Best Slot 2 Supplement For R4?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Wyvern King, Apr 9, 2007.

Apr 9, 2007
  1. Wyvern King
    OP

Newcomer Wyvern King Newbie

United States
    Before you ask, I have searched but as you can see it's quite a difficult subject to think of search keywords for.

http://www.winsunx.com/index.php?mod...eing.ware&id=9

I'm going to buy that, which will cover playing movies, MP3s, DS backups and some homebrew.

However, the R4 has little compatibility with NES/SNES/Genesis emulators, and can't play GBA backups either.

What I'd like to know is, what's a good slot 2 card (lite) to supplement that? I'd be using it 99% for playing backups of NES, SNES and Genesis, and a few GBA backups as well (not much though - I never really bought many GBA games and only have a couple).

So, Slot 2 card that runs retro games well and gets regular updates for those emus - and is Lite. Recommendations, please? So far, I think that a Supercard Lite seems to be a good option but I'd like to hear some opinions on M3 slot 2 devices as well, and others too. All help greatly appreciated, thanks

PS - I'd prefer an adapter rather than a flashcard - even better, one that runs off SD rather than Micro SD (but this is secondary to good emulation support)

Also, I posted this on another site too but I wanted to try and get a wider range of opinions (often, one forum will have a collective opinion that its members are pressured into)

2. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
  3. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    And also on the front page of this forum...

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=48024

Thread entitled: "Which slot2?"

Sorry, I know you tried searching... but when the answers are on page 1, it's kinda frustrating. At least we're pointing you in the right direction though =] good luck

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
  5. Wyvern King
    OP

Newcomer Wyvern King Newbie

United States
    [​IMG] Thankyou and sorry, but... I did see most of those threads, it's just that the first one is just some info on using a flashcart for GBA games, the second one is a question on a good GBA cart for GBA games, the third one wants to know about a cart for a micro and the fourth one wants integrated memory. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I want basically the opposite of everything in those posts: Retro emulation instead of GBA, SD driven, DS Lite not GBA Micro... I'm sorry, but those threads were not much help [​IMG]

6. aquariumboy

Newcomer aquariumboy Advanced Member

United States
  7. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    My Biased opinion: M3Lite Perfect. It does everything you need except for SD, its microSD. Since you're looking for a lite option, standard SD is out of the question unless you want a larger adapter.

8. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The R4 has good homebrew support. Whatever it doesnt support its too old/no one cares about it. Nes/snes/genesis isnt the best on slot1 OR slot2. Nesds seems dead, snemulds is still being worked on and getting better on every release, and havent heard anything on pico whatever for genesis. It's dev support that'll make these good, not the slot2 support.

And ill be ordering that EZ5 slot2 soon myself. Seems the cheapest solution.

9. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    I want a white 3-in-one cart or a Supercard Lite!

10. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    Well, it's impossible to run NES emulation on NDS at the moment, but there is SNES emulator:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=47991

There is a compatability list for games http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/SNEmulDS...patibility_List

It runs on R4 fine.

That is the best emulation you are going to get.. I haven't heard of a genesis emulator for NDS.

And if you want a slot2 solution that fits into a DSLite setup, then you will definitely have to go the MicroSD route, because there is no slot2 solution that supports standard SD. If you look at a standard SD, there is basically hardly any room in the slot2 compartment including electronics!

Hope this helps more

11. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    last time i checked nesDS WIP runs fine without saving on slot1. So does Picodrive. It's a genesis emu with no sound.

12. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I was going to say, Picodrive works fine as a genesis emulator (no sound tho)

13. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    From my investigations, the M3 slot 2's are the way to go, but avoid the Pro version. A bit pricey, but it will pay for itself rather quickly. It will be my next purchase.