Best pick up and play games, ala Picross.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Vague Rant, Aug 7, 2008.

Aug 7, 2008
  1. Vague Rant
    OP

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Hey guys, first post, how's everybody doing? I see a couple of familiar faces about, so hello to anybody who recognises me from elsewhere.

Getting into it, does anyone have a good list of recommendations for pick up and play games, which don't require a big investment to get full enjoyment out of? As an example of the sort of game I'm not looking for, Phoenix Wright is a fun game, and regardless of the fact that you can save anywhere, it's a lot more enjoyable (and easier) played consistently than occasionally when I get bored. Believe me when I say that I'm not criticising Phoenix Wright: it's excellent and I enjoyed it very much, but at present I'm looking for something different, that I can get into and out of at the drop of a hat.

The only game of this sort that I've really managed to find is Picross DS; but I've all but exhausted the game (six puzzles left, and all of them too hard for me to bother finishing), so I've been looking for something new to play with not much success. I tried Pic Pic, but found the lack of instructions and lack of balance displeasing. I thought another picross game might be in order, so I tried Essential Sudoku, but found the controls unwieldy (as a seasoned Mario no Picross player, I prefer to play using the d-pad and buttons, and the digital controls in Essential Sudoku are awful).

I've already got Tetris DS, but just quietly, I've always been rather awful at Tetris, and never really found it as addictive as others tend to. Seeing as Tetris Attack is my second-favourite game of all time, I've also got Planet Puzzle League, but without TA's story mode, I've always been rather disappointed by the series after that game. Also it has a disgustingly cheap and sleazy look to it; I'm aware of the AR code that opens Lip's Stage for play, and do use it whenever I play, but even so, the game doesn't hold my interest long in its state.

I've already played through WarioWare: Touched!, and that's beside the fact that I've never really been into the WarioWare series, I was just bored enough to persevere with it. I'm not very big on the minigames genre in general, but if there are any which stand above the rest, I'd be open to giving them a shot. I tried Puzzle Quest and couldn't get into it, I found Zoo Keeper to be a far more enjoyable Bejeweled clone. Another lesser-known game I tried was Matchstick - Puzzle by DS, and while it was fun for a while, it quickly grew in difficulty to the point where it became more frustrating than enjoyable.

I've also got a number of crossword games, from Nintendo's Crosswords DS, to the USA Today and Sun crossword games, through The New York Times Crosswords (the best of the bunch so far as I can tell). Another game I've tried is Clubhouse Games, but it seems much more geared to multiplayer gaming, and playing by myself I can never stay interested in it for long. Most of the time I end up playing Solitaire, which its version of is entirely serviceable.

My apologies for the long list of games I don't want to play; I'll try to list the type of things I would like to play:
    • sudoku; already got Brain Age, what else is good?
    • kakuro; every one I read about has been received badly or else is in Japanese, help?
    • racing; got Mario Kart and the botched Diddy Kong Racing, what's good?
    • music; tried Elite Beat Agents and Guitar Hero, but most of the music is awful; any with good, or at least average music?
    • pinball; lately I've been playing Pokémon Pinball on GBC, I tried Metroid Prime Pinball, but it seemed a bit busy; are there any good pinball games on DS?
    Sorry, short list, I know. I suppose that's why I'm here, I've kind of run out of my own ideas, so I'm looking for someone else's. I'm open to homebrew too, so if anyone has any recommendations there (already got PuzzleManiak), they're welcome too. Oh, and if there are any SNES/Genesis/Neo Geo/Game Boy games of this sort which run well in emulators, I'd be happy to give those a shot, too.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Think I bolded them all, thanks for the tip.

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You might want to bold all the games you've tried already, Mr. Picky. [​IMG]

I can only think of one game and it's Meteos.

3. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Wall of Text!

As for racing games, try out Need for Speed series.

4. Rokamunky

Newcomer Rokamunky Member

United Kingdom
    When it comes out N+ will be right up your street. I know what you are saying i am the same, Lego Indiana jones is pretty addictive too and easy to jump in and out of.

Hope these help you out slightly

Rokamunky

5. LFF

Newcomer LFF Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    For music, Rhythm Tengoku Gold, Daigasso, and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (EBA's Japanese Predecessor).
    They're all japanese, but if you know what you're doing, you can play them easily enough.

And if you have a flash kart, get PuzzleManiak, it has tons of different puzzles on it. (Though I can't find the link now anywhere...)

6. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    I'll list some stuff from the top of my mind:

RHYTHM TENGOKU GOLD, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2, Geometry Wars and New Super Mario Bros.

Ouendan is basically EBA, but has better music, it's in japanese though(obviously).

7. Vague Rant
    OP

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    What would it take to play these? Would I need to constantly have a FAQ beside me, or just once, or will I be able to figure them out without a guide at all? Oh, and I already finished New Super Mario Bros. How does the DS Geometry Wars compare to console versions?

8. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    DS Geometry Wars is also good. You move with the Dpad and can fire with the ABXY pad or the touchscreen.
    You can also use bombs with L/R
    Try it, its awesome.

9. evoo1

Member evoo1 GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow -> challenging and entertaining
    Megaman ZX Series -> great for short sessions
    Nanostray -> Shmups are always good for short sessions
    Neves -> best most underrated puzzle game ever
    Space Invaders Extreme -> TRY IT NOW!

10. FlameTakuya

Member FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Singapore
    I figured all these out by myself, and I have 0 knowledge of Japanese.

I think that should convince you. [​IMG]

11. ipumuk

Member ipumuk GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    picross ds is my favorite nintendo ds game too.

other games I really liked:

- PRISM - Light the Way (VERY GOOD)
    - neves
    - pac pix
    - sodoku (in Dr Kawashima's Brain Training)
    - Dr. Reiner Knizia's Brainbenders (funnier than kawashimas brain thing and very short minigames)

I tried a lot of nds games and these are the best "pick up and play" games I have found.

12. Private|Par

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Yeah, Osu! Tatake! Ouendan take absolutely no knowledge of Japanese if you've played EBA.

I also likes games like these and have had trouble finding some... I've found Geometry Wars and Glory Days 2 good for that.

13. nicklessguy

Member nicklessguy GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Not really. When you master the game's mechanics (and that may take a while, but it's worthy) you have good times playing vs. matches against the CPU.
    I play this a lot in small free time gaps, as well as Tetris DS, because of these games quick-but-fun nature of the cpu vs matches.

- Try Looney Toones Cartoon Conductor.
    Rhythm game similar to EBA, but you makes movements with the stylus, instead of taping, like you were a maestro. Its all classical music, so you cant go wrong with that. The hardest difficulty is insanelly hard to get maximum grade on most songs (Full Combo, S+), makes EBA and the Ouendans look tame.

- Taiko no Tatsujin DS 1 & 2 also fills a lot of my casual free time. Lots of japanese boring and kiddy songs, but it also has a selection of excellent classical ones, as well as a few cool instrumentals and game songs.

- Did you finish Magnetica already? Awesome puzzler with a really long and hard Quest mode that steals a lot of time and patience to beat.

- Neves is a very nice time-killer too.

- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 - It may not look like this, but this is a casual rpg game, very oriented to short plays (though nothing blocks you from playing it non-stop if you feel like it). You get a mission at the pub, and do it, simple as that. No heavy and absorbing storyline or too much linking between events (except for some sidestory mission chains). Its more like a virtual life in Ivalice. You can play a bit now and then (each mission/battle is like 20 mins), doing something different each time.

Some others:

- Rhythm Tengoku Gold (wait for english release if you can)
    - Mr Driller
    - Polarium
    - Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary (theres an english patched one that is as good and professionally done like an official release would)
    - Geometry Wars (excellent casual shooter)
    - Space Invaders Extreme
    - Dinner Dash
    - Bangai-O Spirits (160 fun levels that you can play casually in any order)
    - Prof. Layton (Despite having a cool story, its a random puzzles collection game that you can play in short bursts. I did this)
    - Cooking Mama 1 & 2 (i still get a gold medal and unlock a few new recipes now and then when im in the mood for a relaxing and fun play)

And last, pray that Luminator doesnt become vaporware and really hits DS soon.
    There was even pre-release reviews for this, but its date still wasn't announced officially.

14. dipper145

Member dipper145 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I also really enjoy pick up and play games.

I reccomend trying out neves, and polarium.

I think a game called puzzler collection just came out that you might want to try...

A good homebrew game that I enjoy is called Puzzle Maniak, it has 20 differnt puzzles that you can quickly do. I really enjoy it.

15. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Look, I have a suggestion:

Rather than using a wall of text, why don't you create a topic about [Essentials] Best Pick Up and Play?

this way, not only you're helping yourself, you'll help other people too. There was 3 other same-themed topics

I have a few recommendations ready, but maybe you should think about my suggestion

My recommendation:

Worms Open Warfare 2 (strategy)

Soma Bringer (adventure)

Age of Empires (strategy)

Taiko no Tatsujin DS (music)

More to come, maybe in[Essentials]?

16. Gharakh

Newcomer Gharakh Member

Canada
    Great topic, have nothing to add just wanted to thank everyone for the posts. Had never tried Neves or Polarium and am having fun with both of them, and still lots more here to check out. Cheers!

17. Cresh07

Newcomer Cresh07 Advanced Member

United States
    first thing that comes to my mind is Professor Layton and the Curious Village, but idk if it is as pick up and play as you want, but givin your choice in games, you should give it a try

18. matrix121391

Member matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Someone probably already mentioned this, but seeing as how many of the replies are quite long, I don't feel like reading them. I recommend racing games, like the Need for Speed series (Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, Prostreet) or the Race Driver series (Create and Race and GRID). Theres also Asphalt GT but that game is really glitchy and can get on your nerves. All of these games though, I consider are pick up and play.

19. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    This is a pretty cool topic, I must say. I'll recommend Touch the Dead.