game with poor gameplay if the story is excellent, and alternatively I just stop playing games if their story sucks, no matter how cool and innovative the controls are. I want something mature (not like erotica lol, just not like Magical Starsign or w/e), that makes sense (or has a plot), thats original (not "omg, we have to save the world from the evil witch) and has no stupid characters (it's hard to find all those in 1 DS game)

I have played all the DS FF games (4 is my favourite of all of them). TWEWY, Professor Layton (love that game, but I don't want to play it again), all Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk and both Castlevanias.

What else has an engaging, long story?

EDIT: Also Contact, who can forget that crazy game... very fun lol.

2. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    I think you have already played all the good ones tbh

3. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Man, if you've already played TWEWY, you aren't going to find anything better or likely even comparable. It's got the best story of any DS game, bar none.

4. Naouak

Member Naouak GBAtemp Regular

France
    Another code/Trace memory, touch detective(maybe), Dragon Quest Rocket slime (simplistic), Revenant wings, The settlers (haven't tried it but i remember that the third one on PC has a good story), Advance wars 2...
    well after you can try with GBA games.

5. Private|Par

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    This.

GBA games might be the next place you should turn to. I'd recommend Golden Sun 1 and 2, although you may do well to play other games before them. Once you play them, it's sort of the TWEWY effect for the GBA. Nothing else's story compares.

6. Batman55
    OP

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well thanks guys. I don't have a slot 2 card, so currently GBA games are out of the picture, only currently though as I will get one soon. But that's pretty disappointing for good story games. Hopefully Square gets their upcoming games over here quickly...

Off topic: I wish someone would port Braid to the DS, I'm loving the XBLA version [​IMG]

7. Private|Par

Australia
    Emulation could be a possible route, although I'm sure you've played most of the older games with good stories.

8. matrix121391

Member matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'd have to strongly disagree with you! I don't want to start an argument but upon reading that, I just had to say, PHOENIX WRIGHT FTW!!! I've beaten TWEWY and the story doesn't even compare to some of the cases in Phoenix Wright. I admit, the TWEWY plot was twisty and engaging enough for me to play through it and reveal the mystery, despite me losing interest in the gameplay mechanics, but I mean c'mon! The cases in Phoenix Wright were so twisted and bone-chilling, it's simply uncomparable. I've never played a single case (tutorial case as an exception) that hasn't left me breathless or stunned.

But back to the main topic, as someone has already said, you've played all the good ones... so far.

Edit: I remember reading about a game about a town with people who can't seem to cry. It's much like Hotel Dusk. There's also this other game about portals where you change the present by changing the past. Of course, none of these are out yet (maybe in Japan). Just thought they should be some games for you to keep under your radar.

9. Private|Par

Australia
    I disagree about Phoenix Wright. I've played the first case on Ace Attorney, and am playing through the second case. I've also played up to the second case in Justice For All. I agree that some of the stories in PW are good, but not EPIC. They don't affect me emotionally at all, where as TWEWY forced me to re-examine the way I view myself and the people around me.

10. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The World Ends with You. [​IMG]

11. matrix121391

United States
    Awww shucks. So I guess I'm the only one who thinks Phoenix Wright was the best story game ever? [​IMG] *hides under a rock*

12. Uncrackable

Newcomer Uncrackable Member

Portugal
    The World Ends With You has a pretty nice script! Untill now it's one of the best DS games i played!
    You can try Zelda too.. i hadn't the time to play it 100% since i only had a flashcart not so long ago and had my nintendo ds since 2004 getting dust... But normally every Zelda games have good story line!

13. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Yea there are alot of recommended GBA games, DS games don't really get much better then TWEWY do they?

14. FlameTakuya

Member FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Singapore
    No, you're not. Phoenix Wright is one of the best games I've played. EVER.

15. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Play the 4th case in the first Ace attorney. I wouldn't say it was epic, like others would, but I found it extremely well written, and just surprising. One of the games that made me go, WHAT? On the other hand, Justice for all, wasn't as good as the first game. I found it disappointing after the first 3 cases.

16. FlameTakuya

Singapore
    2-3 (Big Berry Circus) is one of the most hated cases. >.>

But yeah, 2-4 (Matt Engarde) case was really whoa. But 3-5 (and 3-1) still take the cake, though.

17. matrix121391

United States
    I have to admit, I stopped at the Circus case and didn't play for a month. By then, I had lost all interest in Phoenix Wright and when I returned to finish it up, I forgot all that had happened. But seeing you guys talk about how epic the cases I haven't done yet were, I'm going to redownload it right now and look up guides to get through that level. Glad to see I'm not the only one that was frustrated by that case!

18. FlameTakuya

Singapore
    Heh, glad we convinced you to start playing again. ^^;

Wait 'till you meet "Final Boss" in the 3rd game. She'll blow your socks off.

19. Private|Par

Australia
    Just finished 1-2 and I have to revise my opinion of Phoenix Wright a bit. The fact is that it's a bit like a good book. You have to get deep into it to enjoy it. I prefer my video-games bite-sized, and Phoenix Wright requires a bit more commitment than that. That being said, I have to say that the story in 1-2 is good. Good enough to keep me playing Phoenix Wright, at least. I'll get back to you guys with more impressions.

20. Naouak

Member Naouak GBAtemp Regular

France
    None of the cases surprised me in PW and all played and beat all of them. Most of the time you can guess the culprit in the second day investigation easily.