best method of playing backups on a slim PS2?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by bras, Apr 16, 2018.

1. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Excellent thanks. Figured it out a minute ago

Glad
    To confirm settings

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Do fmv’s ever skip for you
    ?

Over usb they are downright unplayable but one game I tried it pauses every few seconds. I’m hoping it’s exception to the rule

I know smb is slower than internal hard drive on the fat model or ps2netbox but I’m hoping it’s not an issue In General

Also do you have problems with it picking up connection On boot until you “reconnect” in settings of OPL?

Thanks for all your help you’re great

3. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    my test game is battle stadium don and the opening plays fine over eth, I've also tested the attract and intro of drakengard and also plays fine, haven't played the game though.

the ps2 usually boots faster than the minirouter, so you are better off setting eth to manual so you can wait until the minirouter boots up before pressing X to load the list.

playstays_shun likes this.
  4. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Thanks!

I’m assuming some games just skip fmv’s or take brief load periods like The Bouncer it says it does in compatibility list.

5. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    bad luck... mine just went bad. not the hard drive or ps2 but the mini router

ordering another I expect my luck was just not good since you've been using this as a solution for a while sounds like.

Also the USB port was crooked on one side enough I had to lightly forcefully jam it in the mini router

Last edited by playstays_shun, May 29, 2019
  6. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    what a shame.
    I indeed have been using it for a long time without an issue and also did the same for a friend.
    well in fact one of the 2 mini routers I have now kind of "died" on its own, stopped even turning on the leds, but after a couple hours I went to examine it, plugged it in and started working again, it has never failed again.

7. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    its all good ill give it another try..

its weird the light comes on, just doesn't connect to ps2.

tried hard reset pin too, same problem. laptop doesn't recognize the IP address printed on the side to pull up the settings

I almost feel like it happened as soon as I changed setting to manual for ETH instead of auto and saved (on that boot up of the system, same time, it stopped working ) , but I seriously seriously doubt that had any impact /anything software related would, lol I think I just got a bum unit

Last edited by playstays_shun, May 29, 2019
  8. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Is there an easy way to run an updated OPL build from the one that came with my FMCB memory card?

Don’t mind if updating on memory card or to play it safe, maybe run it from hard drive if possible? Not sure

I think it may help w compatibilitynim on 0.9.3

9. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    - go here: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3&sid=47cc3bc961b07f8e93b261f230b5f9d9
    and download the latest daily build (FYI, RTL means it supports right to left languages).
    - inside the zip a there is a OPNPS2LD.ELF file, copy that file to a (fat32 formatted) pendrive and plug it into your ps2.
    - turn on your ps2 and open ulaunchelf.
    - if you want to just test it the new opl you can open it directly from the pendrive (mass:/).
    - if you want to replace your current opl version then locate that very same file inside of your memory card and replace it (it should be inside of the apps, boot or opl folder).
    - profit.

10. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Thanks and is there a need to rename cfg folder ? I heard it was renamed for newer builds. Does that impact something I need to do with OPL manager?

Wanna be cautious

Also can this be done from my same hard drive used for games temporarily hooked up to USB port, or do I have to put it on a thumb drive. Do u think a usb to sd card would work? I can always get another thumb drive if need be but gotta look for mine or just buy another

-

Generally w OPL latest are they much better than being on an older?

Last edited by playstays_shun, Jun 16, 2019
  11. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    yes, they did had a cfg-dev folder for some time, but they reverted back to just cfg, if you do have that cfg-dev folder you can rename it to cfg and forget about it.

you can use the same drive I guess, as long as you can access it with ulaunchelf it will work. I just use my multi purpose pendrive for such tasks but anything will do as long as it is recognized by ulaunchelf.

12. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    thanks!

and is there a way to backup the existing opl build I have on memory card?

as long as I just replace that file, i shouldn't mess anything up on fmcb side?

usb attached hard drive worked and launched,

13. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    sure, just copy the opnps2ld.elf inside your memory card somewhere safe.
    opl is just an app, even if you mess it up, is not going to break fmcb in any way.

14. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Worked great thanks

Just had to rename to OPL.elf on MC since that was the original naming convention no biggy tho

How often do u update your build ? Still pretty good progress being made ?

15. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    not very often. almost all the most common problems are already solved so unless you are waiting for a feature or fix that is being developed, is best to update when you feel like it.
    you know what they say, don't fix what isn't broken.

16. playstays_shun

May 22, 2019
    United States
    Thanks

In my case it’s cleared up all strangeness or broken behavior the random few times I’ve come across it. Appreciate your help