Gaming Best puzzle where you became stuck in a DS Game..

Hillsy_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What was the best head scratcher you came across while playing on your DS. Did you manage to solve it? or did you leave the game alone hoping to come back to it later?

I am going to say Zelda Phantom Hourglass for me. I am not going to say how to solve it but.. I remember I had to find the Sun Key. It said I had to align the Southwestern Sea Charts so a hole, or rift in time would appear. I must admit, Nintendo do have some devious puzzles. Especially the Metroid and Zelda games. I was amazed at how good a puzzle it was.

Anyone care to share there thoughts?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some Puzzle # on Tetris DS.
biggrin.gif

(Yes I have trouble with the puzzles on Tetris)

~Nero

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

No joke.. this part where there is a crest and you gotta "press" it on your sea chart. You actually had to put the sea chart on the touch screen, the crest on the top screen and then close and reopen the DS. I couldn't figure it out myself, had to look on internet =(

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

No joke.. this part where there is a crest and you gotta "press" it on your sea chart. You actually had to put the sea chart on the touch screen, the crest on the top screen and then close and reopen the DS. I couldn't figure it out myself, had to look on internet =(
something like that was also in Another Code
tongue.gif

also when you had to half close the ds to see a 'code' because the screens where reflecting on eachother
smile.gif

Hillsy_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:

Ah! that was the one I was thinking about. It was a mirror image. I found it difficult too. I actually closed my DS thinking something might happen, but I wasn't sure.

It had me stuck for quite a while. I was thinking.. it was a mirror image, how do I join both sea charts together. I was using the stylus on the sea charts. forming holes etc.. It is quite funny now, but a devil of a puzzle.

Some of Boulder Dash Rocks! was puzzling too, not as much as Zelda. In the main game of Boulder Dash Rocks! you actually move a character called 'Rockford' around a maze dodging boulders, diamonds, monsters etc. It is a pretty good puzzle game. The clever thing is though, later on you unlock a mode called 'Route Race'. In this mode you have to guide and plan 'Rockfords' path ahead using your stylus. You don't actually control 'Rockford' with your D-Pad. So you have to know how the boulders fall, how diamonds react to the boulders falling etc. All this you have to do in one life before having to start again to plan your next move. It was a good idea. Check it out if you get the chance.

Scumisen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hotel Dusk

When you are going to find the bookmark in the box. Took me a total of 20 minutes to get it out -.-

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
QUOTE said:

Ah! that was the one I was thinking about. It was a mirror image. I found it difficult too. I actually closed my DS thinking something might happen, but I wasn't sure.

It had me stuck for quite a while. I was thinking.. it was a mirror image, how do I join both sea charts together. I was using the stylus on the sea charts. forming holes etc.. It is quite funny now, but a devil of a puzzle.

Some of Boulder Dash Rocks! was puzzling too, not as much as Zelda. In the main game of Boulder Dash Rocks! you actually move a character called 'Rockford' around a maze dodging boulders, diamonds, monsters etc. It is a pretty good puzzle game. The clever thing is though, later on you unlock a mode called 'Route Race'. In this mode you have to guide and plan 'Rockfords' path ahead using your stylus. You don't actually control 'Rockford' with your D-Pad. So you have to know how the boulders fall, how diamonds react to the boulders falling etc. All this you have to do in one life before having to start again to plan your next move. It was a good idea. Check it out if you get the chance.
man I also had that problem! I actually didn't know what the hell happened when I reopened my ds after a moments break from such frustration.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think it was case four in Gyakuten Saiban 2. I played midway then stopped, picked it up again and was lost. I did eventually get through it though.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Nowhere near being the "best" puzzle (or a puzzle at all really), but I got completely stuck on Phoenix Wright 1 at one point. After running around for a couple of days trying to trigger the next dialogue sequence I caved and looked it up on GameFAQs. I never would've figured it out either.

And I still don't get the Triti removal puzzle in Trauma Centre.
rolleyes.gif

Hillsy_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
man I also had that problem! I actually didn't know what the hell happened when I reopened my ds after a moments break from such frustration

Well done for sticking with it, it really was a well thought out puzzle. Nintendo do know how to get the most from there hardware. The Phantom Hourglass uses the DS in a way where the puzzle is actually formed from the capabilities of the hardware.

Its' funny, why? Well the Phantom Hourglass comes across as a game for children. You play a wannabe hero 'Link' cutting down bushes and looking well...cute! He doesn't say much, just nods along. But.. But.. the puzzles, some of them test even the most veteran of gamers. Very lovable character. I actually enjoyed Phantom Hourglass more than Twilight Princess. Linebeck was funny too knocking over the stone statue of Tetra (Zelda). I had to giggle.

I think I would like to check out this Hotel Dusk I hear good things about it. Too addicted to Picross at the moment. Damn Nintendo puzzle games!

Masked

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The most frustrating DS puzzle of all time is definitely the "open/close your DS" puzzle in Trace Memory, Zelda, and Hotel Dusk (iirc). Every person I know who has played any of these games seems to agree, and only solved it through closing the DS (and in one case throwing it across the room) out of frustration.
tongue.gif

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

yea that and the levers on the ghost ship

2dere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hahahah thats funny. That gets me alot too. So much so I'll end up reading something on the card under Moonshell till I can make up my mind. That or watch episodes of Ryuusei no Rockman (Its the only series I've put on my card.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning