Best mod chip w/o soldering

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by charpsp20, Jun 2, 2009.

Jun 2, 2009
  1. charpsp20
    OP

Newcomer charpsp20 Advanced Member

United States
    hey guys,

Im finally ready to try modding my wii now that I see there are solderless options; My question is which is the best? So far Ive heard about Drivekey and Wasabi DX which both look really easy to install; are there any others that are good and where should I buy (im in TX)? Also I havent update my firmware in awhile but just checking: 4.0 firmware only affects softmods right?

My requisites for a good modchip:

1) Easy to install and no soldering
    2) Has great compatibility for Wii/GC backups
    3) Relatively inexpensive

2. supermodchips

Member supermodchips GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The best one in my opinion would be the Drivekey as it just slots in-between the motherboard and a certain cable.
    The following is from the official GBAtemp review of the Drivekey. Click here.

How easy is the installation? I’m sure, if you’ve spent any time looking into modding, you’ve stumbled across any of the multitude of tutorials available for instruction on opening your system for adding any number of possible chips. Take a look at any of them, and after you cross the point of opening the shell and lifting the dvd drive from the rest of the Wii, stop! At that point, you disconnect the ribbon from the Wii to the DVD, check the region dip-switches on the chip (so it’s sure to be set to your region) hook the Wii cable into the "Wii" side of the chip, and connect the included ribbon cable to the "DVD" side of the chip and connect it to the DVD drive. Then you... oh wait, that’s it. You have two choices at this point. Grab some electrical tape, cover the chip, and stick it down (to prevent shorting) OR you can use the included flat DriveKey sticker! I know, its a minor pack-in, but its nice to include as many needed tools in the packaging Follow the steps in reverse (or find a closing tutorial) to close your system, and it should be good to go!

3. charpsp20
    OP

United States
    thanks; yah i saw that article.

After review the drive key wasabi dx and zero though, i think the wasabi zero is what im looking for: its solderless just like the drive key, plays both wii AND gc games (aka gc audio fix) just fine, and its cheap. i did a serial scan on my wii and it says theres a 50/50 of either d2b or dms so i think im safe in choosing this chip. now i just have to find a seller. please let me know if im make a good decision or not and where i should buy in USA. Thanks!

4. spathi-wa

Newcomer spathi-wa Newbie

India
    The zero is solderless only if you're 100% sure that you have an epoxy-free drive. To be safe, hold off on ordering the chip till after you have confirmed what you have in your wii. I am using a zero, but my drive had epoxy on the chip and I switched it with a d2b from a broken wii for the solderless zero support.

5. charpsp20
    OP

United States
    hmmm...well i dont really want to open my wii until im ready to install a chip; so this goes back to my original post; what solderless wii chip will work for both gc and wii games? if it helps my wii was manufactured in 2006 as well.

6. HDCM

Newcomer HDCM Member

Australia
    In all honesty,

I would recommend getting a Wiikey2 soldered as this doesn't limit the drive speed and its very simple to install on the older drives.

If you've got your heart set on solder less, go for the drive key [​IMG].

We haven't received one piece of bad feedback from our customers about the drive key so far,

try to avoid the "clips" as they usually end up causing more damage to the security chip pins.