Misc Best public WiFi hotspots to use?

shadow1w2

Still here.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering what you guys think the best place for going online with the DS would be and where everyone goes for online play where they live.

Just bought MKDS so Im looking for hotspots myself.

For me I cant get onto the access point at my friends house so StarBucks is my only way to go online and thats in the next town over.
Though Mcdonalds should have WiFi sooner or later, Id rather not play at Mcdonalds with the little kids trying to yank my DS from me or gnawing on my leg for it.
Yes kids at Mcdonalds are really bad in CA >.>
Maybe Im just exagurating, but I really hate going there normally and kids at the mall already flock around me when my DS is out. So ya, Mcdonalds is evil

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have a university/college nearby? I live right next to a university that offers free wi-fi access anywhere on campus to anyone with a wireless-capable device. It's not only the easiest way I've found to get online, it's also private as well. (If you're completely paranoid.)

younglink11

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The panera near my house has wifi, but i can't seem to connect to it with my DS. It'll spot the connection for me, but when it tries to connect afterwards it always fails.

Viguro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.fictionpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Unless I walk 5-6 blocks up Roosevelt Avenue I'm out of luck since all the wifi's in flushing is either locked tight or don't exist (grimey town I tell ya!) My college has "open wifi access to all students" but when my DS attempts to use these hot spots (the sticker says hot spot and everything...) it always disconnects my DS after a minute or so ( a realy pity, EVERY BUILDING on the campus has a hotspot and I can't use ANY of them
sleep.gif
) I'm thinking I need a laptop and a dongle in order to play at my campus (both of which I don't have and a laptop I can't afford...) The router right at my house is unbelieveably unstable, and YET it has never disconnected me mid game...it simply causes the following problems: DS can't connect, DS can connect but can't find WFC.
sleep.gif
THe only way to remedy is powering off and on the router.... So many problems...WHY?!

Anyway...sorry...little rant on my side.

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless I walk 5-6 blocks up Roosevelt Avenue I'm out of luck since all the wifi's in flushing is either locked tight or don't exist (grimey town I tell ya!) My college has "open wifi access to all students" but when my DS attempts to use these hot spots (the sticker says hot spot and everything...) it always disconnects my DS after a minute or so ( a realy pity, EVERY BUILDING on the campus has a hotspot and I can't use ANY of them
sleep.gif
) I'm thinking I need a laptop and a dongle in order to play at my campus (both of which I don't have and a laptop I can't afford...) The router right at my house is unbelieveably unstable, and YET it has never disconnected me mid game...it simply causes the following problems: DS can't connect, DS can connect but can't find WFC.
sleep.gif
THe only way to remedy is powering off and on the router.... So many problems...WHY?!

Anyway...sorry...little rant on my side.

Least you can play at home, geez... =p

No one in this apartment building has wireless router for me to leech off of
wtf.gif
and I have deemd the Ninty USB dongle unusable with my apartment as well since it hates me and my computer(s) hates the dongle. Only connected once, and never again.
cry.gif

My only access to WFC is through a McDonalds. Unfortunately, the closest one to my neighborhood is a couple of blocks away from my neighborhood, and I live on the side that is next to a highway so the distance between us is greater than what I'm willing to walk. Only way I can play comfortably is to go to a McDonalds nearby my school in Manhattan (which is pretty easy now that I gotta carpool because of the stupid Transit Strike and all). So far the service isn't bad. Just try to avoid multiple floors otherwise you can't tell where you're supposed to sit to avoid lag.
unsure.gif

mrotto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No WiFi here at Liverpool Westfield (Australia) eventhough they have an EB store.
cry.gif
All other EB store in Sydney have them, but not Liverpool. Stupid westies!! Why couldn't I live in the USA and join the WiFi revolution?

BaHaMut_ZeR0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my tinkering with my Wireless Router, I found that you MUST use KeyIndex 1 for WEP, or else you get weak signal.

Secondly, my wireless router refused to assign an IP to my DSLite. So I had the DS request a specific one instead. I picked 192.168.0.20. Gateway and DNS should be your router IP, which, in my case, is 192.168.0.1.

Also, if the router has access control, then you need to add the DS. You can find your DS's MAC address in configuration.

Rayout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If any of your neighbors have wireless system set up, ask if they'd be willing to share it with you if you mowed their lawn every week or something. If you are tech savey, ask if they will let you secure their wireless and computer system for them.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StarBucks is my only way to go online and thats in the next town over.

but starbucks are EVERYWHERE!!!! Theres 3 in my city! I know what you mean about mcdonalds, sooo many little kids around you trying to see what your doing, and some even ask "Can i play?" then you say no, and they throw a fit.. THen you seem like the bad guy!
Maybe libraries have wifi... ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands