Hacking Best option for loading GC games from disc?

DownSince86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I've got an older Wii (purchased shortly after launch) that was softmodded way back when the twilight hack was still the new thing on the block. I'm running Wii games from cfgloader and UNEEK+DI and I got my WiiWare through UNEEK.

Now I'm interested in running GC backups from disc. I kinda missed out on the 'cube (aside from the big titles) and I'd like to go back and see what I missed out on. I'm also interested in running some homebrew in GC mode.

I know my drive can read DVD-Rs but I've never used it for anything but retail games. So I'm a little concerned about what kind of wear and tear I'll be placing on the drive if I start running a lot of GC backups. Anyone around here that has been running backups from a disc for awhile, hows your drive holding up?

I also have a few questions:

1. I see a lot of people are recommending using NeoGamma/cMIOS to run GC backups. How is the compatibility with this set-up? Can I run NTSC-J games on my NTSC-U Wii through this method? How does this handle games that use audio streaming?

2. I was looking at modchips. I've never had one in my console but if this is required to get audio streaming games working correctly I'm more than willing to install one. I've also heard that some chips allow GC games to be read at 6x speeds. What modchip supports these features and are there any downsides to having one installed? I'm also a little lost when it comes to finding a place to buy one....who stocks Wii modchips in the USA? I don't want to hand my money over to some random vendor who might not even ship what I ordered.

BTW before anyone replies: I don't want a WODE. I looked at one and it isn't what I want. I want something that supports audio streaming games and I don't feel like buying another HDD/constantly switching my current HDD between the Wii's usb port and the WODE. I want to run GC games from disc

I appreciate any responses.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...as far as I understand it, the streaming audio problem is caused by direct commands of the game of reading the DVD. As such, it only matters if you're trying to redirect the DVD-input through USB (in other words: it only matters for WODE and dios mios).

I haven't tried neogamma in a while, but I highly doubt that region issues are a problem. I know for a fact that I've played more than a few NTSC games on my PAL wii (and that was some revisions/betas/versions ago).

As for running gamecube homebrew...I honestly have no idea. Neogamma supports ocarina and I noticed that wiixplorer has some support for gamecube homebrew, but other than that...I don't know.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Latest Neogamma and the internal "cmios" are mind blowing good.
He even managed to fix the dungeon map lag in Windwaker.

Look at the stickies. Make sure you have good media to burn if you are making multi iso's.
Best Contrller to use is an original GC controller ( Wavebird for wireless ).

google purple cube

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr