best Pay as you go Plan/service (US)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by chrisrlink, Apr 26, 2014.

1. chrisrlink
    OP

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    I'm starting work in a week and was thinking of doing a Pay as you go (currently on Parents plan (Verizon) and am willing to start off on my own I asked my friend and he said straight talk is that the best in your opinion I'm mainly looking for unlimited text (to US and Canada (gf lives in Vancouver) and Unlimited Data as well (planning on getting an android phone) any input would be greatly helpful

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
  3. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    If your area has good coverage for it, Virgin Mobile is a good option. It's unlimited text and data (throttled after 2.5 GB) and 300 minutes for $35 per month. Unlike most MVNOs like Straight Talk, you get full 4G speeds until you hit that soft 2.5 GB cap. Definitely check the coverage map first though. It works great for me but I'm in a heavily populated suburban area; YMMV. I also don't know if international texting is included with that.

The thing you have to remember with these prepaid carriers is that you must buy the phone up-front, since there's no contract to subsidize the cost of the phone. Expect to pay a couple hundred dollars for a decent Android phone. You can skimp on this if you must, but you'll run into frustrations trying to run an outdated phone on today's software.

4. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    Im on the kroger iwireless $50 plan, you can use most sprint phone.
    Don't worry about the 2GB limit, im a ingress player and i only use about 1GB a month (Game+groupme+Google plus)