Best Mod Chip for PS2?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by forkyfork, Jul 6, 2006.

1. forkyfork
    OP

forkyfork GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2006
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    I'm thinking about getting a modded PS2. I have a modded PSX that has served me well over the years, but it's starting to suffer from slowdown on a lot of games.

Which mod-chip would you recommend that can play burned PSX games as well as PS2 games? I don't need a lot of frilly stuff - that is my main goal.

Also - what is a good price to expect to pay for a modified console? Do you think they'll drop down severely in price once the ps3 is released?

2. serious_sean

serious_sean GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2005
    United States
    i have a dms3 in my ps2, it's served me well for years. the dm4 is, i think, the standard now.
    unless you are teh supreme solderer, i wouldn't try to install it yourself. order it online.

the other option is a flip-top mod, which is solderless and supposedly quite good.

as far as the price goes, i wouldnt count on a big drop.
    the price is combined chip+labor+pstwo, and unless one of those drops a lot, the price will probably stay fixed.

3. forkyfork
    OP

forkyfork GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2006
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    the dm4 can play burned psx games, right, not just ps2?

What price is reasonable to expect? I will definitely pay someone to do all the work for me. I don't know the first thing about sodering!

4. Azimuth

Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Feb 23, 2006
    Canada
    I too hav a dsm3 iv had it for 2-3 years it plays both burned psx and ps2 games, i got it with installation for about 30 bucks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice