Gaming Best PC game or MMO

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, recently I've had a lot of spare time so I am thinking of getting a PC game. It can be for any OS ( not that mac and Linux have games) or browser baser but it can't be too demanding as my gfx card is carp.
Ive heard a lot about minecraft and wow but I don't know much about them. I'm like pretty much any genre except for sports.
Thanks in advance

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can we get some specefics about your computer first so we know what games it can handle?
Also what you like because i can think a hundreds of games that i like but you probably think are shit

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love star craft and i can play it almost lag free(only lag if i have a 200 units which is alot)on my 2.6ghz 1core AMD turion(1 core) with 3 gb plays even better on my desktops amd 4 core. anthlon II

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
btyre said:
Free MMO as all my money is going towards upgrading my rig
Can you please give me some personal preferences, like 2D or 3D, easy leveling or hard-leveling, time consuming or not that time consuming, and more, oh and if any of your friends play MMO's play with them. =)

QUOTE(zeromac @ Nov 7 2010, 12:29 PM) I'm pirating Fallout: New Vegas atm so you could try that
fixed

D

Deleted User

get Starcraft 2, Minecraft or Lord of the Rings Online, that will burn alot of time

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you can try Maplestory. It's free, addicting, there's a ton of stuff to do, and it's not graphics-heavy. It's like 7 years old and in 2D.

Chances are you've already heard of it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
MapleStory is good, although I feel there are far too many quests for its own good. Or you can try Runescape. Java-based MMORPG with an interesting economy system. World of Warcraft is the most popular MMORPG out there (and one of the few that still earn its Pay2Play status), although towards the higher levels there's a lot of elitism going on concerning role expectations and raid groups.

If you like Final Fantasy and Star Ocean, you might like The Last Remnant and Phantasy Star Universe, although both may be quite slow without at least a mid-ranged graphics card from the last 2 years.

You might also like to try out BYOND, which is a retro-style game developer community with some fairly successful games like Final Fantasy Legends (based on FF4). It's also full of Naruto, Bleach and DragonBall style games, but that's because it's fairly easy to create a game with the Dream Maker toolset and some people can't come up with anything original.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
MapleStory is good, although I feel there are far too many quests for its own good. Or you can try Runescape. Java-based MMORPG with an interesting economy system. World of Warcraft is the most popular MMORPG out there (and one of the few that still earn its Pay2Play status), although towards the higher levels there's a lot of elitism going on concerning role expectations and raid groups.

If you like Final Fantasy and Star Ocean, you might like The Last Remnant and Phantasy Star Universe, although both may be quite slow without at least a mid-ranged graphics card from the last 2 years.

Phantasy Star Universe for PC/Playstation2 has been permanently (officially) offline since March. I was pissed about that. I briefly considered getting an XBOX 360 so I could continue playing it, but there's no way I could stand to pay to have to rebuild a character and she was only like level 64 Fortegunner.

PSO Blue Burst schthack server is still alive and kicking though, and I do play it occasionally but my boyfriend lost interest. It's an excellent game that doesn't have high system requirements and it's managed actively by a community. For players of the Blue Burst version cheating is strictly banned and it's not possible to enter games with players of other platforms who are allowed to. This game is moderately difficult without a gamepad though, and nearly impossible if you've always played the game with a gamepad and suddenly don't have one >.> I also never knew how to use the shortcut buttons until a couple months ago though I've played there off and on for years! The shorcut buttons are very useful, basically all you do is highlight a spell/item in the menu like you were gonna put it on your palette but press the corresponding number key instead. Pretty sure you can map phrases or symbol chats to them too, but I can't test that.

I have played WoW off and on since 2006 (and I'm currently semi active), but would not be able to play with you in game unless we connected to a private server together (European WoW clients cannot connect to US servers, and vice versa). People seem to forget how prevalent private servers are for WoW. They are nowhere near as fun as live, nor as stable, but if you can't afford more than the free trial you'd be able to try private servers. I don't know what their status is at across the board since the last huge pre-cataclysm patch though, I haven't messed with WoW private servers since late summer (to play w/a friend who couldn't afford his sub).

Recent modifications were made to a couple parts of the graphical engine (most notably, water rendering) so the game looks nicer than ever. Also, a fully updated install of WoW is ~22 gigs at the moment (though it may take up more space if you save your patching files). It takes an awful lot more machine to run the game than it did 4 years ago, but I was also happy playing it at 1024x768 4 years ago..

The elitism among the higher levels does exist (it happened 4 years ago too, there was just a MUCH smaller percentage of active raiding population ridiculing the undergeared). It's easy to avoid having it directed at you it until you actually hit max level though. Turn off trade chat. Keep in touch with friends who can give you advice. Try to do dungeons with people you know if you're not familiar with grouping. Use the WoW forums as a resource to study your class if you don't have a lot of people to talk to about those things. If you feel comfortable in your role then go ahead and do random dungeon groups often so you can practice at it. Or just enjoy the thousands of quests, try multiple classes, or try different races/factions. There's a butt-ton to do in this game. Private servers don't always have the best set up for people who enjoy storyline/lore though.

Anyway after all I've said about WoW, I'd have to recommend Lord of the Rings Online too because they did go free to play recently (but I don't know if they fixed the Europe distribution issues yet). It is an incredibly solid MMO for a free to start playing game, I had actually bought the game in 2007 when it came out because I was bored with WoW. There's a pretty good post-F2P release review of it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KVsXEZGJS8 (BFF Report).

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Full Games: Flyff, Fiesta Online, Maplestory, Runes of Magic, Dungeons and Dragons, Allods, Ragnarok, Atlantica, Supreme Destiny, Perfect World, MU, Grand Fantasia, Vindictus, Rappelz, Cabal, Dragonica, Neo Steam, LOTRO, RAN, Tales of Pirates, Trickster

Browser Based: AQ Worlds, Runescape, Travian, Pet Forest/Canaan Online

A Couple that aren't RPG: Pangya, Audition, Highstreet5, DANCE!, Steps

Free MMO? There are plenty. All of the above are free.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
To add to the list above, RF Online has also become F2P (sci-fi/fantasy MMORPG cross).

Audition is a bit strange because each region has a different selection of music. Of all the ones I've tried, I prefer the SEA tracklist.

For Phantasy Star Universe, it's still a good enough game just to play through the storyline in single player, even if the online multiplayer no longer exists. Also I used to play the schthack server of PSO on my Gamecube, although I found the sudden spike in difficulty (between the offline and online maps) quite intimidating when I first tried it. At the time I had a few friends who also tried it out with me and it was a lot of fun, but then other games stole our interest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...