Gaming Best SDHC bang for the buck with the Wii?

daroga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all,

Now that SDHC is available on the Wii, just wondering if anyone had recommendations for which card(s) to be looking into. I've been unclear if there's a speed bottleneck on the Wii itself making certain higher-speed cards a waste of extra cash, or if it's just the faster the better on the system

Thanks!

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Umm... Do you already have a DS flashcard that's compatible with SDHC?
If you don't mind swapping back and forth the cards, then just get a 16GB Class 6 on Newegg or whatever (microSD with an SD adapter, of course).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
just get a standard 16gb sdhc. don't bother with the sandisk speed II plus crap their only for video cams. just a standard sdhc nothing else. i picked up a kingston 16gb sdhc on ebay for $32

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seen a 16 GB A-DATA SDHC card on Newegg.ca for 35.99, I thought about getting a 32GB card but I figure since it's more then buying two 16GB cards, I am going to get a single A-DATA as 16GB's will hold loads of Rock Band songs and whatnot.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
Seen a 16 GB A-DATA SDHC card on Newegg.ca for 35.99, I thought about getting a 32GB card but I figure since it's more then buying two 16GB cards, I am going to get a single A-DATA as 16GB's will hold loads of Rock Band songs and whatnot.
It wont load any rock band songs. SDHC only works for the main menu for now. Rock band was made with only SD in mind.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dinofan01 said:
DSGamer64 said:
It wont load any rock band songs. SDHC only works for the main menu for now. Rock band was made with only SD in mind.
So why can I load all my Guitar Hero World Tour songs directly off a standard slow SD card? That makes no fricking sense if I can't load Rock Band DLC off a memory card yet it is possible with Guitar Hero.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dinofan01 said:
DSGamer64 said:
So why can I load all my Guitar Hero World Tour songs directly off a standard slow SD card? That makes no fricking sense if I can't load Rock Band DLC off a memory card yet it is possible with Guitar Hero.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dinofan01 said:
DSGamer64 said:

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
dinofan01 said:
DSGamer64 said:
Do you know what the difference is between SD and SDHC? There is a difference. Google it.

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My honest opinion a 4GB SD card would be fine considering thats 7 times the space of the Wii's internal storage it can store a lot, i got my 4 GB card for like 14 bucks at Officeworks, as for 32 GB their like 100 dollars and are rare were I live

Domon Kasshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated with Wan's 4.0 updater as well as installing the patched ios60. I would like to invest in a bigger memory card too. Would I be able to buy an sdhc card to copy and play my vc/ww games, play them thru the new feature as well as use homebrew via HBC ? I wanna be able to use my emus especially SDL Mame, Snes9x 004 build (more compatable with certain games), and wii dvd dumper. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
dinofan01 said:
DSGamer64 said:

SD is not the same as SDHC.

Also, the SD card support is built into each game. If the game was not meant to access SDHC card, you won't be able to access it. It's like ExciteTruck that can play MP3 files from the SD card, but the updated Photo Channel only does play AAC file.

The drivers version for all the Wii devices are in each IOS. If a game use a specific IOS, it will only be able to access the features from that IOS (that's what I understood from HackMii)
There are 23 IOS versions installed with current updates (this is also wasting the scarce 512MB internal memory!). Any new feature that they want to use in older games would have to be retroactively and individually added to each version, and it could create compatibility concerns because the interfaces with IOS functions aren’t all that stable either. Just doing these updates would cost them an immense amount of effort - it took them well over half a year to fix the fakesigning exploit and ship the IOS updates for all 23 versions, and that’s a minor update that can’t possibly affect games. Every time they’ve added a new feature (for example, the recent Wii Speak support, or USB keyboard support, or USB mouse support) they’ve just made a new fork of IOS for it. And IOS is limited to what it already handles - the ARM CPU that it runs on has no access to the graphics capabilities of the Wii (nor is it fast enough anyway - it has no floating point capability and it is a lot slower than the Broadway), so they can’t add any user-interface features to it.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
m-p{3} said:
DSGamer64 said:
dinofan01 said:
DSGamer64 said:

SD is not the same as SDHC.

Also, the SD card support is built into each game. If the game was not meant to access SDHC card, you won't be able to access it. It's like ExciteTruck that can play MP3 files from the SD card, but the updated Photo Channel only does play AAC file.

The drivers version for all the Wii devices are in each IOS. If a game use a specific IOS, it will only be able to access the features from that IOS (that's what I understood from HackMii)
There are 23 IOS versions installed with current updates (this is also wasting the scarce 512MB internal memory!). Any new feature that they want to use in older games would have to be retroactively and individually added to each version, and it could create compatibility concerns because the interfaces with IOS functions aren’t all that stable either. Just doing these updates would cost them an immense amount of effort - it took them well over half a year to fix the fakesigning exploit and ship the IOS updates for all 23 versions, and that’s a minor update that can’t possibly affect games. Every time they’ve added a new feature (for example, the recent Wii Speak support, or USB keyboard support, or USB mouse support) they’ve just made a new fork of IOS for it. And IOS is limited to what it already handles - the ARM CPU that it runs on has no access to the graphics capabilities of the Wii (nor is it fast enough anyway - it has no floating point capability and it is a lot slower than the Broadway), so they can’t add any user-interface features to it.
So basically Rock Band 2 does not have SDHC support, which is really stupid to be honest. I guess it's not possible to patch the game or something to give it support, or at least re-release it with the update in mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM