Best place to buy memory stick?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Scathraax, Oct 10, 2008.

Oct 10, 2008
  1. Scathraax
    OP

Member Scathraax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm purchasing a PSP from a friend within the next few days, and I plan to install CFW on it.
    Having figured out the whole Pandora Battery/Magic Memory Stick combo.. I'm currently looking for some good quality Memory Sticks.

I want one good size Memory Stick for homebrew, ISO's, and whatnot. (Maybe 4 - 8GB, depending on the price)
    And another smaller stick to be used as a Magic MS. (1GB, maybe something smaller so as to save money)

Since I'm pretty new to the PSP scene, I'm not sure where to look for Memory Sticks that are light on the wallet.. Care to direct me? [​IMG]

2. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    at least in germany you get the M2 Micro Memory Sticks + Duo Adapter for a cheaper price than a normal sized duo stick...so I would look into their prices aswell... you could use a cheap Dealextreme memory stick as Magic memory stick (DX's memory sticks are fake but okay as MMS) but use a real one as ISO MS

3. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm in the same boat as you lol - buying a PSP off a friend with intent on modding it. What the guy above is saying is rather than buy a memory stick, buy a microSD card instead as they are cheaper. To buy a 4gb mem stick it'll cost around £20 but to buy a 4gb microSDHC it'll cost around £5 - £10. You'll need to buy a microSDHC to MS Pro Duo adapter though to turn your microSD card into a mem stick.

4. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Actually, Raki is referring to $ony's version of the microSDHC which is called M2.

5. Scathraax
    OP

United States
    You mean these?

The adapter doesn't cause any reading lag or anything?

6. Raki

Germany
    nah, it just works fine like my 1 GB Memory stick which came with my PSP

7. Scathraax
    OP

United States
    Ah, good.
    I'm thinkin' I'll grab a 2GB and a 4GB. [​IMG]

8. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't know from personal experience, but I have heard some rumblings about the adapter causing lag, especially if you are going to have a larger memory card.

What I have are three different 4 gig memory sticks. Two of them are Lexars that I bought off Frys.com, they are less than 30 bucks each. I wanted a lot of space, but did not want the lag and speed problems that Ive heard about with 8 gigs, so I just got several 4 gigs and carry them around everywhere. BTW, there is a thread here somewhere where everyone posted their speed test results for their memory sticks, and everyone who had the Lexar's kicked as*....

9. Raki

Germany
    I have a 8 GB M2 + Adapter...this should be a large one