Best portable for nes/snes emu?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by elpaco, Jul 11, 2006.

Jul 11, 2006

Best portable for nes/snes emu? by elpaco at 2:32 PM (2,233 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. elpaco
    OP

Newcomer elpaco Newbie

Sweden
    What should i buy if i want the best possible portable for playing nes/snes games?

Like picture quality, screen ratio, space on it for roms, easy access etc.

I have wanted a portable for this a long time, and now im thinking about buying the ds lite, but maybe GBA or PSP is better for this purpose what do you think? The ds emulators doesnt support much now iknow, but they probably will soon?

2. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Go PSP. It has much better emulation than the DS, atm at least.

3. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    i heard the gp2x is badass for emulation

4. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    IMO the PSP is not the great of a portable....it's huge and the screen is always open making for me to have to cary it in a case. It does handle emulation well though but again I find it uncomfortable. I haven't tried a Gp2X yet or anything like that but pocketNES is great for playing NES games on the GBA. Megaman and Mario look a little mushed so then we have NesDS which hasn't had an update in forever ::tear:: however it runs a lot of games that look perfect minus the fact that you cant save.....but a LOT of NES games require you to use passwords anyway.

SnezziDS is getting a lot of updates for a SNES emulator on the DS and can run Megaman 7, Super Metroid, Super Mario ALl Stars....not sure I haven't tried Snezzi yet (just going off the read me) but I can say NesDS is great. You will now get a lo of PSPers saying OMG get a 1.5 PSP and they are probally right....I just don't think its a portable system

5. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Uhm.. I know, but the main factor he's getting a portable is SNES emulation and you won't get good SNES emulation on a DS. Get a PSP or GPX2, those 2 would be your best bet. Get a DS if you wanna play the games of the handheld as well, since PSP doesn't have a lot to offer, DS on the other hand...

6. _Mazza_

Member _Mazza_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    for just NES and SNES and other classic consoles the GPX2 is the best console by far. It runs linux and the makers of it designed the device to run emulators and homebrew

7. elpaco
    OP

Newcomer elpaco Newbie

Sweden
    I have read about the GP2X MK2 now, and yeah i want one [​IMG]

Not many stores seems to have one tough..

8. saulin

Member saulin GBAtemp Regular

I was looking at the GP2X and the gamepad is a crappy joystick?

That's the only reason why I didn't buy it. I don't see how a joystick will replace a NES, SNES pad. I hate joystics for playing old 2D games. If I try playing Snes games or Genesis games with the Xbox joystick it sure feels odd.

9. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Far as SNES I have no opinion as what exists runs fairly incorrectly and in various levels of slowness because either the hardware is too slow (GBA) or fools are trying to port very buggy and very very slow SNES9X code to bigger machines.

But NES is an easy one and should be undesputed and that would be PocketNES for the GBA as it runs like a champ for like 95% of the games out there with crisp audio and smooth full framerates.

10. Rev Jim

Newcomer Rev Jim Advanced Member

Guyana
    I can't believe there's not a good SNES emulator for the GBA or DS yet...I mean WTF? All of these re-relesed SNES titles run fine, so the machines can do it no doubt.

What's the best one to try? SnezziDS? Anything else worth trying?

11. Rev Jim

Guyana
  12. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Running ported SNES games != emulating SNES games. SNES emulation on the GBA is a wonder, SNES emulation on the DS is still difficult.

13. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    You misunderstand. rereleased titles are ported titles and are rewritten to work on the hardware. ex: command X_SNES (Where X is a function run on the SNES) is redone to become X_GBA that works on the gba. an emulator has a function Y_GBA that interprets X_SNES so that X can be understood by the GBA.

14. larvi

Member larvi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The problem with the DS in emulating nes/snes is that the screen resolution isn't high enough to support the full output, so you either have the choice to either leave out lines or scroll up and down when playing a game. And if you play games that have a lot of text in them such as rpgs, neither solution is that great. I haven't tried using a PSP or GP32X so I don't know if they have the same issue.

15. Rev Jim

Guyana
    Ah, these points make a lot of sense. Thanks.

It's still probably only a matter of time though till people find a way to make it around these issues somehow. Where there's a will there's a way and all that.

16. Kagaden

Newcomer Kagaden Advanced Member

United States
    Actually the DS looks badass with NES.

Check out the newest nesDS, it's fairly close to 1:1 scaling to the DS's full screen. You're thinking the craptacular GBA resolution.