Best modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Midna, Apr 26, 2008.

Apr 26, 2008

Best modchip by Midna at 8:46 PM (1,868 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    In your guys opinion, what is the best wii modchip? Aragon, D2pro or the Wasabi? I'm buying a premodded driveboard, so installation diffuculty and price of the chip doesn't matter.

Thanx in advance [​IMG]

2. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    bumpity bumpity bump!

3. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Doesn't "I'm buying a premodded driveboard" == "I have more money then sense"? [​IMG]

4. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    No, it means I screwed up my last driveboard, so my other option would be to buy a replacement drive and screw that one up too. Please, I asked for help, not for you guys to mock me. [​IMG]

5. phyl0x

Newcomer phyl0x Advanced Member

United States
    its hard to get a good answer to these types of questions because most forum members are going to recommend the ones they have, having never tried the others. but from what i understand the wasabi chip is the big thing right now, so id have to suggest that one, although i have zero experience with it (see not a very good recommendation i suppose). i personally have a wiikey and dont have any problems with that.

6. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Yeah, the wasabi sounds good, but what of these programmers for the aragon and d2pro? is using them better or worse than a dvd update?

7. phyl0x

Newcomer phyl0x Advanced Member

United States
    well unless you wanna be taking your wii apart everytime a new firmware comes out, id say dvd upgrading is a rather nice feature; however some people fear nintendo will throw an update for the chip on a game or something (which obviously hasnt happened yet...nor probably will it) thus killing your chip..but our scenester friends here will probably point that out and will rip the update out of the iso's publically released.

8. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Okay, I think I'll go with Wasabi, if just for the DVD upgradability. (unless someone wants to convince me otherwise)

9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Wasabi's DVD update feature hasn't been demonstrated yet, and seeing how D2C are using a different method than DMS/D2A/D2B modchips, it's probable that a way to do direct DVD updates on a D2C has yet to be discovered. So, until a update for Wasabi's out, let's stay on the safe side [​IMG]

I've heard that Argon was a bit buggy, but that the new versions are stable.

D2Pro is coming from the D2CKey guys, so it's pretty sure that's a good modchip, seeing I've seen very few complains coming from people with a D2CKey [​IMG]

10. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    So you mean that it's possible that the wasabi team said that they had dvd upgradability, but never planed to release any updates? Sneaky...

Anyway, how often would I have to open up my wii and update with a programmer If I bought a d2pro or aragon? 'Cause I don't like dismantling my expensive items too often.

11. raulpica

Italy
    I'm not saying that they lied [​IMG] I don't have proof to say that [​IMG]

Maybe they are/were working on it, but we still have to see something, only that.
    What if they fail in finding a working/safe way to do it? No DVD updates, and no Programmer updates. And that's BAD [​IMG]

About the updates... Hmm... Not too often, expect an update everytime a big game gets released with a new protection. You could skip "little" updates like new features or little small bug-fixes if you don't need them [​IMG]

12. drock360

Member drock360 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would recommend the D2pro because it is the new chip made by the makers of the D2Ckey. It is DVD upgradeable and very stable. I think they have a 9 wire install now too!

13. raulpica

Italy
    Are you sure about DVD upgradeability? I did know that it was updateable only via D2Pro, and there's no mention of DVD upgrading on the official site...

You're right about the 9-wire install [​IMG] But you'll need one of the new batches of D2Pro, otherwise you'd need to buy the SPI Flash "expansion" separately and then solder it on the D2Pro upper-left part.

14. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    thanks for all your help, guys. I think I'll get a d2pro (new revision if possible) as so many people like using it and they are definetly trustworthy.