OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I just finished playing Chrono Cross for the first time in 7 years... and I'm really amazed at all the stuff I simply missed or didn't understand the first time through.

It got me thinking though... man those old RPGs were *really* high quality. What do you guys think are some of the best RPGs out there (I'm primarily looking for complex/interesting plot, but also a decent, non-basic battle system)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 8.... Hmmm, that's the ones I can think of right now.... (Action-RPG's á la zelda: Soulblazer, Illusion of Time / Gaia, Terranigma)

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Morrowind! I forgot about that game, probably one of the best you can find. If you are going to play, make sure you only use magic, physical attacks really won't work in this game.

cheapassdave

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
oh yeah, fallout 2. i forgot about that awesome game. im going to go install it right now....
laugh.gif

cant wait for fallout 3

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I just finished playing Chrono Cross for the first time in 7 years... and I'm really amazed at all the stuff I simply missed or didn't understand the first time through.

It got me thinking though... man those old RPGs were *really* high quality. What do you guys think are some of the best RPGs out there (I'm primarily looking for complex/interesting plot, but also a decent, non-basic battle system)

Did you get all the 40+ characters?

I think I got the majority of the characters the first play through. It's an amazing game considering how many playable characters they had in the game.

Legend

.missing
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sigh... where to begin...

Final Fantasy 4 (Snes)
Final Fantasy 5 (Snes)
Final Fantasy 6 (Snes)
Final Fantasy 7 (Ps1)
Final Fantasy 9 (Ps1)
Final Fantasy 10 (Ps2)
Final Fantasy 12 (Ps2) were all great.
Chrono Trigger (Snes).
Valkyrie Profile (very hard to find, Ps1).
Valkyrie Profile 2 (Ps2) - it's quite possibly the most aesthetically pleasing PS2 game I've ever played.
Earthbound (Snes) was very unique.
Destiny Of An Emperor (NES), and Destiny of An Emperor 2. Unique, but a bit slow.
E.V.O. (Snes), though it's not REALLY an RPG, it's still a really neat game.
Secret Of Mana (Snes)
Secret of Evermore (Snes)

Hopefully those help.
smile.gif

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Jul 6 2007, 01:05 PM)]I kinda really lub Shining Force (Genesis), it was my first RPG/turn-based-dealie.

YES. Greatest games ever. Please, everyone, go play this game. But stay away from Shining in the Dark, not that great of a game. But Shining Force 1, 2, and 3 for Genesis, man, go play those right now.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SNES FFs
Those are the only RPGs I played more than 15 times through. Played on actual consoles, then PC emulators, on GBA ports and even on PSP's emulators.
I can draw so many maps with where treasure chests are, what they contain, hidden paths, what NPCs are doing what.. I even remember character lines so I stopped playing until my brain decides to stop storing those data.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES. Greatest games ever. Please, everyone, go play this game. But stay away from Shining in the Dark, not that great of a game. But Shining Force 1, 2, and 3 for Genesis, man, go play those right now.
Did you ever play that remake of Shining Force that came out for the GBA a year or two ago? If so, what'd you think about it?

fatfrank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Some games i'm gonna name are not PURE HARDCORE RPGs but they containt enough elements of what make a great rpg to be named

FF4,5,6 and 7, those are the best in my opinion, also final fantasy tactics, it is a short and easy game but well worth the trip.
Earthbound... Earthbound is such a special, funky, funny and weird game and damn it is solid

Shenmue... no other games ever made me feel like the shenmue series... no other, not even metal gear solid

the first suikoden was very good in my opinion (psx).

Also on the psx, Azure Dreams, very hard to finish but very fun, combines rpg, strategy, town building (even if it's a very simplistic thing in the game) dating sim, monster breeding and adventure... loved it.

the first harvest moon on the snes, wich is the ONE AND ONLY harvest moon in my opinion, or it's little brother Legend of The River King for gameboy.

Secret of mana, but there's a catch here, even if t his game is extremly good to begin with, it only reaches it's full potential when you play with a friend, good times
smile.gif

-edit-

Oh, i forgot, Tobal 1 on the psx... old and ugly game but i loved it, it's a fighting game with an rpg system, you develop your character rpg style but fight Tekken style, try it out and don't get turned off by it's uglyness
so many more remain but i've blabered enough, pick a few in that list you won't be disapointed
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things