Best Playstation Emulator?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by kristianity77, Feb 11, 2007.

Feb 11, 2007
  1. kristianity77
    OP

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    Ive just managed to dig out a shed load of old PS1 games both original and a few copies, and i dont own a PS1 anymore, was just wondering if anyone uses a PC emulator for the playstation and could point me in the right direction of the best one? Ive never dabbled into ps1 emulation yet, its always been snes or megadrive so far

2. squee

Newcomer squee Advanced Member

Germany
    ePSXe is the best one in my opinion, it plays ISOs aswell as CD-ROMs and has many features to improve graphics. But this emulator requires a powerful PC, if you want to play at 60fps all the time

3. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    What he said. ePSXe is the best. Don't even bother with all the others, just get that [​IMG]

4. Sekkyumu

Member Sekkyumu GBAtemp Regular

France
    What I do :

I use EPSXE and PCSX. Some games don't work on pcsx or epsxe so it's good to have them both [​IMG].

5. galaxykidgamma

Member galaxykidgamma GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well i typically use ePSXe also, but with some Armored Core games you get audio glitches (random quotes from missions played at random times) and also it won't play Vib ribbon. Both of these problems are solved using just the PSX emulator, i think a search for psxfin might find it, but it seems a little less stable on most games

6. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    ePSX used to be the BEST, and to a certain extant still is, but you guys should check out this relatively new(at least in concept ) emulator:

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

You see in terms of compatibility I would say is just as high as ePSX ( maybe some games run better or worse on either one) but the good thing is that when you run it, it feels almost like the real thing.
    No fancy screen filters, NO PLUGINS at all, whatever it needs(bios apart) is basically self contained in the executable.
    And it's not so resource intense as the other one.
    I'm surprised that you guys don't use it and don't even mention it.
    And the best point: It's still actively developed on and regularly updated !!

7. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    That's the one one I use. It rocks and has almost perfect compatibility!

8. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Yes, pSX is great, while it doesn't do the fancy graphic improvement that ePSXe can do, it's pretty much near perfect - you won't be playing around with tweaks and such just to get everything running correctly.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    epsxe is good and all and deserving of the accolade it gets (for the most part) but another vote for psxemulator:
    http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

The was a more PSX hacking oriented emu but I forgot which one that was (in terms of playabilty it was a more accurate emulator but speed and to far less extent compatibility suffered.

10. TheValeman

Newcomer TheValeman Member

New Zealand
    I have both ePSXe and pSX and I find although they both have their own advantages and disadvantages I tend to keep going back to pSX 1.10 even though the graphics are way worse than the other emu as it doesn't do any filtering etc. And audio which is problematic on some games with ePSXe run fine with pSX 1.10. Also some games like Raiden DX dont register start button presses in the emulators. Weird stuff.....

Saying that .... you can pick up a PS1 for $20 nowadays and if you have a TV tuner in your PC [I do [​IMG] ] it ends up a way nicer experience with the controllers etc.
    I mean .... I got the licenses on Gran Turismo in short order on the console but it's an excercise in pure frustration on the emulators .... real pull your hair out stuff if you dont have a decent controller etc.

I connect my N64 & Dreamcast up this way and am getting a PS1 or 2 soon to do the same with that console. No reason with old consoles being so cheap now not to own one. And replacement laser units are easy to acquire for them so you can keep em running just about until doomsday .... about the time when a perfect psx emulator arrives.

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    While I do not doubt that is a nice way to play (I actually use the reverse and output to TV) many of us have these wonderful devices or something very simlar as without question they surpass nearly every PC pad on the market (certainly the ones that have a sensible price tag):
    [​IMG]

12. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    those thingies sometimes have quite the latency ;-/

13. mcbey

Member mcbey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    for all of my emulation now a days, I use my 360 controller. Works well on any thing I try. Especially on N64 emu because the use the gamecube controller for it on the wii, and the 360 is almost Identically to the gamecube controller.

14. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    I use ePSXe myself.
    Though ive been getting into Zinc lately, but thats really just an arcade emulator. Though Ive heard rumors that it has hidden code for PSX console emulation that should be enabled in the next update or two.

I use my Gamecube controller, and ive tried out a crappy PSX rip off PC pad, wich has crappy thumbstick sensitivity.
    Though my Xbox360 (madcatz) pad works a hella lot better. Though all three controllers dont work with Rumble support or even all the buttons :/
    Well, the PSX rip off and GCN pad work wtih all buttons/d-pads, but the GCN one never seems to stop inputing the analog L R shoulder button controls. Wich can be a little annoying and take some extra time :/

Also the Xbox 360 pad isnt all that great for PC since the analoag shoulder triggers are put on one analog axis. Wich sucks ass for most games.
    Plus that little Xbutton with the lights would be alot of fun to take advantage of.

Im told I shoulda rewired an Xbox(smaller one) controlller instead since theres some really really nice homemade drivers for it that give you full control over the how the driver reads the controls.
    Hopefully someone will make a homemade Xbox360 driver. Microsoft's sucks arse :/ (plus its not uninstallable ;-[​IMG]

As for PSX games, Ive never gad too much trouble running games in full speed since I had a pentuim 3. And thats with ePSXe too.
    Though with a buncha tweaking ofcourse. Plus theres the usual too slow or too fast issues with some games. But eh, its fully playable :3

Hey, I wonder how Ape Escape would work with the Wii mote xD
    Must find a copy of that >.>

15. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I use an adaptor called Trio linker Plus, and with that I can play emulated PSX games with a real PS2 controller.
    And I like it the other way around then most of you it seems: My computer is connected to my HDTV trough a HDMI cable and I play games on emulators that way....I don't understand why people would want to hook up a console to the PC monitor and play while uncomfortably sitting at the computer desk.
    And I know that old systems are dirty chip this days, but still I like to have CD-Images on my hard drive and mount it on virtual drives without having to dust off my CD collection every time I feel like playing some old game.
    Digital content is the way to go, hard storage systems are going to be obsolete.

16. kristianity77
    OP

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    does the psx emulator run games off CD though? I know epsxe does but the other psxemulater looks to be images only, am i wrong?

17. mackster

Member mackster GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    yes the PSX does run through CD but i think its better using an img like from alcohol 120%

18. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    ya even epsxe is slow reading cd's from your drive. Even at the highest speed I get lots of stutter. Its ALWAYS better to make an ISO. I'm sure pSX isn't any better off in terms of cd usage. I've used pSX before, but I'm a graphics whore so I went ePSXe over pSX, though granted, pSX is alot closer to the original PS1 than any other emulator.