Hacking Best Rumble/GBA cart for CylcoDS?

Zeropoint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ordered the CycloDS Black and I also want to play GBA games and have Rumble function.

I know there is the EZ Flash 3in1 but I just want to check if there is anything better out there.

What I would like is No swapping with All functions (Rumble & GBA roms) in one package.

Also I just had some questions:
- What is the RAM expansion for?
- Would I need a separate microSD card for the GBA Roms?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I have a white Cyclo and a EZ Flash 3 in 1.

RAM expansion at this point will only allow you to use the Opera Browser. I think some people WERE working on trying to get it to work with some homebrew, but I've never heard anything further than that.

You shouldn't NEED a separate MicroSD for GBA stuff. You can just put everything on one MicroSD, assuming you have enough space. You will need Rudolph's tool, and most likely to patch the GBA titles. The Rumble works without doing anything on NDS games. Same goes with the RAM expansion.

This is a good place to start:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=3_..._for_EZ-Flash_V

Also, I know it's over-stated quite a bit, but use the search function, there are many threads already on this, there are even multiple threads on the Team Cyclops forums as well. All the best though!

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK with rumble/RAM/GBA all in one package the EZ Flash V 3in1 is the only option ATM.

The eWin expansion pack only does RAM/GBA(other slot-1 combo packages that use ewin expansion pack, usually also have a separate rumble pack, e.g. M3 DS Real Perfect Combo, TTDS rumble + GBA/RAM), and none of the heavier duty slot-2 flash carts(also capable of running NDS ROMs and apps) IF they have rumble, they usually lose most of their RAM and GBA functionality. IF they DON'T have rumble then they usually have FULL GBA capability.

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am currently looking into this as well, but wouldn't it be advantageous to get a solution like the M3 Perfect Lite so you can store games on a card inside that, rather than running it from the Slot1 card? Also, what are the load times like to get GBA games running off of the 3in1 or similar solutions? I read somewhere it can take numerous minutes?

Zeropoint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am currently looking into this as well, but wouldn't it be advantageous to get a solution like the M3 Perfect Lite so you can store games on a card inside that, rather than running it from the Slot1 card? Also, what are the load times like to get GBA games running off of the 3in1 or similar solutions? I read somewhere it can take numerous minutes?

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for?
In my case, I bought a CycloDS and wanted to play GBA games and use rumble but not have 2 separate adaptors.

As far as I can guess the GBA games are stored on the microSD card on my CycloDS. I just really wanted to confirm that, so I don't end up buying a second card for no reason.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am currently looking into this as well, but wouldn't it be advantageous to get a solution like the M3 Perfect Lite so you can store games on a card inside that, rather than running it from the Slot1 card?  Also, what are the load times like to get GBA games running off of the 3in1 or similar solutions?  I read somewhere it can take numerous minutes?

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for?
In my case, I bought a CycloDS and wanted to play GBA games and use rumble but not have 2 separate adaptors.

As far as I can guess the GBA games are stored on the microSD card on my CycloDS. I just really wanted to confirm that, so I don't end up buying a second card for no reason.
Zeropoint - Yes, gba games are stored on the micro sd in slot 1.
Avenger - Maybe, but then no rumble. But you would get RAM. Load times vary with ROM size, but nothing unbearable. It might take 60 or 90 seconds (don't quote me here, its just an estimate) to load a large ROM to NOR. So go take a leak or pick your nose. You won't have much more time than that.

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good to know, thanks! I was going to go buy an expensive GBA slot flash card, but I think I will just keep them on my slot 1 after doing some reading rather than invest in another MicroSD GBA flash cart.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably the eWin Expansion pack as AFAIK it only contains RAM, so you'd have to download the ROM each time that you want to play, but it loads FAST.

The DSTT/TTDS Expansion Pack is just a re-badged eWin Expansion pack, so you could get one of those too if you could find it sol separately or get one from someone else for some reason.

Also, someone here said that the M3 DS Real's GBA/Expansion pack is also just a re-badged eWin expansion pack, but I'm not sure about that one and the only place I've seen them selling it separately has the same price as a 3in1 while sky2k.com sells them for c.$14 and dealextreme(or one of those other Chinese places) has them for c. $12.

The 3in1 really isn't that bad either as the VAST majority of games WILL fit into the 16MB of PSRAM, and while flash games to NOR flash DOES take a while, exactly how often will you be swapping out 32MB games anyways? Also another to be aware of is that EZ-Flash is changing the flash chip used in the cart which is going to require software updates to use the cart with 3rd party homebrew loaders. Also you MUST patch GBA ROMs before use with the 3in1, mostly use gbata unless they're 1024kbit flash type saves in which case you'll want to use the EZ-Flash IV vlient patcher. The 3in1 is usually in the $19 - 22 price range.

The eWin has it's own loader which I think is in the file section here or available through their forums. Another bonus of the eWin is that you don't have to save patch your ROMs as the loader does it for you, and AFAIK it now works correctly with all save types with the v1.6 loader. (Earlier ones had a problem with a few save types found on some ROMs.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over