Best option to hack a 60gb phat on 4.83 ofw?

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a release UK 60gb phat ps3 which I’ve been thinking about hacking but not taken the leap just yet, turned it on last night after a few years to check the fw and it turns out it’s on 4.83. What is my best option to hack from here? I’ve been wanting to upgrade the 60gb hard disk to 1tb, so do I hack before or after swapping it out?
Other than one being permanent & the other needing you to run a launcher is there any real difference between cfw & hen?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably recommend changing to the 1tb first and then installing cfw on the ps3
1.5TB is the max for PS3 so I'd go with that.

CFW? Yes, that's what we all would like, but if the firmware is beyond 3.50/3.55 then you have to go with HFW. Unless you'd use an E3 Flasher or something to downgrade.

So, if you want to go with HFW the free option, check out this video:

http://ps3xploit.com/

Should take you just 10mins or less.

And there's a tool to unlock an extra amount of space that could be useful for you:

My 160GB now has 140GB usable (10GBs were hidden away and believe it or not, it's great to have that available on small HDDs).

Reactions: rantex92

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1.5TB is the max for PS3 so I'd go with that.

CFW? Yes, that's what we all would like, but if the firmware is beyond 3.50/3.55 then you have to go with HFW. Unless you'd use an E3 Flasher or something to downgrade.

So, if you want to go with HFW the free option, check out this video:

http://ps3xploit.com/

Should take you just 10mins or less.

And there's a tool to unlock an extra amount of space that could be useful for you:

My 160GB now has 140GB usable (10GBs were hidden away and believe it or not, it's great to have that available on small HDDs).

1)if you could link 1.5tb drives available in the UK as I’ve not had much luck from reputable seller/not over priced.

2)the guy you linked also has this video

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finding a 1.5TB 2.5" that isn't overpriced isn't an easy find although you could sign up for eBay alerts of it.

1.5TB 2.5" isn't in demand (I think), but the prices just don't drop.

And about that video, in that he shows how to flash and install CFW on a PS3 that's compatible. If you feel comfortable and have the knowledge, then that may be fine for you. HFW from personal experience is a one-click hack so it's not much of a chore.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a release UK 60gb phat ps3 which I’ve been thinking about hacking but not taken the leap just yet, turned it on last night after a few years to check the fw and it turns out it’s on 4.83. What is my best option to hack from here? I’ve been wanting to upgrade the 60gb hard disk to 1tb, so do I hack before or after swapping it out?
Other than one being permanent & the other needing you to run a launcher is there any real difference between cfw & hen?
before going with hen try if you can install cfw via Bgtoolset *no soldering or any other kind of tool needed
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/guide-jailbreaking-with-bgtoolset.33461/

most phats are mostlikely to be cfw able

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had not seen that video before and finished just now. Wow, CFW is that easy nowadays? Nice.

I have two PS3s with HEN, but think I'll install CFW on them the next time I use them.

Mr. Mario is super helpful. 🙂

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
before going with hen try if you can install cfw via Bgtoolset *no soldering or any other kind of tool needed

most phats are mostlikely to be cfwfr

most phats are mostlikely to be cfw able
not run the tool yet but from what I’ve read mine should be compatible, just not sure which option would be the best. There’s a 4.89 cfw by the looks of it tho I can’t work out if it’s only for those on older cfw or if someone on 4.89 can hack the system and install it as the guides I’ve seen for 4.89 mention hen.

Last edited by fowler002,

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not run the tool yet but from what I’ve read mine should be compatible, just not sure which option would be the best. There’s a 4.89 cfw by the looks of it tho I can’t work out if it’s only for those on older cfw or if someone on 4.89 can hack the system and install it as the guides I’ve seen for 4.89 mention hen.
All fat systems can install cfw. You can install HEN on them too if you'd like.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
All fat systems can install cfw. You can install HEN on them too if you'd like.
Thanks but in terms of my question what would you say the best best option for me is? Any particular version 4.83+4.89 that’s the best(most stable, best features etc)?
Also other than permanent vs having to rerun on every restart of the console is there any difference between cfw & hen?

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its for both you can jb with it and update/restore with the same cfw.pup

cfw is "better" than hen the coldboot with cfw is obvious but here are some more things what cfw can what hen dont can

- ripping bd movies from disk
- converting to a DEX
- anything SDK related like signing of .psarch archieves or self made pkgs(dont get confused with fpkgs thos will always work since there are fake signed)
-playing ps2isos without encrypting them for ps2classiclauncher

if those arent features youre intressted in go with hen in the end both will do the job fine for normal users

i can recommend evilnats 4.89 cfw since rebug rex cfw is "dead"

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks but in terms of my question what would you say the best best option for me is? Any particular version 4.83+4.89 that’s the best(most stable, best features etc)?
Also other than permanent vs having to rerun on every restart of the console is there any difference between cfw & hen?
Just start by hacking it using any compatible HFW version with bgtoolset as mentioned then you can either install Evilnat 4.89 if you want/need (for PSN) lastest version or you can always downgrade to any version you want. Note that you'll need to take extra caution if you want to log in to PSN (always use a separate account first).

There's isn't much difference between CFW and HEN but there's no reason to not go the CFW route on your PS3 since you can install it

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fowler002, out of curiosity, how much did that PAL 60GB console cost you? They've gone up in price because it plays (emulated) PS2 games, but buying a non-BC/Slim model and hack it would be a better deal overall, imo.

That model does have one thing non-BC don't, and that's the chrome look. It genuinely looks really nice and stylish.

ps3chart.jpg

https://videogame911.com/playstation-3-version-information/

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@fowler002, out of curiosity, how much did that PAL 60GB console cost you? They've gone up in price because it plays (emulated) PS2 games, but buying a non-BC/Slim model and hack it would be a better deal overall, imo.

That model does have one thing non-BC don't, and that's the chrome look. It genuinely looks really nice and stylish.

ps3chart.jpg

maybe i can answer that since germany is pal too chechc costs here about 150 - 180 euro and a checha goes around 200-250 most of them are from japan so they can be frankensteined (40nm rsx replaced) chechb is very rare to find here and anyother ps3 models run between 80 -180 *all prices are from ebay and local pawnshops

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

ps3chart.jpg

I’ve had it since new got it not too long after release, can’t remember the exact price but I managed to get 10% off through my mum’s work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol