best slot-2 device?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by imz, Nov 28, 2007.

Nov 28, 2007

best slot-2 device? by imz at 7:02 PM (3,626 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. imz
    OP

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    I own a G6 real 8G and was wondering what would be the best slot-2 device to be used with it, I've heard a lot about the EZ 3 in 1 and the G6 lite, but wasn't sure which was the best compatible with the G6 real.

2. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    Probably the G6 lite

3. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The G6 Lite is great, but there's only so much you can do with 512MB of storage. Unless you're using it for GBA, then it's perfect. But if you're gonna use it for media like I use my slot-2 (in my Navy NDSL), you might want something more.

4. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    If you're willing to spend to your hart's desire, get an M3Lite Perfect. It uses MicroSDs, and I believe it can use MicroSDHCs. (4GB+)

It can play DS and GBA games, just to let you know.

~Nero

5. palyons

Newcomer palyons Member

United States
    I speak from experience, I have a working M3 Perfect Lite unit and it does not use MicroSDHC, only 2.0gb cards or lower. I also have a 4gb MicroSDHC card, so I can verify that it does not work as expected. Also for some reason, even though the SDHC cards appear the same physical size and shape they are a little different, for some reason I have a difficult time getting the SDHC card to go into the M3 Lite unit, but the 2.0gb or lower cards go in without trouble.

6. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I thought you could only use the microsdhc's for only media on the m3 perfect?

But anyways, I would go with the G6 Lite. I don't have a slot 2 m3 yet, but I would imagine they are good too. But out of the two slot 2's I have(G6 Lite and EZIV), I definitely recommend the G6 Lite. The EZIV is buggy and lacking in features.

And since you have a slot 1, I'm guessing that all you'll be using your slot 2 for is gba games? If so, then 512mb is more than enough. You'll fit a ton of them on.

7. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    There was recent firmware update for the M3 Lite allowed half broken access to SDHC cards, where it was either only games or multimedia that could be accessed. I don't know if it has been fixed, but it should have been high priority.

8. scandal_uk

Member scandal_uk GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The G6 Lite is easiest to manage and in combination with the G6 Real it's perfect. It is in demand, many suppliers no longer stock it.

The M3 Lite is better for storage size (especially for advanced users), but then some people prefer not to have to bother with configuring the SD cards or the slower loading times.

The EZ3in1 cart is limited - as I understand, it stores only one GBA game at a time. Although, the new G6 firmware should "manage" this and load the game onto the card from the G6 when necessary. It is the cheapest option and as with any of these carts, you get what you pay for.

9. thehunter8478

Newcomer thehunter8478 Newbie

United States
    Hi, i also have a g6 real DS and im looking for a good slot 2 card to go with it. Im looking for a card thats not too expensive that uses micro sd card so i can have mostly music, movies, e-books and the ocasional gba game and it could be awesome if it could rumble. any suggestions or is the M3 lite perfect the best bet?

10. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The SDHC update was for media only, but I'm in no rush for an SDHC games update. All I use my M3 Lite for is media [​IMG]

BTW, didn't the G6/M3 team say they were going to release a DLDI program that allowed you to flash GBA games to any of their slot-2s with RAM?

11. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I never heard of that! If I had known that I probably wouldn't have sold my M3 Simply and bought an M3 Real.

OK, I would have, because I could sell my M3 Simply for more than the M3 Real costed [​IMG] Still, this would be a nice feature for my brother, who has an R4 with M3 Perfect.

12. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Slot-2 that does work fine with the G6DS Real:

- M3/G6 GBA Expansion pack
    - M3 SD/MiniSD/Lite (Works just the same as the M3/G6 GBA Expansion pack)
    - G6 Flash/G6Flash Lite (Works just the same as M3/G6 GBA Expansion pack)
    - Ewin Expansion pak (Works just the same as M3/G6 GBA Expansion pack)

This means, you can just pûsh the GBA icon on the mean menu and select the game and press "A" and it boots/works
    It autosaves and you can make use of the RTS option on all those cards

- EZFlash 3in1: GBA works great with rudolphs tool and for Rumble you need to rumble patch the game that supports rumble
    You have to patch the Opera browser with the 3in1 browser patch to make use of the ram
    You have to manually backup/restore the save of the game everytime you play another GBA game

If it's only for GBA, any descent GBA flashkit will do i presume [​IMG]

13. Nathan-NL

Member Nathan-NL GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    @DjoeN: I had a topic about an slot-2 card (long time ago, NDSS) to use for backup proposes, which card did you mention in that topic?

14. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    ... This topic is almost one year old.

If you want to use a Slot-2 card to backup your NDS-games/-saves, you can use any DLDI compatible cart with Rudolphs NDS Dumper.

15. Nathan-NL

Member Nathan-NL GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    But I just want to know which card he did mention..

(I can also look at his website..)