Hacking Best slot-1 card with GBA expansion support?

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an R4, but want a slot-1 card with microSDHC support and built-in support for slot-2 GBA expansion cards. Right now, the best option seems to be to get the M3 Real pack (particularly as I could use the expansion pack in my DS Phat right now, and could switch the casing if I got a DS Lite), or to find a slot-1 card that supports EZ V 3-in-1 cart (I've found the full-size GBA cart version) natively in the file browser, preferably. I suppose I could just use one of those programs that works with the 3-in-1 on my R4, but I really really want a card with microSDHC support. Anyone know of the best option for what to do here?

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. Not a bad idea, although buying that + the 3-in-1 would cost about the same (from RHS at least), and I might as well stick with a more official solution if I'm doing that, although it probably doesn't matter much.

Any other cards that natively support GBA expansions? BTW, I realize the M3 Real's expansions are seperate, but that's not really important to me. However, I don't know how the GBA shell works, so the DSTT + 3-in-1 + YSmenu might be my best solution if I don't want to mess around with GBA ExpLoader or whatever its called.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard 2, CycloDS Evolution and (of course) the EZ-Flash V all support the 3-in-1 directly (the AK2 only supports it with the custom loaders, the official loader doesn't). The Evo and the EZ-V both support automatic SRAM patching in their latest beta loaders, and the EZ-V now supports multiple games in NOR (very handy if you want to use the 3-in-1 in a GBA, not a big deal otherwise).

AFAIK, your only other choice for a directly supported expansion pack is the M3 Real and its expansion. That will give you the best GBA capabilities (e.g. real time saves), but not the best DS capabilities (that's the Evo).

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The EZF5 and EZF5+ are supposed to be able to load more than one game into the NOR of the 3-in-1 with the new beta loader.
Just an idea.

Edit: Oh wait I was beaten in saying this. Destructobot said it right.

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Destructobot. While I'd like the CycloDS, I'm not prepared to spend the money for it + the EZ V 3-in-1. Right now it looks like the M3 DS Real pack is what I'm going with. Has anyone actually used the full-size GBA shell for the expansion pack?

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just open up with driver, change, close.
If you want a Deluxe pack for $45 here it is.
Here it is.
Comes with M3 DS Real, Rumble Pack, GBA Expansion Pack (also RAM pack), and the 3 extra cases (one of them GBA-sized).

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wchill said:
Just open up with driver, change, close.
If you want a Deluxe pack for $45 here it is.
Here it is.
Comes with M3 DS Real, Rumble Pack, GBA Expansion Pack (also RAM pack), and the 3 extra cases (one of them GBA-sized).

Yeah, I've seen that, but I can get one shipped from a US dealer for about ~$60 (RealHotStuff or DealWoot), and while I know DealExtreme is reliable, shipping from there is slow enough to make me spend the extra money on buying from a US dealer. And I am very impatient
rolleyes.gif
I still have the weekend to decide, as anything I buy would be shipped out on Monday or so anyways, but I think I'm still gonna just go with the M3 Real bundle.

Thanks to everyone for replying.
biggrin.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you're in the U.S., Leetmod.com has fast and free shipping (usually 2-3 days) as well as excellent customer support. I've also heard good things about RealHotStuff.com, but never used them myself.

-Bri

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
The Acekard 2, CycloDS Evolution and (of course) the EZ-Flash V all support the 3-in-1 directly (the AK2 only supports it with the custom loaders, the official loader doesn't).

OK, what does that mean about the Acekard 2 that only 'custom loaders' support the 3-in-1 directly? I read a review for the AK2 and all of a sudden, that sounds like a good option if it supports the 3-in-1 from within the OS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over