Best settings for Ogre Battle 64 in Retroarch?

DrDungus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started playing Ogre Battle 64 today in Retroarch using the included Mupen64 core, but there's occasional slowdown (also the text boxes look strange at the edges). Is there by chance anyone here experienced with modding this game who knows of anything I can do to help the game run better? Sorry for the kinda vague, kinda niche topic here, but I love this game, and I'd really like to be able to play it without having to keep my Wii U plugged in forever just for this one game. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: GoronMegaZord

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ogre Battle 64 was one of the games of my childhood and I've spent DECADES trying to get perfect emulation for it. It's fiendishly hard. I remember back in the Project 64 1.7 data there was a plugin that made a pretty good job of almost getting there, but I don't remember if it was Glide, Rice or something.

If you'd like my advice - besides playing it on Wii U (have it there as well, bought it and everything!), I'd recommend you emulate the Wii VC version of the game on Dolphin. I'm not sure if the screen transitions will be perfect, but I'm pretty sure it's as close to perfect as you can get without having a massive headache. It's by far my biggest recommendation.

Reactions: DrDungus

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I started playing Ogre Battle 64 today in Retroarch using the included Mupen64 core, but there's occasional slowdown (also the text boxes look strange at the edges). Is there by chance anyone here experienced with modding this game who knows of anything I can do to help the game run better? Sorry for the kinda vague, kinda niche topic here, but I love this game, and I'd really like to be able to play it without having to keep my Wii U plugged in forever just for this one game. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't tried it with Ogre Battle myself, but I really like the ParaLLEl core for other games. Make sure you turn off / disable the rewind function. I noticed that really slowed down stuff for me, even though I didn't even use it.
Then, I would just suggest playing with the resolutions if you still need to tweak things. I prefer to go by original resolution OR an integer scale of the original.

DrDungus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ogre Battle 64 was one of the games of my childhood and I've spent DECADES trying to get perfect emulation for it. It's fiendishly hard. I remember back in the Project 64 1.7 data there was a plugin that made a pretty good job of almost getting there, but I don't remember if it was Glide, Rice or something.

If you'd like my advice - besides playing it on Wii U (have it there as well, bought it and everything!), I'd recommend you emulate the Wii VC version of the game on Dolphin. I'm not sure if the screen transitions will be perfect, but I'm pretty sure it's as close to perfect as you can get without having a massive headache. It's by far my biggest recommendation.
I've actually started playing it on my WiiU again, but I haven't given up hope on one day getting it to work on emulator lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I haven't tried it with Ogre Battle myself, but I really like the ParaLLEl core for other games. Make sure you turn off / disable the rewind function. I noticed that really slowed down stuff for me, even though I didn't even use it.
Then, I would just suggest playing with the resolutions if you still need to tweak things. I prefer to go by original resolution OR an integer scale of the original.
I will give that a try, thank you!

Reactions: YukidaruPunch

GoronMegaZord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel your pain. Went through issues this week. Wii WAD through Dolphin is the most accurate, emulation-wise, but that one has audio skips at times. Probably just going to play it on my Wii-U as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay