Best SNES and GBA emulators for N3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by 03bgood, Oct 7, 2016.

1. 03bgood
    OP

03bgood Banned

Banned
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Paris, Illinois
    Does anyone know what the best emulators are for SNES and GBA games that run almost like Nintendo's official Virtual Console ROMs? I understand that the games that use the SA1 and Super FX chips don't run that well, even on the N3DS but does anyone have emulators that have a very high compatibility and runs the games with a very smooth or almost smooth framerates?

2. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    You can inject snes vc into the N3DS and same with GBA. Both run almost perfectly. It can be any game of your choice.

3. 03bgood
    OP

03bgood Banned

Banned
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Paris, Illinois
    Except I can't run CIA files on 11.0. Is there any way to install custom SNES CIA files on a N3DS with 11.0 or do I need to downgrade? I don't want to lose my custom home menu layouts, so going back to 9.2 would be disastrous for me and besides my O3DS is on 9.2.

Last edited by 03bgood, Oct 7, 2016
  4. 03bgood
    OP

03bgood Banned

Banned
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Paris, Illinois
    This was a double post I edited because the server issues on this site have been really bad for the past couple of days!

Last edited by 03bgood, Oct 7, 2016
  5. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Not downgrading soley for the purpose of keeping your layout seems a bit silly to me.. oh well..

Anyway, there might be a way to use 3dsx versions of the emulators in the homebrew launcher, if you can launch it. However the speeds won't be as fast as it would be launching from CIA (home menu).

6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Just buy fieldrunners on your old 3ds and downgrade the new one. You can always redo your homemenu layout. Fieldrunners could be patched next update meaning you can never downgrade your new 3ds.

7. _catcatcat

_catcatcat Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    There is, with A9LH they can be installed straight on SysNAND, even, and be executable on the home menu. But that would require downgrading to no lower than 9.2 (for n3ds) to install and set up, before updating back to 11.* (using the method @xtheman166 said)

If that's a bit much though, I like both gpSP and CatSFC which both have 3dsx builds.

Last edited by _catcatcat, Oct 7, 2016
  8. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    The above post is the perfect answer, so I'm going to +1 on that. The n3ds can have a9lh installed on 9.2 now, so no dangerous downgrade to 2.1. The only way to get really good speeds on gba and snes is with a kernel exploit, and of course the best is with injecting(that said I would take traditional Emulation for gba since the gba VC is pretty limited in options). Downgrading with the dsiware method is pretty easy from what I understand, and the plailect a9lh Guide has a section dedicated to it. I can promise you won't regret making the jump to a9lh. Nothing is more convenient than instant cfw loading(also it gives you a nice layer of protection if you accidently brick your sysnand. You can restore a nand backup as long as you don't Bork your firm0/1 afaik)

Edit: actually is there any way to inject a new gba/snes rom using HANS? I've never tried, but that would solve his problem rather nicely.

Last edited by zac122, Oct 8, 2016
  9. PaiiNSteven

PaiiNSteven Newbie

mGBA works if you only have the HB Launcher. SNES you have a choice of PocketSNES and CATSFC. PocketSNES is faster with lower compatibility, CatSFC is slower with higher compatibility (but still runs most games like 60fps.)