Best Slot-2 flash card for gba support and 32mb of ram for browser

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by -h4ck3r-, Oct 2, 2008.

1. -h4ck3r-
    OP

Newcomer -h4ck3r- Member

United States
    Hey, I am considering buying a cart for slot-2 with my new supercard ds one slot one cart. What would be the best one for ram expansion pack and gba support. So here is what I want.
    • Compatable with supercad ds one
    • GBA support
    • Ram expansion pack 32 MB
    Thanks for the help,
    Benjamin

2. -h4ck3r-
    OP

Newcomer -h4ck3r- Member

United States
    Also, what is the difference between the SuperCard Lite Slot-2 MicroSD/TF Card Adapter and the SuperCard Lite Slot-2 MicroSD/TF Card Adapter with rumble. I was looking on the DS Linux page, and they said that it had 32 mb of ram with (NOT Rumble) does the rumble one lose functionality of the 32 mb of ram? these were my top choices, and they look like the right thing. Just curious.

3. -h4ck3r-
    OP

Newcomer -h4ck3r- Member

United States
    Sorry about all these questions lol, I think I will just go with the non rumble one, looks like it has all the features I want.

4. Ssseth

Member Ssseth GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You do realize you are talking to yourself, right? [​IMG]

Just poking fun, glad to hear you found your answer.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The Supercard Rumble has no RAM and is thus useless for GBA gaming and for anything else that needs RAM.

If you want GBA support, a slot-2 Supercard would be a bad choice. It'll work fine for many games, but some have slowdowns due to the Supercard's slow RAM. Also, while you can use it with the SCDS to load *.gba games directly from the SCDS menu, you can't save this way so the feature is practically useless. You'd have to use the slot-2 Supercard's own menu for launching GBA games, patching on the PC beforehand.

Another option is the EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack. It only has 16 MB of RAM compared to the Supercard's 32, but you can still play 32 MB GBA games by flashing them to NOR.

The Opera browser will only use 8 MB of RAM no matter how much the device actually has. DSLinux will use as much RAM as you give it.

6. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    There is also the eWin 2-in-1 which has 32MB of volatile RAM (no NOR memory and no rumble).

Like DanTheManMS says, the Opera browser can only access 8MB of RAM regardless of how much your slot2 has, so the only purpose of more RAM would be to load larger GBA games into RAM (as opposed to having to load them to the slower NOR on the EZFlash 3-in-1) or for homebrew that might be able to utilize extra RAM.

I don't know if the SCDS1 has direct support for the eWin from the menu, but if not you can use GBA ExpLoader.

-Bri

7. -h4ck3r-
    OP

Newcomer -h4ck3r- Member

United States
    Yeah, I know I was talking to myself lol. I tend to do it a lot, and by doing it here, I might be helping other people. Anyway, I was planning on getting the 32 mb mainly for Quake 2 ds... what do you guys think, I can still cancel my order or change it [​IMG].

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you're getting it for Quake II, then do NOT get the Supercard. It has the slowest RAM out of all the devices SimonJ tested, which means the slowest gameplay. Quake II won't use more than 16 MB of extra RAM no matter how much you actually have, so do yourself a favor and get the 3in1 expansion pack, which coincidentally has the fastest RAM out of all the devices tested.

9. -h4ck3r-
    OP

Newcomer -h4ck3r- Member

United States
    Ok, thanks a lot for you guys's help.!